• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bobber Down

Rapala Scatter Rap..............test report

Bobber Down

I trolled in D&R a few days ago and picked up a Scatter Rap Gold Minnow and a couple shad examples. They are the latest offering from Rapala with a unique lip making the bait move erraticly with an evasive sweeping action. The faster you reel the more of a sweeping side to side action you get.

So, this afternoon (before the storm hit) I decided to go give em a few casts down at the mouth of the Current River. A few casts into my testing I noticed a follower (Pike) break away as I reeled it up. Well, I thought to myself this is interesting. I quickly snapped a Line Dancer (which would make the action even more erratic) on my rod and took another cast.

What I saw of this fish was about 9 inches of a side view wide fairly close to the tail as it ripped my line to shreds and left with my only gold Scatter Rap. I was speechless. You guessed it. No leader. After all it was just a test to see if they would perform as advertized. Just threw it on my spinning outfit with 8lb test.

Thats the only excuse I have. So, anyway I suppose this new Rapala does have something going for it after all. 4 or 5 casts and two fish seen and one lost. And a nice one at that judging from the side view.

I now have a few more and will be looking for the one that got away. I'd say "buy em". Imagine how well they will work for walleye and pike on a lake like Lac if they get so much attention at the mouth of Current River.

post-1835-0-41126200-1370051456_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

tronnyd88

those look pretty interesting. i use rapalas alot. seems like they would be good to get fish out of cover. thanx for the test report i think im gunna buy and try a couple at arrow lake.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I got one from Lyle in the ice out contest. Trolled around the mouth of current river all the way past the marina. It was the light blue back and white belly. Hooked multiple pike. Great lure.

Foz

I'll have to get myself some of there, what colours or patterns are best?

pastor norm

I picked a couple at DnR too.

Will try them out at Shebs tomorrow.

Side by side test trolling...

joks

I picked up a shad scatter rap will I was down In Duluth today but what I wanted was a Live Target herring pattern but I just couldn't justify spending 17.99 US for a jointed one. They look amazing though and someday I will pick one up but just make sure I don't use it on a lake with pike in it.

post-1030-0-64711900-1370139050_thumb.jp

McGinnis_Fishing

Ya the live target lures look amazing but they are very pricey!

Zackcorbin1401

What is the price on the rapala scatter rap. I'm thinking about picking a few up for next weekend

Zackcorbin1401

Ok thanks

Scatter rap shads are $10.49 at Dnr. I assume the other scatter baits are the same.

pastor norm

at lower Shebs for a little while with my wife trolling the shore.

scatter raps minnows: 0 (me)

regular floating raps: 6 (wife)

I think it was the colour difference more than the action.

The scatter raps don't have the colours I usually use.

Or maybe it was her pink line.

Or maybe she hexed me.

BTW --- scatter raps floaters dive a little deeper than a regular floater by a foot or so.

May I ask what colours were used. I'm curious because the scatter rap I have also comes in the original floater color. The light blue back and white belly. My favourite has always been black back and gold belly. For such a simple bait it's amazing.

Bobber Down

I gave these new raps a good workout on Lac this weekend. I used these exclusively against my partners who rigged with jigs and little joe spinners. Fished various depths between 6ft and 14ft and caught many wallleye from 12 inches to 22 inches. Used various colours but the main producer for me was the Gold Minnow. Man the fish hit these hard. You do not lose walleye once they smash this bait. Also, many northerns and bass took the opportunity to get a seemingly easy meal.......Not! In the end the scatter rap outfished the other offerings 3 to 1. Not bad in my opinion. I'm sold on this bait. Pick a few up!!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

I'm going to go to the kam Wednesday for the day and plan to give them a shot. I'm hoping the erratic actions will really let the fish hone in on it. I'm also worried that in the murky water they may have a higher chance of missing it. I guess ill find out haha. I've noticed no problems in regards to fish missing them in clearer water.

pastor norm

I and quite certain that the scatter raps (4 inch floating slim profile) will clobber the fish in Dog Lake. They dive at least 2 feet deeper and tended to pick up weeds in the shallow places I was trolling lately. Dog lake has deeper drop offs... a slim profile crankbait that dives (with a medium split shot) 7-9 feet should work just about right. Now that the spawn is behind them, the natural colours (including blue) will be good. I will post a report soon, but I haven't caught a fish on them yet! To be fair, a side by side crankbait test is better than comparing a crank to a spinner. Often it seems the fish prefer one or the other on any given day in the same lake. Dog Lake is one of these lakes. One day they want the spinners. Other days they prefer the raps.

Foz

When the fishing is on, and I'm on my game, I'm deadly with the spinner and bottom bouncer combo.

kbrest

I'm going to go to the kam Wednesday for the day and plan to give them a shot. I'm hoping the erratic actions will really let the fish hone in on it. I'm also worried that in the murky water they may have a higher chance of missing it. I guess ill find out haha. I've noticed no problems in regards to fish missing them in clearer water.

Thinking about heading there myself for the day, what time are you thinking of going? I picked up some of the scatter raps looking at trying out.

Me and a buddy are heading out around 8 or 9. Gonna go from Montreal launch, (neste boat launch) up to old fort and back. Unless we find a good reason to stop on the way up, ie fish haha.

kbrest

lol, right on I will probably see you out there then.

Well. Went out from 9-2:30 on the kam. Tried scatter rap for a while with no luck. Switched to a husky jerk and x rap and the fish started hitting. Ended up only boating 6 fish. 2 pike 2 bass and 2 walleye, lost a few others. I don't think that I am ruling out the scatter rap as one trip isn't enough. But I've always loved the husky jerk and its still my number 1. Hard to beat.

pastor norm

Mmmm.... the real question is -- did the action of a scatter rap outperform the other comparable raps? So far, no. So far, quite the opposite. Too soon to say. But unless I see some remarkable positive difference between the scatters and the floaters or the huskies or the countdowns or the clackers or the shads, or the taildancers, I will assume I got suckered in. ..... At least the huskies and the scatters troll at about the same depth. My wife and I both enjoy trolling with crankbaits.

Lyle Reiner

The only thing Ive caught on the scatter minnow has been pike and a small perch. Not Impressed.

The BX minnow on the other hand.... I LOVE IT

The BX Swimmer in the fire tiger pattern is going to be DEADLY this fall in the Nipigon river

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

I agree. So far, I consider the scatter rap to be a crazy original floater. I am looking forward to trying them for lakers or salmon as I think the action may shine in clearer water. We will see. I will report back. I am still not giving up on this lure yet.