• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bobber Down

Rapala Scatter Rap..............test report

Bobber Down

Sunday (all day) I will test the Scatter Rap against the original floaters. This time my partner wants to use the Scatter rap. Can't blame her after seeing what happened last weekend. Monday I want to compare the scatter raps against the Berkley Flicker Shads and see what happens. Anyone have any experience with the flicker shads? Normally I'm a lil joe guy so trolling or casting cranks is something I don't use all that often. I will post results Monday night and let you know how it went. If you fish Lac in the Pine Point area give a wave! Have a great weekend fishing and stay safe.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Bobber Down

Well, things don't always go as planned and this weekend was no exception. I was planning to compare the Rapala Original Floater to the Scatter Rap but I made the mistake of putting a Flicker Shad on my wifes line first. So the Rapala Scatter Rap Minnow - Berkley Flicker Shad comparison test was on for day one and what started as a mistake ended up being a weekend long Flicker Shad walleye spanking.

I hearby announce to the world that this weekend has been the only time where my wife has ever caught more fish than me.......and she did it with the Flicker Shad. However I do take part of the glory seeing that I put her on the fish to begin with lol.

Sunday we fished the usual windswept shorelines, islands, bays etc. We caught but it wasn't anything to write home about numbers wise. Lots of other boats around drifting and anchored making it difficult to troll without wide swings off the depths and speed I wanted to maintain. Ended up keeping 4 eaters for dinner.. Total walleye caught - Flicker Shad 8 Scatter Rap 3

Monday was a late start and we got on the lake around 11am. I decided to fish a bit differently. A way that is contrary to any walleye hunters knowledge of his quarry. A way that, being noticed by passers by would envoke thoughts like, "what the hell is he doing fishing there" or "wonder what he's fishing for in there"

We fished a quiet bay, slack water, still and calm. There was 2 islands, a Loon and an Eagle keeping us company. Water was 71F and water depth was 8 to 17 feet. Wouldn't you know it we limited out in less than 2 hours trolling back n forth in front of and around those islands. Hey, it was quiet and why leave fish to go find fish.............right. Total walleye caught - Flicker Shad 12 Scatter Rap 5

SO. What did I learn from all this? I'm still trying to process it. It's never happened to me before. Is the flicker shad better than the scatter rap? It was this weekend. I know my wife will always want to fish with a flicker shad from now on. Oh, it was the pearl white size 6. I guess I better buy a few more.

A word of caution. Those flicker shad hooks are extremely sharp. While unhooking a fish it gave one more futile thrashing attempt to get away and I ended up getting a treble in the palm of my hand below my baby finger. YIKES!!! You should have seen the look on my wifes face when I told her to call 911 lol. And then the look when I dug out my Knipex Cutters and told her I have to cut my finger off. And then the look when I told her she had to pull the hook out with fishing line hahaha. In the end though she did a good job and you can't even tell there was a hood embeded in my hand. Good thing I watched a video on youtube showing the easy treble hook removal method.

BOTTOM LINE................."Flicker Shads"

post-1835-0-54517100-1372734794_thumb.jp

post-1835-0-47273600-1372734862_thumb.jp

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Foz

How were you fishing these lures? Were you mostly casting them or were you trolling them as well?

Foz

I'm heading out to Lac this Wednesday, I think I should pick up some of these to try. Isaac.

pastor norm

thanks for the report! the flicker shads must have been trolled at about the same depth as the scatters raps...and I don't think the scatters have a pearl white version.

Bobber Down

How were you fishing these lures? Were you mostly casting them or were you trolling them as well?

We were trolling.

Bobber Down

thanks for the report! the flicker shads must have been trolled at about the same depth as the scatters raps...and I don't think the scatters have a pearl white version.

Trolled within about 1 foot or so. The flicker shads seem to have the erratic action at a slower speed compared to the Scatter Rap, which needs to be moving faster to get the action the were designed to produce. I believe most with a white bottom and darker back would be just as effective as one called Pearl White. At about half the price of a Scatter the Flickers are a good buy in my opinion. Just need to have the depths covered if you don't want to use additional weights. I forgot to mention that we were using a 9" leader attatched to both baits to keep the Pike from being be a problem child. The fish didn't seem to mind.

McGinnis_Fishing

So from what im hearing the scatter rap might not be the right bait for walleye just because you either have to troll it a little bit faster then the walleye would like to get that action. or troll slower but not have the right action... If that makes any sence! Hahaha

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I remember when the rapala dt series came out and they were very popular. Don't hear much about them anymore although I'm sure a few bass guys are throwing them still. I tried them but most times revert back to the original floater, husky jerk and shad rap. With a few other x raps and countdowns thrown in.

Bobber Down

They are both reactive baits designed to stimulate the aggressive response in walleye. The Scatter Rap is an excellent walleye bait. When trolled at a slow speed aound 1.5mph it just doesn't want to dart off to the sides as it was designed to do. Bump the speed up to around 2mph, off she goes. The Flicker Shad has good erratic action at 1.5mph. If two people in the same boat use these different baits side by side trolling, in my opinion one suffers, as I found out. If both are using the same bait all things being equal there should be no issues. They will smack it.

pastor norm

sometimes walleye want it fast... definitely :smiley-violent084:

Davis Viehbeck

In my opinion it's hard to compare the Flicker Shad against the Scatter Rap Minnow. These baits have different profiles altogether. I would say you would have to compare the Flicker Shad to the Shad Rap or the brand new Storm Smash Shad for a real comparison. I've found certain bait profiles and colours will perform well on certain days and then be dead on others. One of my all time favourite trolling baits for walleye in deeper water is the Deep Taildancer (TDD09 and TDD11). I've run two of these baits side by side only to have one of them out produce the other 5:1. It came down to colour since the baits were being trolled on the same rods with the same line and lead material (4lb dia. 10lb test Sufix Fuse with a 10lb Sufix Fluoro Lead).

canadianyanke

I was out Bass fishing and we were catching fish every cast with every hook in our tackle boxes. we tried swimbaits senkos, plastic worms, fat raps, husky jerks, river2sea frogs/crayfish, Kane.. basically everything..... me and my fishing partner tried scatter raps and we didnt even get a hit in 10 casts. I know "its only 10 casts" but we caught over 100 bass and got them every cast before and after. Its a small sample size but how good the fishing was you could definitely tell something was up.

pastor norm

First walleye on the scatter rap today... perch coloured. What really got the fish snappin' was Rap's new BX. Even though the water was spattered with spent mayflies. But because we didn't try other crankbaits, it wasn't a fair test.

gsambray

I bought 2 scatter raps and planning on testing them out on prelate this upcoming weekend.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

i have 2 scatters, 1st bass broke one barb off treble hook, then one tiny pike took most the paint off. WTF

Not all that happy, action is nice but they dont cast far like a HJ or x-rap.

I highly doubt you will find a box full of these in my boat anytime soon. i will stick with just the 2

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President