• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
johnr

bear spray

johnr

Where do you buy bear spray? Are there different models/kinds or strengths? Is it legal? Lots of rumors about people spraying loose unattended dogs .....what's the facts? So many bears these days that an encounter is inevitable so probably should have it on hand.....

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

I use 12ga Winchester rifled bear spray.

• Like 1

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Kaptain Kirk

D&R Sporting Goods Carries it, along with a Good selection of Long Barrels

James01

I use 12ga Winchester rifled bear spray.

+1... I like the slug variety, mixed in with a bit of buck-shot.

An encounter with a predatorial (male) black bear is extremely rare but case studies have shown that bear spray proves much more effective than firearms.... there is a post regarding this in the Ask MNR forum. I recommend the bear safety training course (provided by MNR) to anyone who spends anywhere from a small or large amount of time in the bush. Canadian tire also carries bear spray along with Gear Up.

I don't understand how bear spray can be more effective than a dead bear... my experience with the MNR is that they want to deter people from carrying a firearm - an yes, outside of hunting season we can carry a firearm in the woods. In fact, all you need is your possession and/or acquisition license. Outside of hunting season guns are not even the jurisdiction of the MNR. My thoughts are: when the police or MNR are called to deal with a problem bear I don't see them using bear spray to deal with it.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Resource Pimp

Bear spray is 1 to 2% capsaisin (pepper compound). Bear spray in Canada is restricted to 1% capsaisin.

Personal protection pepper spay sold to the public in the US is 10% capsaisin but is illeagle to possess in Canada.

Advising us to use a weak 1% bear spay makes as much sense as using a 22 caliber on a bear. I'll go with the shot gun or rifle

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Some Old Guy

Explain why you are carrying a shot gun or rifle with you. Easily interpreted as hunting during a closed season. Reminds me of the South Park cartoon..... Just gotta yell "IT'S COMING RIGHT AT ME" then it's ok to shoot it!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

eddylives

I see it as being a control issue. The authorities do not want to be dealing with armed people in the bush so they will attempt to discourage people from carrying. Even if they have to drum up false hunting against regulations charges to scare the majority. Most people do not want to deal with defending their position in court.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Some Old Guy

That is what I meant. Just a big hassle. The easiest way is I just run faster than the person I'm with!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Resource Pimp

If you are legit and truly carrying for protection, a seasoned CO should make the right call after questioning you.

If you get an over zealous CO, try to get former MNR employee Rick Golath to go to court with you as an expert witness ! lol

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

That was a great South Park episode. Haha. I carry bear spray, but if I had my possessions I would definitely carry a gun. I've encountered way to many bears. Often after being flown 200 km away from anywhere in a helicopter. When all I have is bear spray, being that far away from help, I am not feeling very confident. But still, for me a guy who doesn't have his possession license bear spray is my only real option.

Bobber Down

I carry when I go for walks along any trail or conservation area (even in town), speck fishing out of town, camping (its always close by if not on my side in a holster) and any other area I feel I may encounter an unfriendly creature (2 or 4 legs doesnt matter to me). There are vicious dogs, wolves, bears and others and you never know where and when their ugly heads may appear. It's better than nothing and not as heavy to carry as a rifle or shotgun. The spray spreads out nice and will deter anything in its cone of coverage. If you decide to buy one test it. Press the trigger for a sec so you see exactly where the spray goes. Watch the wind lol.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

I cant carry pepper spray, it would trigger my asthma if it drifted my way, id be hurting.

Wopfisher

I use bear bangers it's just gun powder I bought it at dnr

Resource Pimp

I cant carry pepper spray, it would trigger my asthma if it drifted my way, id be hurting.

I hear ya. Most close quarter bear encounters probably result from walking upwind and surprising them. Not a good idea to aim your bear spay up wind at the bear to defend yourself. Same reason you don't pi$$ into the wind. lol

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

gsambray

I have both. I do a lot of tenting while out fishing. The spray is on me all the time but i have personally used spray on a bear and then a few hours later the same bear came back with an orange tinge but after a shot in the air with the shotgun it stayed away. I hunt bear but when not in season i do what i can to avoid the lethal approach. I also have had to destroy a bear and did rwport it. Yes mnr came out to the camp and seen the deatruction the bear left and they said that destroying that bear was the only choice.

Bear

The good old 870 Wingmaster (alley sweeper) loaded with 00 buck....oh wait I am no longer a police officer.

Make sure you are upwind when you spray if at all possible. I have been sprayed several times in my career with both the fog and the foam, on purpose and accidentally. Foam is the worst. Law enforcement uses the high test, nasty stuff.

Bear

James01

That is what I meant. Just a big hassle. The easiest way is I just run faster than the person I'm with!

Roger

A few years back I was bringing a buddy of mine hiking/exploring in Grizzly country. The night before the hike he asked "What do we do if we encounter a bear?"

I replied: "Stay calm, and don't run. I will have a can of sardines with me to distract it."

He asked: "So, you throw it on the ground and we get away?"

I replied: "No... I will throw them on you, and I will get away."

He nervously chuckled, and called me an @$$.

When we were at the trail head the next morning, I made sure he saw me take a can of sardines out of my glove box and put them in my pocket. The look on his face was classic. (After the joke had run its course, I did put the sardines back in my jeep - I did not want to be wandering around Grizzly country with those smelly things on me.)

Sardines - Just in case you can't out run the person you are in the woods with.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

not an 870 fan, i hate that the follower stays down. mossy 500

Bear

0Woman Stops Grizzly Attack With 25 Caliber Pistol !

This is a story of self-control and marksmanship with an "itsy bitsy shooter" by a woman facing a fierce predator. What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself?

The 25 cal. Beretta Jetfire:

Here's her story:

While out hiking in Alberta Canada with my husband we were surprised by a huge grizzly bear charging at us from out of nowhere. She must have been protecting her cubs because she was extremely aggressive.

If I had not had my little Beretta Jetfire with me I would not be here today!

Just one shot to my husband's knee cap was all it took.

The bear got him and I was able to escape by just walking away at a brisk pace.

It's one of the best pistols in my collection.

Kamhillbilly

just bought a boito hiker 410 just for this reason i have used bear spray twice once effective once not so effective lead seems to be more efective

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I believe that if you are carrying a gun out of hunting season it must be of a certain calibre. If a shot gun, does it not need to be at least a 12 gauge with rifles slugs? Capable of humanely dispatching the animal quickly with one shot? I seen this in the "ask the mnr" section.