• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
johnr

bear spray

Monks

I will touch on this one, and will avoid embarrassing certain people promoting bear spray whom rely on false data and not reality.

I am personally the individual whom started the momentum that Foresters be able to be carry firearms in NWO. I was 23 working north of Longlac and encountered a Black Bear. I will spare the details as with any forum some rear end will question what happened, but I was hunted for nearly an hour, ask my rear end, the marks are there. Not too many people have claw marks to prove it.

Anyway, yes since this then the MNR cancelled the spring bear hunt and the following years to come then while flat on their rear end with bear problems introduced the publicly visible “Bear Wise Program”.

So I digress. Prior to the spring bear hunt, no “Bear Wise Program”? And guess what, minor issues. However the spring bear hunt had no impact on the bear population, but it was cancelled to protect orphaned cubs? Yes nice move. I digress again.

So now back to a bear problem and the “Bear Wise Program”. Yup a bunch of reactive BS by a few biologists and uniformed MNR folks with heads up rear end. Oh and then there was the activist vote…?

Oh sorry for the relevant rant, but back to Bear Spray and our MNR

.. I have a documented case of encountering a large male black bear on file with a forestry company and spraying it with at the time much more powerful bearspray than is available today. The result, it pissed him off and I swam for my life. Yes it works for a short term period, maybe save a camper. If you are up wind and have a full blast in the bears face. However unlike a shotgun which may misfire? (dumbest comment of the year). At least it will shoot into the wind?... Wow, lets compare a charged can of pepper spray made in mexico, or 7 rounds of 12 gauge slugs in to the wind? Yup 12 gauge!!!!

Now I understand for the average person bearspray might suffice…However I am in the woods about 120 days a year with no cell service or anyone nearby. Personally I bring my defender shotgun, completely legal for work and every camping trip with my kids. Odds are I will never need it, but if I do, will be glad I did.

My advice take with you what makes you comfortable and ensures your safety. However bear spray is a minor deterrent, that may save you.

Regardless, go into the woods prepared, bottom line.

• Like 1

johnr

Thanks all....I too spend over a 100 days a year in the woods in my argo fishing/hunting and on top of that live in Shuniah. Over the last ten years either the bear population has exploded or they all moved to Northwestern Ontario. Either way....I see an average of 1 per trip [not one every trip but sometimes two or three a trip]. I have noticed that the bears in the woods typically run as soon as they see me but the bears around my house disregard me [not aggressive but not scared] much like the deer. I will pick up some bear spray just for my paranoid moments and put it beside the air horn I'll never find when I need it....

James01

I believe that if you are carrying a gun out of hunting season it must be of a certain calibre. If a shot gun, does it not need to be at least a 12 gauge with rifles slugs? Capable of humanely dispatching the animal quickly with one shot? I seen this in the "ask the mnr" section.

I looked into this a few years back FF, and you are right... sort of. I talked to the OPP (I was told by an officer that he doesn't go camping without his 12 gauge), I chatted with the MNR, and I believe I even raised the issue in the "Ask the MNR" section of TBF.

The MNR tried to dissuade me, and told me that if they happen upon someone in the woods and out-of-season with a firearm the onus is on that person to prove s/he is not hunting. Well, carrying a firearm does not mean one is poaching; and there being no hunting season should be proof that one is not hunting. But putting that logic aside, they also mentioned that the calibre would come into consideration. They did not mention a calibre per se, nor slugs vs. buckshot, nor .300 magnum vs. .308 vs. .450 Marlin. All the MNR said was that it needs to be a calibre capable of putting down a bear. They will not buy that you are carrying a .22 for bear protection (that being said, you could be carrying it for some harmless plinking). Slugs vs 00 buckshot would be a choice, and a CO has no basis for questioning it. Personally I like a few 00 buckshot, followed by slugs. The advice the MNR probably should have told me, and I offer it now, is to carry what you can shoot, because you are going to have to shoot and shoot well if a bear is coming at you (but don't forget about the sardines - see my earlier post).

Here is something else to consider... if you have the gun with you for defensive reasons, and there is no hunting season going on, I don't think your shotgun needs to be plugged. The plugged shotgun is a Ontario hunting regulation, not a firearm regulation.

I just noticed you wrote "at least a 12 gauge with rifles slugs"... good-god-man, what are you carrying in the woods if you view the requirement to be AT LEAST a 12 gauge with slugs?

Perhaps...

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcEvBwMKZ9s

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=0rKHXTsDcco&feature=fvwp

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Haha. I don't carry anything. I don't have a real big knowledge of guns, my only reason for saying the rifles slugs was due to the mnr specifically saying that a suitable calibre would be "at least". You guys know more about guns than me, so ill trust you guys. I am also just trying to figure out what is allowed and isn't because I would like to get my possession soon so I can also carry a shotgun or rifle while in the woods for safety.

Guest Wes

Bear Spray!

Bears like their food seasoned as well....

I carry two guns at all times. A right and a left. When I start throwing them around, I leave one hell of a mess. Aint no bear going to stick around for that.

There you go, your Friday morning HA HA!

James01

Haha. I don't carry anything. I don't have a real big knowledge of guns, my only reason for saying the rifles slugs was due to the mnr specifically saying that a suitable calibre would be "at least". You guys know more about guns than me, so ill trust you guys. I am also just trying to figure out what is allowed and isn't because I would like to get my possession soon so I can also carry a shotgun or rifle while in the woods for safety.

Well, the general consensus around these parts seems to be the trusted ol' 12 gauge pump.

And practice, practice, practice, with it. It will not do you much good if you can't shoot it worth a darn.

Here is hoping you are never in a position where you need to use it.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Haha. I like your style Wes. If you want some sound bear advice check out this guys tips. He definitely knows what he's talking about. Whole video is hilarious but he has a minute worth of the best bear tips I've heard to date. The tips start at 2:30 in the video if ya wanna cut straight to them.

/>http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Db6moaCuk8

Resource Pimp

you cannot compare bear spray and a .22 regarding efficiency when encountering a bear... now thats a dumb comment

I can, and I did. My point is a 22 and 1% bear spray would have similar effects on a bear. Both are probably more likly to pi$$ him off more and provoke him further. Never take a knife to a gun fight........bear spay and a 22 are knives. Then again, there have been cases of moose poached with a 22. You use your bear spay and I'll stick to my shotgun.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

eddylives

We all know a properly place shot with a 22 can and will drop a bear in its tracks (I would not recommend anyone without experience attempt it though)....it is a common practice in small town NWO for those in the know. A big boom raises attention when a little pop goes un noticed by most. The main thing is shoot and shut up with the experienced ones......I have been there myself when it happens lol...discretion on disposal of a carcase is also required.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Bear spray and a 22 do not equal. Bear spray makes it hard for the bear to see and breath. A 22 may just piss it off, but now you've got an angry bear who can still see fine, and breath fine. Bear spray gives you an angry bear, that hopefully has enough trouble breathing and seeing that it is deterred from further attacking, or provide you and opportunity to run as they can't always necessarily see you after being sprayed. That bear may be as angry as it wants, but if it can't see or breath I have a better chance of getting away than I do if it just got shot by a 22.

A trained shot from a shotgun or high powered rifle is always your safest bet. But to tell people bear spray is a waste of time when it's their only option is foolish. Bear spray is ALWAYS better than nothing, period.

Resource Pimp

Resource...lol for the second time I agree with the shotgun being the obvious choice.... but in the choice between a .22 and bear spray u take the .22 and ill take the spray.... smart choice on ur part

If only given the choice between 22 and bear spray, I would choose a 15 shot semi auto 22 with CCI Stingers over bear spay. Just telling you what I would use. Would be interesting see poll results on those 2 options. 14 for the bear and the 15th for myself in case of epic fail.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Travis Schallock

I've spent countless days in the bush both here in NWO and back in BC. The way the Ontario MNR tries to tell us not to carry a firearm is ridiculous, it is the opposite in BC, a CO will give you hell if they were to catch you out fishing or hiking without a firearm. You are not even allowed to go on school field trips outdoors unless you have someone with you carrying.

I've encountered bears many, many times while out hunting, scouting, or hiking. I've been stalked, charged, and bluff charged, even by a wolf once. Most times you can just yell and they will take off never to be seen again. But every once in a while the bear will keep coming back, getting closer, or just come straight for you. These are problem bears, could be sick, could be hungry, but doesn't really matter. When a bear displays this activity it is NOT a situation for bear spray, those bears should be destroyed or you could be putting others in danger. So when you think about it when could/should bear spray really be used? Even if you use your bear spray and get out safely, what do you think the MNR/OPP is going to do? Search the area and destroy the problem animal so that others are not harmed or put in the same situation.

Now that I have a young family I will never be out with my rifle, just in case. Everyone should still be doing their best to avoid these situations, but when push comes to shove my choice is an easy one.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

Gone8to1248

Shot gun is the way to go at close range because it is slow and has a lot of power for stopping a charging bear. This more so than a .300 mag or 7mm Rem Mag or even a .308 at that close of range. I've seen animals hit at close range with these big fast calibers and pass right through with no effect. When I used a shotgun when tracking bear my shots were slug-#71/2 shot-slug. When coming at me with a face shot the bird shot blinds them and then finish it off with a slug if the first one didn't do the job. As far as using a .22 on a charging bear.....just let us all know where to send the flowers! Yes a .22 will stop a bear with a well placed shot, but when something is coming to eat us we normally don't have time to line up the perfect kill shot

Guns can kill bears. We all get it. For someone that can't own a gun, bear spray IS THE BEST that we can get. Obviously a gun will kill it. I think carrying a 22 for protection is dumb. Very high likely hood it will be wounded. In the heat of the moment rarely do you get a chance to aim at the sweet spot which you need to in order to kill the bear with a 22. People need to stop discouraging the use of bear spray. It works. Maybe not as good as a gun but it has its place.

If you need 15 shots from a 22 than that's a sign you need a bigger gun. If your first few shots don't drop it that bear will be on you so fast and so mad you won't have a chance.

Resource Pimp

As stated earlier my personal choice is shot gun or high powered rifle. If the choice were only either bear spay or 22 cal, I would choose the 22.

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Hey, that's cool. I just think you'd have a better chance of angering the bear. Resulting in injury or death.

Resource Pimp

And the pepper spray won't anger him ? lol

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

It will. But he probably won't be able to see or breath very well. Confusing him enough for you to get away. Both will be pissed. Id rather have a blind angry bear with trouble breathing than just an angry bear. So for me. If it came down to a 22 or bear spray, and your only goal is getting away, I'd take bear spray hands down.

Kamhillbilly

Until you have been on the end using bear spray when it dosent work you'll wish you had another plan , I've been there !!! But I agree bear spay is better than no bear spray or no gun.