• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest dcdistro

Sturgeon fishing?

Guest dcdistro

I am not sure if it is illegal to fish , catch and release sturgeon but as far back as I can remember back to when I was a boy, which is a long time ago now... I always dreamt of catching a giant monster sturgeon and taking its picture before letting it go. I would love to go out and fish one up just for the memory for years to come. I fished pike, musky and pickeral primarily through my life for the fight and the challenge. I catch and release only but would love to lock into one of these lunkers!!! Is there someplace within city limits or close by that a person could goto possibly catch and release fish one of these monsters?

Guest dcdistro

any more specific areas or type of bait or such you could guide me with :) and thank you for such an expedient reply

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

There is a chance you may get one by accident using normal walleye pike or bass methods but if you are fishing a rig that looks like it would cater more to a sturgeon than any other fish species present than you may have some explaining to do. If you get one take a pic but do it fast as it is an out of season fish. I highly suggest you don't target them. Take care tight lines.

AB

It is no longer legal to target lake sturgeon in our area....That change to the regulations has been in effect for several years now. So save yer nickels and head out to BC and take a trip with someone like Vic Carro with STS Guiding out of Mission. White Sturgeon grow bigger and you can catch them almost all year long in the Fraser River. Anybody can beat up a fish that's smaller then they are! iceman

eddylives

Nested boat launch

Pickerel rig with dew worms right off the dock

And you may......wink wink latch onto a stergeon

A buddy of mine got the nick name sturgeon killer (of corse it was catch and release and just what we called him lmfao) while targeting pickerel pike and perch there while feeding bass and Ruffe

Here is the hint....nudge nudge.....as massive a bell sinker as you can buy lol....length of cast matters hahaha

We used to accuse him of using truck nuts lmao(as in transport wheel nuts)

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Some Old Guy

Yes it's true. You cannot target sturgeon.

If you catch one accidentally even taking a picture of it can be deemed as not immediately releasing it. This reg was brought about considering cultural needs and poaching. The specie is under strain so it is closed in our area.

I do have to add though....... Poaching was a factor to the sturgeon season being closed........ is that going to stop poachers? They didn't care before, right?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

eddylives

I meant neastea boat launch lol

Bloody smart phones and spell check....

Or another option is to hit the dam on the black sturgeon river during low water and just wade into the fast water below the dam and catch one by hand.....it was so cool to watch a fella just walk up to and grab onto as many as he could lol

eddylives

Yes roger I agree closed is closed....

But when they get your bait before targeted species do......it's a grey area

I would fish with friends to snap a picture in a timely fashion after a long fight that happens with larger fish on light gear.

As long as the fish are not destroyed due to the stress of being caught there is not an issue.

By the way catching an out of season sturgeon in the Kam requires a bit of luck......our buddy had horseshoes up his.....

Some Old Guy

i think it's not a gray area at all. Stopping to take a picture is not releasing it right away, right? I'm just saying that lettering of the law is the game lawyers play with.

Roger

Some Old Guy

But if you leave the hook in then take a picture.............. ummm .........

Roger

eddylives

I would say if your gear was 3/16 aviation cable and a 1/2 raw chicken on a monster size hook like they did back in the day at the grain elevators...ya your targeting sturgeon lol

But me with a regular rod n reel with 10 lb test line is not targeting the sturgeon.....just an unfortunate incident hehe....

Would be an interesting court date for all involved if the CO's decided to pursue it.

I am just giving advice to those that decide to push the issue hahaha and do not condone any illegal activities......the Internet is full of information if you look in enough areas of interest.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I agree with roger. It is not a grey area catch and release is not encouraged, the law is you have to leave them alone. Providing tips and locations shows there is intent. I think it would be wise if we do not share or promote or "wink wink" about places as it is illegal. Just my two cents.

kbrest

kam river

Kam river illegal to target and fish sturgeon.

kbrest

No, not a grey area, if it hits accidentally you COULD break your line knowing its a fish you cannot catch. Or once you land it, pop the hook and throw back safely. We really shouldn't encourage the "wink wink" factor as I don't think that's what this site is about.

You can catch MONSTER Sturgeon in Rainy River and Rainy Lake though. Bit more of a drive, might have to make a weekend out of it, but theres good camping and along with big sturgeon theres big walleye, big bass, big musky etc. Just an option.

eddylives

Ok here is the deal

I am not going to stop fishing in an area because there is one fish out of season that may be caught by accident

I do not target them out of season but if they are caught they are released what's the issue?

If the species is in that much danger then fishing all together needs to be halted in the affected zones

I have personally informed people and saved many sturgeon when the new regulation took effect when they were planning on keeping them

Guest dcdistro

I was un aware that it was an illegal situation to fish for them I guess i will stick with pickeral and pike and if I do accidently lock into one it would be released anyhow. Thanks for the heads up

kbrest

No no eddy, I didn't mean that to be rude or anything. I am still going to fish there all the time too. I don't think we were saying not to fish the area, just that we shouldn't make light of the "wink wink" factor that it might happen. So if dcdistro is looking at targeting Sturgeon for sport fishing (fight, photo, release) then the Kam should really not be an option unless he's looking for great walleye fishing.

eddylives

Yes I understand kbrest lol

This seems to be another touchy topic like the dreaded "steelhead" debate that rolls in every spring

I do not see people targeting sturgeon any more but a few do get caught still despite the closure

I guess the lesson for me here is to not post on a subject while deep into a jug of vodka at the camper lmfao

kbrest

Hahahaha, or while 2/3's of the way through a case of beer at camp.

fisherdude

Isn't It even illegal to take a pic with a fish that's out of season or protected? I thought it had to be immediately released?

Some Old Guy

Yes, from what I understand.

Roger

Guest dcdistro

i am also looking for large wallye / pickeral or pike fishing as well as mentioned in another thread in members forums :) but no I will not be deliberately targeting sturgeon now that I know the legalities of it all. Not saying that I would shed a tear if i caught one, releasing it immediately of course :) But as I do not drive and my proximitedy to the mouth of the current river is very close 7-8 bocks or so ( walking distance) it is very unlikely I will be doing much fishing on the kam or near it unless I am lucky enough to find a fishing buddy off here somewhere down the line

Guest tbay_slayer

for what its worth, i was talking to a guy who was fishing from shore at the Nestle boat launch. fishing pickeral with a jig and a worm and said he hooked into 2 sturgeon that day! a 5 pounder that he had a pic of (then released) and also he said a much bigger one that got off right at shore.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

i wouldn't take a picture standing in bow of boat, hook out etc. but a few action shots of landing fish. and maybe a shot along gunnel when you hoist it up to remove hook couldn't be breaking a law, I've hoisted one up to remove hook and had a few pictures taken during that.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President