• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest dcdistro

Sturgeon fishing?

fisherdude

Pretty sure that's still illegal, it can be looked at that your not releasing it as fast as possible.i may be wrong but I thought this was talked about years ago and you can't even take it out of the water can you? So basically what I understood was that your supposed to do as much to get in released ASAP so even your friend taking pictures means your not doing everything to release it right away. I may be wrong, but I think that's how the MNR look at it.

eddylives

Well if your fishing and a buddys snapping pictures there is no difference to fishing alone and not taking pictures and just releasing the fish......what if a stranger takes pictures of the action and offers to e-mail them to you......If you are outright posing ya there is a problem........This is such a grey area as far as the regulations go it can be argued to death without coming to any agreement lmao.........If I choose to photo a fish....in season/closed season/out of season in a proper manner like any other catch and release fish big deal.......The CO`s can lay any charges they want......the issue for them is they have to make it stick in court and I am sure they do not get any brownie points from their bosses if they charge without a reasonable chance of winning.......It all boils down to action reaction by all involved.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

McGinnis_Fishing

They way i see it is if you take a picture with a fish that is closed and release it with no issues then its not a problem. However if you take a picture an then it starts flopping around and its been out of the water for a while, then when you finally go to release it it doesnt swim away. Then theres a problem. If you safely release a picture then in court they will ask did the fish swim away safely? And if so they will ask what the problem is then. If i ever hook a stergeon (which probably wont happen, i dont fish the kam often) but you can gurantee i will be taking a picture with it. It will also be safely release shortly after!

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Everyone is free to do what they want. I think I would take a few action shots. I would not pose but maybe a pic of the fish along side the boat and me removing the hook. Shortly after is not immediately which can be viewed as an illegal act. If you lift the fish out of the water to take a picture you are breaking the law. It is pretty cut and dry.

McGinnis_Fishing

The law also doesnt say you cant take the fish out of the water to remove the hook though. In my opinion if you remove the hook, have a buddy snap a quick pic, then release it immediatly then its not a big deal.

fisherdude

I was just saying I thought I remember the MNR or someone reputable saying that you couldn't take it out of the water, I also agree that it probably doesn't make to much of a difference if handled properly but still...

I'd love a picture as much as anyone. All I'm saying is if you don't take a picture during the release than it may step into the realm of illegal. Immediate release is just that, immediate. Take all the pictures you want during the release but don't lift the fish out and take a classic fish photo. Basically the second the hook is removed it should be in the water, and realistically, you probably want to remove the hook while the fish is boat side, rather than in the boat. A sturgeon catch is awesome but we need to do our best to enjoy it while staying within the laws and not pushing the limits on what is legal, I think a nice boat side photo will do you well.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

okay lets pose this Q a different way. with a different fish. you hook a 12lb Walter while steelheading, you have to unhook? so do you snap a picture?

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

I would treat it the same. Maybe a boat side shot of it still in water. I would not pose with it.

I was fishing for steelhead east of nipigon in the terrace bay area in the fall. Me and a friend started to accidentally catch 24 inch specks almost every cast. We decided quite quickly that we needed to change Rivers. Some may sit there all day and catch out of season fish and claim that they were all accidents but if your catching 10+ specks over 20 inches for every one steelhead than it may not look good to a co. I always play it safe I guess.

fisherdude

I thought you were supposed to switch bait/lures if you catch a few out of season fish and if it keeps happening your supposed to relocate?

McGinnis_Fishing

I can honestly say i would still take a fast picture if it was readily available. However i would move if i kept catching them