• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bobber Down

Party fishing

Bobber Down

Three fishers in a boat. Fisher A & B have caught and placed 4 walleye each in the livewell. Fisher C is having problems catching today and has only boated 1 walleye. So Fisher A & B continue fishing and catch another 3 walleye to limit out all 3 limits and leave the lake. Does this fall under "party fishing" and Fisher A & B broke the regs because they have already caught and kept their allowable limit and continued to put walleye in the livewell for Fisher C?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

eddylives

The way I read the regs is there is no party fishing allowed.

You cannot catch to add to anothers limit legally......like that never happens lol.

With the price of a fishing trip now days many will overlook this regulation like it or not.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

McGinnis_Fishing

Technically your supossed to put your rod down when you have your limit. How ever no one actualy does that. Also if you have 11 fish in the boat and all 3 guys are still fishing you can het nailed.

eddylives

the other 2 guys are fishing for there limit of pike. all 3 fishermen are legal.

I like the way you think lol good answer

Now I thought I was allowed to fish catch and release......if I limit out in an hour after traveling for hours to get there I am going to enjoy the rest of the day catching fish.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

shmanks

eddie thats what I thought aswell I remember this comming up during the spring with rainbows and Im sure it was in ask the mnr section and they said that you are allowed to practice catch and release once you had your limit

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Pretty much impossible to enforce "party fishing" if you have a livewell.

example:::put 4 guys in a boat 12 fish in livewell. throw back 3 small fish. whos did you throw back ??? at least one guy still has a limit but who?

till culling tags become law for the most part this is almost impossible to enforce,

Except in an example where some yutz throws 26 kids on his pontoon boat and comes back with 100 walleye, that where you would see this law enforced.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Lyle Reiner

Lets try this scenario in a tournament you're only allowed to fish over 18 inches same as any other regulation. Say Ryan and I are fishing in a tournament I catch both fish over 18 inches does that mean we have to throw one of them back?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Happens all the time, true story

Buck 120

This thread addresses party fishing:

/>http://fishingboard.thunderbayfishing.com/index.php?showtopic=14258

Technically if you catch a limit of walleye, you cannot fish for that species. If you only put three on the stringer, you can target all day long.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

uncle

Pretty much impossible to enforce "party fishing" if you have a livewell.

example:::put 4 guys in a boat 12 fish in livewell. throw back 3 small fish. whos did you throw back ??? at least one guy still has a limit but who?

till culling tags become law for the most part this is almost impossible to enforce.

On some lakes live wells are not allowed. Only dead fish on board.

McGinnis_Fishing

Happens all the time, true story

Happens all the time as in throw the secind big one back? Or keep them both?

• Like 1

Sarcasm..... We have yet to weigh in an over 18

pastor norm

FMZ and possession limits in the "Ask the MNR board" ..... "The “Provincial Possession Limits” for the various species of fish found in Ontario are sometimes different and more generous than the individual zone limits.

For walleye and sauger or any combination of the two species, the provincial possession limit is six. In your example, if you caught two fish in Zone 9 (zone limit = 2, no size restrictions) and put them in the freezer and then went out fishing in Zone 6, you would be allowed to catch and retain 4 walleye or sauger (zone limit = 4, only one over 46cm).

You are allowed to have fish from multiple fisheries management zones. You cannot exceed the individual zone limit for a species of fish.

The following are the provincial possession limits.

1. Walleye or Sauger or any combination 6

2. Largemouth bass or Smallmouth bass or any combination 6

3. Northern pike 6

4. Muskellunge 1

5. Brook trout 5

6. Brown trout 5

7. Rainbow trout 5

8. Lake trout 3

9. Splake 5

10. Pacific salmon 5

11. Atlantic salmon 1

12. Lake whitefish 25

13. Lake sturgeon 1

14. Channel catfish 12

15. Aurora trout 1

Guest thawk

Just watched Dryden walleye tournament on shaw. 2 fishermen per boat 5 fish walleye limit. 5 fish weighed in 2 fish over 18 in. Fishermen were asked by the announcer about their day one spoke up and said partner had a bad day didn't catch any fish,are they legal if only one fisherman caught the fish.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I am very curious. If this is the case why are tournament anglers allowed to catch more then "their" limit.

McGinnis_Fishing

Technically it is more then their limit. How ever you would have to be a real d*ck to do anything about it. I mean the fish are being released and it was a tourny. If it was a catch and kill tourny that would be a different story. In this case no harm was done. Was it legal? Maybe not. Would anyone ever do anything? They could, but i would hope not!

My 2 cents

It's very simple. Is it legal, or is it illegal. It seems that this is common practise for tournament anglers. I am curious what reg allows them to do so. I assume that this is not the first time a tournament angler admitted he caught most/all the fish being weighed in. But what makes it different in a tournament? Anyone have some facts rather than opinions regarding this? I am in no way generalizing tournament anglers, I guess I'd just like to know what's going on and if this reg does exist I would also just like to know about it. Take care all. Tight lines.

McGinnis_Fishing

Im not saying that at all. I fish under all regulations. All im saying is the fish will be released which is better then eaten. And a co would have to be an a-hole to fine anyone for that. And that co would never hear the end of it. Not many people would be happy to hear an angler getting nailed for that.

I do see what your saying. What I'm saying is that how can tournaments function when it is common knowledge that laws are being broken, maybe a review of the regs and the addition of an exception in regards to tournaments and party fishing is in order. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that laws can be broken that commonly and it's just overlooked...I don't get it. An event with so much exposure you would surely assume all laws and regulations were followed to a t.

McGinnis_Fishing

Thats true. It pretty well is an exception so why not make it legitiment. But also how many times will 2 tourny anglers go out and one doesn't contribute 1 fish? Seems like it would be uncommon. But then again who knows

I think the one angler catching two over 18 is more likely though. One angler may get 3 and the other may get 2. If one angler is responsible for the two fish over 18...than its the same thing.

Some Old Guy

If I already caught one over 18 inches and I have another big one on I just pass the rod to my partner.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Lyle Reiner

Brodie. your telling me that you've never had a day where your friend youve been fishing with hasn't caught anything, you caught your 4, and put more on the stringer/in the box, to help him/her bring fish home?

In every debate we've had here you seem to be Mr perfect who's never broken the law, no in no way am I attacking you or trying to be a dick. But you hit a cord with me calling down tournament anglers by saying we are above the law. Before you go saying that, I invite you to come to a tournament next/this year. You will find that most serious tournament anglers are some of the most stonch conservationists who care more then most about the fish population.

I think the party fishing law is in place to give the c/os another thing to.charge you with if your being a douche. Kind of like the law that if your vehicle ownership isn't signed in ink, its a $110 fine.

I'm gunna continue to fish how I fish, haven't had a problem yet.

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada