• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bobber Down

Party fishing

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

the law doesnt really define who caught it, is it who sets the hook? who reels?, who paid for the bait? or who lands the fish? . if my partner touches my leader with his hand as he nets it i guess he caught it?

:horse2::smiley-taunt001:

Roger, if my partner passed me a rod and said "here its a big one again i will let you land it" I can tell you right now that rod would get tossed in the lake :P :P "opps it slipped , i cant catch bigh fish cuz im clumsy"

• Like 1

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Lyle, I can tell you right now that I did not call anyone down. I specifically stated that I am not generalizing. I in no way think of tournament anglers that way. I am simpy curious. My comment about being above the law was more in reference to young guns one comment rather than tournament anglers. I am curious and I have every right to ask these questions. I know it is common practise. I didn't even say anything would be wrong with one angler catching two fish over 18. I just said that the regs should include such a situation. I think fishing regs should be the same across the board. I don't think anything is wrong with party fishing but as long as it is illegal I won't do it. I do try my best so stay within the law because I myself would be absolutely embarrassed with myself if I was caught doing something illegal. I follow the rules to ensure I can continue to fish and I also follow rules and obey all laws to a t because my son is going to be learning all this from me. I don't want him to think that wiggle room exists within the law. The minute people think boundaries can be pushed they tend to push them. By all means catch two over 18s, but wouldn't you prefer to have an exception somewhere in the regs so that is is black and white, rather than this grey area were in now. I think tournaments are great, I love reading the results and the stories you all post. The concept of tournament fishing to me is amazing and if I have a bigger boat I would definitely consider it. I will say once again that I do not think less of tournament anglers, i dont think they are law breaking outlaws, and i have a ton of respect for all of them. It makes no sense to me to have to throw an over 18 back either in a tournament. It's dumb to think that in a tournament setting a winning fish would ever need to be released. But I am not talking about what I prefer, I am talking black and white law. I didn't write them. I'm sorry your so upset.

Guest MNR

You people need to dust off your copy of the 2013 fishing regs and read page 9 "Ontario's Catch and Release Rules". Regs have changde recently to allow "culling". Meaning if you have 4 walleye in the live well and you continue to fish, you could exchange one or all of the fish in the live well for newly caught fish BUT YOU CAN'T EXCEED THE ZONE LIMIT. This was done to appease the tournament anglers. At no time can you have 5 walleye in the live well. You can't exceed your daily catch and possession limit for the fisheries zone that you're in. You cannot "party fish" (fill another person's limit).

Provincial limits for walleye are 6 but you cannot exceed an individual fisheries zone limits. You can't have 6 walleye from zone 6 because the limit for the zone is 4. You could have 4 from zone 6 and 2 from another zone (if you had a sport fishing licence.)

Never know who is in the boat beside you. Everybody carries a cell phone and can take your picture. Game wardens get tips like this all the time.

Some Old Guy

Yup I read that. If anyone thought for one second I'd be passing the rod over..............

Well there we have it!

Thanks MNR

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest MNR

You people need to dust off your copy of the 2013 fishing regs. and read page 9 "Ontario's Catch and Retain Rules". If you have an functioning livewell in your boat, you may exchange walleye in the livewell for newly caught fish BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE MORE THAN YOUR DAILY CATCH AND POSSESSION LIMIT FOR THE ZONE IN THE BOAT. You cannot "party fish" (catch another person's limit).

The provincial limit for walleye is 6 but you can't exeed an individual zone's limit. If you have 6 fish from zone 6 you're in trouble. If you had 4 walleye from zone 6 and 2 from another zone, you're ok.

Know the regs, follow the rules.

You never know who is fishing beside you. Could be one of us dumb game wardens in plain clothes.

Some Old Guy

Ok now I'm getting confused on this again.

#1 Walleye tournament limits to weigh in are usually 6 walleye (sometimes 5) for a two person team. Let us say I don't catch any of the fish we weigh in, my partner does. He caught 6 walleye. We weigh them in and release them. Is this legal? Is it considered party fishing?

#2 For bass, I am allowed 6 bass in my livewell while on the lake, 2 more than my possesion limit? Once I leave the lake I can only have 4 on me, right?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

uhh

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Guest johnjacobs

You people?? really? your a government employee? I see some of the comments you make on here and can't help but laugh. You honestly single people out by name and downright act like your above and beyond everyone cause your a so called fish cop. Seriously any respected government agency would not talk like this to the general public. This is Canada not some communist country. Get over yourself

Guest scavs

I agree jjacobs, seems like mr mnr gets his panties in a bunchquite unprofessionally once again(netting). The media and public critizie you on how many fronts and yet this is the stage in which you choose to be mr tough guy. Your a civil servant, act like one.

gsambray

Ha ha ha "one of us dumb game wardens" ha ha ha ha ha...

Bobber Down

I'm sure the MNR posts were for our "overall" benefit and understanding. The choice of words "you people need to" (you language plus directive) was just a poor choice of words and certainly not the best way to communicate effectively in a positive manner. We are all human. That being said, I like to think that members of Thunder Bay Fishing are here to learn, set the example for others in the fishing community and will rise above those 4 words. We are the present and future caretakers of our resources. So please, no more MNR bashing on this thread. Thanks.

• Like 2

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

eddylives

I have to agree with still-learning

Most of the replys given by the MNR in that forum are a direct quote from the written regulations

Now when a reply comes "off the cuff" and regular language is used......talking the way we talk on this forum , they get ridiculed and that's not cool.

I for one read the regs and have trouble understanding the fancy "lawyer talk" at times and really appreciate an answer that is stated in less official language.

• Like 2

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Guest fancy pants

Ditto........we ask so many questions that get answered by the MNR on here. I love having the resource.

If you want to get the sugar coated Mr. Nice guy civil servant response, head down to James St and ask your next question face to face.

gsambray

Ive never had any problems with game wardens. There there to do a job. Well there is one out there i have ran into out there i dont like. As he always seems to thinl his sh!t dont stink but if your being legal u got nothing to worry about. Has there ever been a conviction for party fishing? It seems like a word against word kinda battle

Guest scavs

Fail to see how I was being a dick but why should a response vary from the internet to face to face. I too enjoy the ability to have questions answered its just why not answer it nicely, I think that's all I or anyone meant. Wouldnt the mnr rather respond to questions here rather than hand out fines. The point of the mnr thread is to answer questions without having to go down to james.

Guest Crooksyredboat

I thought party fishing was filling your cooler full of beer, putting it in the boat and start party fishing!

gsambray

Of course only a house boat