• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

mooboy76

Chainsaw/Dealer Opinions

mooboy76

You are all avid outdoorsmen, right? (I am currently an avid indoorsman for the next three months). There has to be a wealth of chainsaw knowledge on this board, so I'm hoping to tap into it.

It's been 15 years since I bought my first chainsaw, and I left that at home when I went to school. Bought a McCulloch TimberBear at CT and my dad is still (sort of ) running it.

I will be heating with mostly wood for the next several decades, so I need to pick up a decent saw for bucking 5-10 cords a year and doing bush cleanup on about 16 acres.

To start:

Anyone have a favourite dealer in town?

I talked to a guy at Northern Turf and they seemed pretty solid, but I haven't checked out the other few chainsaw dealers in town. I like the idea of having good dealer support in town, especially if I get one of the pricier saws.

Next, I guess is the saw itself. I haven't checked out the Jonsered models yet, but did get a chance to be overwhelmed by the Husky and Stihl model selection.

I sort of have a short list of the Stihl MS 391 & Husqvarna 460, or go down in size and up in quality (with painful price tag to match) to either the Stihl MS 261 or the Husqvarna 550xp.

Is it usually worth it to go with the 50cc light-pro saws instead of the 60-65cc 'landowner' quality level?

CSSA Member

CCFR Member

mooboy76

Stihl ms 361 with the arctic kit has been suggested as a better alternative

CSSA Member

CCFR Member

mooboy76

Hmmm, if I want a 361, then I guess I'll be buying used since the 362 replaced it a couple of years ago with less than stellar reviews. Looks like a Husky 572xp is in the running now.

Anyone have any experience with either (any) of these saws and wants to chime in?

With at least three chainsaw dealers in town, I figured there'd at least be an opinion about one of them ^_^

CSSA Member

CCFR Member

Dean

I use a Stihl MS290 to cut wood for my boiler, 56cc I think, I'm happy with it. Picked it up new almost 2 years ago at Chainsaw Center on Powely St. And it comes with a way better hard case than the Husky did at the time. That was the final straw in my decision.

Some Old Guy

I have owned a husky the same one for almost twenty years. The newer ones are lighter and are great. My neighbour has a newer one and it's easier on the back.

The husky saw you are looking at (Husky 572xp) is a great choice.

If you are cutting 5-10 cords of hardwood a year I would invest in a couple of chains. I sharpen my own so I just have 2 chains so I can switch quickly incase I decide to start cutting ground! Ha Ha

Good files are a must also. Don't go cheap on the files! Raker files must also be bought. This is if you intend to sharpen the chains yourself. With the sharpener guide it's really easy to do!

Roger

• Like 1

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

filletandrelease

For firewood I like a big displacement saw with alot of torque its nice to let the weight of the saw do the work and not have it bog down. I'm not up on the new models as my old husqvarna is still going strong after many years of use and abuse but I think a big displacement pro model saw is a worthwhile investment as it will give you many years of service.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

i got a poulan pro 50 cc for half the price of husky/ stihl. i wouldn't run it if I worked in the bush but for 200 on sale i have no complaints. come with chain oil bar and hard case.

i have to use thicker oil for bar as it pumps a lot w no adjustment , even at idle so i just shut i off when i have to move pile. 20 bar makes cutting quicker as i can double log and chain stays sharper longer, haven't used the file yet this is second year,

easy start and i dont run out of gas during a job , i always have to move pile before i have to gas up. and since imresidential i usually runn it just off wide open so its a bit quieter. 3-5 cords a year,

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

brookiebuster

I also have a Stihl ms290, great saw. I got a 18" bar for mine and it cuts birch like butter(sharp chain of course). Chainsaw Center is a great place to deal with.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Monks

Been very happy with my Jonsered, 10 years and still going strong. Check them out as well.

mooboy76

I use a Stihl MS290 to cut wood for my boiler, 56cc I think, I'm happy with it. Picked it up new almost 2 years ago at Chainsaw Center on Powely St. And it comes with a way better hard case than the Husky did at the time. That was the final straw in my decision.

I also have a Stihl ms290, great saw. I got a 18" bar for mine and it cuts birch like butter(sharp chain of course). Chainsaw Center is a great place to deal with.

I had looked at the ms 290 originally, seems to be a popular and solid saw. Good to know that you guys like the Chainsaw Centre. I took a tour around and they seemed to be helpful and competent. I sent an email query yesterday, so I guess I'll see how their support is that way as well.

CSSA Member

CCFR Member

mooboy76

For firewood I like a big displacement saw with alot of torque its nice to let the weight of the saw do the work and not have it bog down. I'm not up on the new models as my old husqvarna is still going strong after many years of use and abuse but I think a big displacement pro model saw is a worthwhile investment as it will give you many years of service.

I have owned a husky the same one for almost twenty years. The newer ones are lighter and are great. My neighbour has a newer one and it's easier on the back.

The husky saw you are looking at (Husky 572xp) is a great choice.

If you are cutting 5-10 cords of hardwood a year I would invest in a couple of chains. I sharpen my own so I just have 2 chains so I can switch quickly incase I decide to start cutting ground! Ha Ha

Good files are a must also. Don't go cheap on the files! Raker files must also be bought. This is if you intend to sharpen the chains yourself. With the sharpener guide it's really easy to do!

Roger

I mistyped a bit and mashed up two model numbers I think (576xp and 562xp). While the power of the 576xp would be great, I'm not sure about the 15lb + bar/chain for limbing and cutting up firewood. While I hesitate to say 73cc/5.6hp would be too much power for my needs (who doesn't like more power?!), I've got a BUNCH of small stuff jammed all over my property from when it was cleared. Might be best if I defer the larger saw for now. The price tag creeps up with the extra power too. Decisions decisions.

I'm kind of leaning the other direction from the 562xp/ms362. The new(ish) 550xp seems to have a lot of rip, and a high RPM rev boost for limbing. I'm not planning on working much on my saw to tweak it this way or that, so the Auto-tune feature seems nice. It's only a hair over 10lbs too.

I will be doing my own sharpening Roger, so thank you for the tip not to cheap out on the files. I'm lining someone up to give me a good sharpening tutorial, which is good because I never got the hang of it using my old McCulloch Timber Bear growing up. I've already been warned about running aground, but an extra chain is good advice! I plan on having a 16" 3/8 bar and either an 18" or 20" .325" bar (and I guess two or three chains to match).

CSSA Member

CCFR Member

mooboy76

i got a poulan pro 50 cc for half the price of husky/ stihl. i wouldn't run it if I worked in the bush but for 200 on sale i have no complaints. come with chain oil bar and hard case.

i have to use thicker oil for bar as it pumps a lot w no adjustment , even at idle so i just shut i off when i have to move pile. 20 bar makes cutting quicker as i can double log and chain stays sharper longer, haven't used the file yet this is second year,

easy start and i dont run out of gas during a job , i always have to move pile before i have to gas up. and since imresidential i usually runn it just off wide open so its a bit quieter. 3-5 cords a year,

Double log cuts eh? Might be a good reason to look at a 20" bar instead of the 18" as my long bar.

I have looked at some of the poulan pro models, as well as the Echo models, and I might get one later for a backup saw. I found a few on Kijiji as well, but couldn't actually find model number info for one of them (Poulan Pro 150). They work for a lot of people.

CSSA Member

CCFR Member

mooboy76

Been very happy with my Jonsered, 10 years and still going strong. Check them out as well.

Yeah, I still have to get out to Kakabeka to talk to the dealer there. That is the only one, right?

From what I've read, Jonsered and Husqvarna are manufactured in the same facilities and are very similar to each other. I don't like their website and for some reason there are no pro model saws listed on the Jonsered Canada site. I'll have to get the straight goods from the dealer.

Either way I don't mind spending part of an afternoon sipping coffee from that Moose place and fondling chainsaws.

CSSA Member

CCFR Member

mooboy76

Does anyone use the heated handle/heated carb models?

Is it worth the extra $90-$130?

CSSA Member

CCFR Member

levi64

I have 4 sthil saws, wouldn't buy anything else. I use a Ms 391 for my larger wood and it runs flawless will cut all day long with a chisled chain ( its not the low kickback chain so you want to practice with the saw before going to this chain). I have 3 smaller saws. You said for cutting 10 cord and brush cutting, You should have two saws really or compromise.. If your cutting brush you won't last long with a 391 or larger you would want a lighter saw depending on how much you are planning to cut. I use an old 026 for brush, you can't kill them and they are fairly small.( keep an eye on kijiji for one) That said, if you cut into a 10 cord pile you will want a large saw with the biggest bar you can put on it, so don't go small for that saw, I wouldn't go under the 391, and would even give thought of moving up in size to a larger pro model, yes it is a larger cost but you will have it for a lifetime cutting your firewood. People can debate the 200-300 series saws all day long as to power to weight ratio and all that crap,, get the biggest saw you are comfortable with. PS. don't get thinking you have to buy from town.... I bought one saw from Gander Mountian in duluth they were very helpful, there is also a few great chainsaw places in that town with good deals.

• Like 1

sportspal

Fantasty Falls in Kakabeka Falls is the only place around to buy a saw. Talk to Tom and he will help you ...great guy.

• Like 1

levi64

The big 3 use to be Husky, Sthil and Jonsered.. The old Husky saws were great, not so much anymore, some metal parts are now plastic. Jonsered,,, where are you going to get it serviced??? Go with sthil and go as big as you can afford or handle. You may even want to look at Dolmar saws, in my opinion they are second to Sthil, very dependable and good weight to HP. The mechnix shop on Fredricia sells them and services them. Lots of sthil shops everywhere for service, easy to find parts and they are tough as heck. Once you use it for awhile and are comfortable get a super rapid chain. I buy mine at Dennys lawn and garden in Duluth. Put that baby on and it will dig into wood like nothing you ever used before, don't have to sharpen the chain as much as regular chains. I cut more than 10 cords a year, been doing it for alot of years and I will never buy anything but sthil. Whatever you decide on, be safe, if your not use to cutting, get the safety equipment, always keep the tip up, its almost always the tip that will conect with something for kickback. Big saw, , Big Bar,, good luck. ^_^

• Like 1

mooboy76

Fantasty Falls in Kakabeka Falls is the only place around to buy a saw. Talk to Tom and he will help you ...great guy.

I called and talked to Darren yesterday. Had a great conversation and I will be taking a trip over the next week to check their place out.

I have 4 sthil saws, wouldn't buy anything else. I use a Ms 391 for my larger wood and it runs flawless will cut all day long with a chisled chain ( its not the low kickback chain so you want to practice with the saw before going to this chain). I have 3 smaller saws. You said for cutting 10 cord and brush cutting, You should have two saws really or compromise.. If your cutting brush you won't last long with a 391 or larger you would want a lighter saw depending on how much you are planning to cut. I use an old 026 for brush, you can't kill them and they are fairly small.( keep an eye on kijiji for one) That said, if you cut into a 10 cord pile you will want a large saw with the biggest bar you can put on it, so don't go small for that saw, I wouldn't go under the 391, and would even give thought of moving up in size to a larger pro model, yes it is a larger cost but you will have it for a lifetime cutting your firewood. People can debate the 200-300 series saws all day long as to power to weight ratio and all that crap,, get the biggest saw you are comfortable with. PS. don't get thinking you have to buy from town.... I bought one saw from Gander Mountian in duluth they were very helpful, there is also a few great chainsaw places in that town with good deals.

I've definitely considered the cross-border shopping - have you had any warranty experience with the US bought models? I haven't asked at the various dealers.

A two saw plan would probably be the best in the long run, I guess. I can't do both right now though, unless I find a sweet used deal. Definitely something to chew on, thanks.

The big 3 use to be Husky, Sthil and Jonsered.. The old Husky saws were great, not so much anymore, some metal parts are now plastic. Jonsered,,, where are you going to get it serviced??? Go with sthil and go as big as you can afford or handle. You may even want to look at Dolmar saws, in my opinion they are second to Sthil, very dependable and good weight to HP. The mechnix shop on Fredricia sells them and services them. Lots of sthil shops everywhere for service, easy to find parts and they are tough as heck. Once you use it for awhile and are comfortable get a super rapid chain. I buy mine at Dennys lawn and garden in Duluth. Put that baby on and it will dig into wood like nothing you ever used before, don't have to sharpen the chain as much as regular chains. I cut more than 10 cords a year, been doing it for alot of years and I will never buy anything but sthil. Whatever you decide on, be safe, if your not use to cutting, get the safety equipment, always keep the tip up, its almost always the tip that will conect with something for kickback. Big saw, , Big Bar,, good luck. ^_^

Thanks for the heads up on the Dolmar/Makitas. I had no idea they were even available in town.

I'll check out those chains once I get my training wheels off! I am picking up the pro level chaps, plus my helmet w/muffs regardless of the saw & chain I get. I need to last as long as the saw too ;-)

I believe that Fantasy Falls in Kakabeka is a service centre for Jonsered. Then again, they are built very similar to the huskys, so maybe a husky centre does both.

CSSA Member

CCFR Member