• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Porkchop21

7mm-08 for moose?

Porkchop21

What's everyone's opinion on a 7mm-08 for moose? It seems like most people have a mixed reaction. The girlfriend wants her own rifle and browning makes a nice .308 youth model but its $800. Savage has a youth model but in a 7mm-08, looks like a nice little gun. Just not sure if it would be safe for moose. I don't like chasing things with the chance of not getting it. Opinions please?

naden

I dont see why you couldnt kill a moose with a 7mm 08 using a delayed expansion bullet and a properly placed shot in a reasonable distance. Out west they are used for mixed bag hunts of coyotes/deer/elk/moose. I dont own a 7mm-08 but Ive always thought that they offered a significant reduction in recoil with out a significant reduction in killing power compared to other popular rounds.

naden

Another thing to consider is the weight of the rifle and how it fits. On paper a 7mm08 has considerably less recoil than say a 308 or 30-06 but the perceived recoil may be greater than expected on a light synthetic rifle or a rifle that doesnt fit properly. My personal opinion is that, generally speaking, a synthetic stocked rifle doesnt really suit a youth model and counteracts the benefit of lighter recoiling calibres. However stock design can make a difference as well. I have two 308 rifles that are about the same weight and same type of action but the perceived recoil of one is considerably greater than the other. The one with greater perceived recoil has a larger drop at the comb. Here is a link to a rifle recoil table. http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Spectre

Don't know much about the 7mm-08 but you may want to consider how available and how much is ammo as well... I use 30-06 and I know 7mm ammo is more which is why I stayed with the same claiber when I got my new gun.

Hurketthunter

It can be used for moose with proper bullets and bullet placement. By that I mean no frontal shots or shots through the shoulder. My wife hunts deer with her 7mm-08 but if loaded with partitions it is moose capable. Last time I was at pritchards he had a box or two of 140gr partitions. Something to keep in mind is that finding high end rounds for this caliber can be difficult as it isn't popular in this area. If you handload then it's a non issue. Personally when I bought my wife her first rifle it was a .308 because I knew she wanted to hunt moose and finding ammo would not be an issue. Good luck and enjoy spending time in the field with your girlfriend. Do it right and you will have a hunting partner for life.

Hurketthunter

PRO V

It will do the job, but as stated above, placement, and type of round used is key you want to make sure you have a clear shot of the engine compartment, or head, distance and cover will not be your friend. I'm sure GMK, or Pritchards, will be able to help you out on ammo. Is your girlfriend an advid shooter?

Mike

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

7-08 will do just fine on moose , bullet choice and shot placement more critical but still not an irresponsible choice or anywhere close. a more than capable cartridge

just an fyi though 7mag or 30-06 has reduced recoil loads you can buy same price i think , you can always go up to regular loads later.

i would try to find rifle with a nice fit and trigger over a specific caliber , dont order form a catalog. make sure it fits her. a poor fitting 30-30 will kick harder than an good fitting magnum.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Porkchop21

Yes she likes to shoot and his not afraid of the recoil even though she's only 5'3 and 130 pounds. She shot my T3 300WSM last year and held on to it pretty good, what a sight though. Haha. Everyone seems to have the same view, I agree shot placement and ammunition is key.

PRO V

.....................Ryan makes a good point on fit.

Mike

Thefishleclair

My 14 year old daughter has a7mm 08. She is prob 100 lbs at best. She shoots it just fine. As for bullets you can find em around no problem. I never had an issue yet. As for will it drop a moose. I say no problem. Just put the bullet where the money counts

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest Beamer

Anything that can be done with a 308 can be done with a 7-08. Buy it and go hunting.

X 2 (.284" VERSUS .308) = .024" Difference which is not much, use quality bullets and go hunting

NorthwestHunter

Its the shooter...not the caliber.

A larger caliber will give you a little more room for error if you hit a shoulder etc....but thats about it.

The 7mm-08 is incredibly similar to a .308 WIN., which has killed many moose.

My first hunting rifle was a Browning BBR in .308 WIN and I killed my first moose no problem.

All about shot placement.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

Buck 120

If you are looking at a 284, my buddy has one on consignment at GMK. Browning, I believe.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

flybum

My little brother shot a 6x6 bull elk last year with his 7mm-08 , no problem at all ... Get out there!