• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nwodeerhunter

New Truck Tires.....Any Thoughts, Opinions or Suggestions?

nwodeerhunter

Hey Everyone,

I'm in the market for new truck tires. The ones that are on my beast now were brand new when I got the truck 3 years ago but have never been impressed with them at all. Now that I have some money I'm finally gonna to get some new rubber. I drive a 2007 Dodge Ram Power Wagon (similar to 2500) that has LT285/70R17. I have owned Yokohama Geolander A/T-S tires before and was leaning towards them again but on a recent hunting trip (last week in deep snow) we took a friends truck and he has the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac and I was very impressed. What are your thoughts, opinions or suggestions?

Cheers!

Marc

Tikka T3 Stainless/Laminate 300 WSM
Tikka T3 Stainless/Synthetic .243Win
Benelli Supernova RealTree APG 12Ga.

TroutHunter

i picked up some BFG ATs this fall for my 2011 Ram 1500 and really like them… good grip on the ice and snow from what I've experienced this winter. was just running stock tires before these. These are the only other tires I've run so I have nothing to compare to…

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Guest xtrema-2

I am running DuraTracs now, they have excellent traction but they are on the soft side. I have 15k on mine so far, time will tell how long they will last. With regular rotation I'm hoping to get 70k out of them. Another nice option are the Nitto Terra Grapplers. Good luck.

Andrew

gsambray

I run cooper discoverer at3 and simply awesome. Been in the deep snow and ice with no issues. Lots of traction and quiet on the highway. Can get a 6 or 10ply. I run the 10ply. A little overkill but havent had a rock go through yet.

SherpaJ

I have the DuraTracs as well, great tire and great life! can cause a little bit of vibration in your truck, especially right after getting them rotated, but other than that I couldn't tell you one thing bad about them. I've got nearly 50,000 km on my pair with very little wear. know a guy who got 100k out of his.

NorthwestHunter

You can't beat the Duratracs. I've previously had Mickey Thompson ATZ's and Cooper Discoverers and neither even come close the the performance of the Duratrac.

Paul

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

levi64

I have BFG TAs on my Cummins but I also like the Cooper AT3s. The BFG wear like iron, the truck is heavy and i tow. Good all round for moderate driving.

levi64

I have BFG TAs on my Cummins but I also like the Cooper AT3s, I have them on my wife's vehicle. The BFG wear like iron, the truck is heavy and i tow. Good all round for moderate driving conditions.

naden

Bought a truck with the cooper at3s on it this fall, they seem good in gravel and snow and are quiet on the highway. I think the duratracs would out perform them in the mud and deep snow though. I wouldnt consider a 10 ply tire overkill if your driving on bush roads. Previous truck had geolander a/t, same deal as the coopers - good in gravel, snow and ice and quiet but not great in mud. I've also used mickey thompson fun country II and found them to be a good all around tire and better in mud but not as good on ice. Got almost 100k out of them.

Spectre

I had BFG AT's on my old truck and while I liked them I have Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX's on my truck now and I am loving these on gravel/mud/grass/snowy roads. Haven't came close to getting stuck with these and never have to worry about rocks and sticks going through the tires like the stock ones had so many times. The only weakness with these that I have found with all the all terrain tires is that they are not the best on ice...

DLC

I have had Cooper AT3s on for about two years now and would recommend them as a good AT tire for a 4X4. I also do a lot of highway driving back and forth from Ottawa to NW ON. In the winter I run Cooper Discoverer M+S. I believe both tires come in 6 ply (C rated) and 10 ply (E rated). I have the C rated versions on my half ton, but you would likely be better off with the E rated tire on a 3/4T.

Daryl

Mr. Canoehead

I'm running the Duratracks as well and they are a good all around tire. They are definitely as loud as some mud tires now that they are getting worn down though, I think my next tires will be Interco Trxus MT's. I had them on my last vehicle and they were amazing off road and on. They are made of a softer rubber and have plenty of siping so you have a true mud tire that is actually decent on ice. They sure won't last as long as duratracks but if you want performance and want to run one tire year round they are awesome.

Big Guy

I was looking for tires back in the fall as well. I had my heart set on the Cooper A/T 3's but at the last minute I cheaped out and went with the Canadian Tire specials, Motomaster Total Terrain A/T II's. I have to say I wasn't expecting much from these tires, but they have been amazing with all of the snow we have had. I don't expect anyone else to go out and buy them, but I got a set of the 275/55/20's for $750 taxes and warranty included. I couldn't pass up that deal. I haven't noticed any wear on them yet(5000 km's), they are a bit louder on the highway than my previous Pirelli's but I am very happy with them. My truck has not been placed in 4wd this winter yet. Last winter I don't think it was ever in 2wd. :)