• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mud trout

Switch rod

Guest mud trout

I'm considering a switch rod and wondering if any of you have experience with one. I found the TFO TICRx 9' rods that you can purchase a conversion kit for to make the rod somewhere around 11'. Two rods in one if you will. This idea appeals to me since i would like to have a fast action 8 weight 9' as well. My current 8 wt rods are more MFast. What can you guys tell me about this rod and conversion kit? Are there any cons that you know of. Also any info on switch rods in general would be appreciated. I tried the whole spey thing (14' rod) and it wasn't for me. I didn't have enough time to commit to it ( to busy chasing brookies on small creeks). My intention was to use it occasionally but i realized that wasn't going to cut it if i really wanted to learn to spey cast. With the shorter 11' rod i figure i can still do a fair bit of over head casting and also get longer drag free drift. Also looking forward to getting streamers out a good distance without having to double haul all day long. And if all of this doesn't work out just as i suppose i can always convert back to the 8' rod if i have the TFO model. What do you think?

Guest mud trout

Thanks for all the great info Duck! I sold the spey outfit so i have already given up on that. Having said that i still wanted something with more power and reach than a 9'er.

The line weight is where i am hung up when it comes to the TFO rod. Because of my limited experience with the spey rod i knew of the line weight difference. I had no idea whether switch rods followed the weight rating of regular fly rods or that of spey rods. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll have to do some research and see if i can find some customer reviews on the TFO co version rods. If this doesn't turn up good reviews I'll consider your advise to go with the lighter line rods. Thanks again!

Guest mud trout

Thanks Duck, my research showed the same for the TFO TICRx rods. One poster claimed to go two line weights higher. I believe the outbound is already a half line weight higher so If i decide on this rod it'll be the 7wt for sure. I already have a couple good eight weight lines and I have no problem buying the out bound line if i don't like the way these cast!

thanks again