• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
naden

Need advice from goose hunters

naden

Next fall I am going on a goose hunt in Manitoba, I currently only own a .410 shotgun. Anyone have any suggestions as to what type of shotgun I should be looking at for the hunt?

I realize most people will probably suggest 12 ga. but in a way I would prefer buying a 20 ga because I dont plan on goose hunting at all after that trip and would prefer a 20 ga for grouse hunting and possibly to take with me on camping trips.

Im not really looking to spend a lot of money, but at the same time I cant wrap my mind around paying 400 bucks for an 870 or mossy 500 as they all seem to be of questionable quality. Im not really into poor finishes, ugly wood and parkerized barels that rust, not really into plastic guns either but might consider one. The Novas seem to be decent quality at a reasonable price.

Is a 20 ga large enough for geese? Other forums suggest that as long as the geese are close 20 ga is fine. What type of ammo should I be using? Also what model shotgun would you suggest

Ive been looking for older/used wingmasters or bps shotguns but there doesnt seem to be many around.

Thanks,

Chris

sliver

Speed kills #2 and #3 kill geese fine at 45 yards if its leaveing the barrel at 1550 , 20GA. is fine as long as you limit your shots to that 40 yard range. GET out and shot what ever you buy

AB

An 870 Wingmaster will rust just as fast as an 870 Express, the gauge of the gun won't prevent that. (but a can of BBQ paint will bring the Express back to as good as new)

Find a shotgun that fits you, and practice with it, with the same speed shells that you are going to hunt with. There is HUGE difference in leads when going from 1150 -1200 fps to 1550 fps. You should also pattern the gun with those shells to determine your maximum range.

iceman

Thefishleclair

Shot both 20 and 12 out in the fields. Pick shots wisely with the 20! #2 black cloud is what i was lobbing.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

naden

The Wingmaster is blued and won't rust as fast as the Express....

This is what I was getting at, nothing to do with gauge.

naden

The Wingmaster is blued and won't rust as fast as the Express....

This is what I was getting at, nothing to do with gauge.

naden

You cannot go wrong with an 870......Wingmaster or Express. Both are terrific shotguns.

The 870 action will never ever ever fail you and you can strip it down to the guts in no time .... They are of EXCEPTIONAL quality.

(The Mossberg isn't remotely in the same league...)

You CAN shoot geese with a 20 gauge if you are a good wingshot, very disciplined and keep your shots close. They pattern different than a 12 as the shot will be more strung out, which can result in less pellets on target.

I think most people will agree that a 12 gauge, complimented with a fast 3" load, shooting at 1550 fps, is probably a much better choice for geese, especially if your experience wingshooting is fairly limited.

Ive always liked the fit of an 870 they seem to shoulder well. I think Id rather try and find an used 870 with a blued finish than an express. Do you have a specific load you would recommend and what type of choke is best?

Thanks for the help guys.

Mr. Canoehead

I have a 12 gauge 870 express in camo finish. I love hunting grouse with it. When you see one running away through the thick stuff you just shoot.

AB

Challenger - 3 inch, 1 1/4 oz payload, #2's 1450 fps

Ducks, geese, shoot'em all and the result is still the same. Fetch!

iceman

naden

THanks for the help guys. I didnt mean to insult anyone who shoots an express, It just seems that the newer the gun the worse the quality. Lots of stories of new express shotguns rusting and shells not ejecting, rough machining in chambers etc. Same goes for the new marlins. But other people luck out and get a good one.

Id like to get one before spring so I can get out and pattern the gun and do some shooting.

Do you guys go full out with the camo and blinds? Are geese that finicky when it comes to unnatural things like glare from a barrel or not concealing your face?

• Like 1

gsambray

What about us who shoot mossberg? Lol i bought one never had an issue. Actually took it outta the box and put 150 rounds through it shooting skeets. But i do agree with the finish. Not the greatest but happy with it.

Buck 120

Geese and ducks have extremely good vision. If they could only smell,, they would be impossible to hunt. Camo all the way!!!

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Buck 120

Interesting!!!

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

naden

What about us who shoot mossberg? Lol i bought one never had an issue. Actually took it outta the box and put 150 rounds through it shooting skeets. But i do agree with the finish. Not the greatest but happy with it.

Didnt mean to offend mossberg owners either!! Of the brand new guns that I looked at, my opinion was that the mossys seemed to have better fit and finish than the new 870 express, but the 870 seemed to fit me better. Only thing that felt cheap to me on the mossy was the plastic tang safety, but I realize those can be replaced. I havnt heard of the new mossys having as many problems as the new 870 expresses.

Has anyone tried the weatherby pa-08 or sa-08? The pump is in the same price range as the mossy and 870 express. I cant seem to find a bad review on it. Only downside I can see to them is they dont have as many accessories or parts available as the remingtons or mossys. I wasn't really looking to turn the shotgun into a zombie killer or home defence gun anyways.

gsambray

No offence taken. My dad has a weatherby. Its a very nice looking gun. I havent shot it much but he likes it. I do find the upgrades of the mossy interesting and the fact that it came with a riffled slug barrel nice. My mossy took a big doe this fall and the accuracy was surprising. Pushing 80 yards with a slug and she never took a step. Yet i shot a second doe at 60 yards with my 7mm mag and the s.o.b. ran like hell without lungs

Guest DartonRage2

Ive used kent fast steel and really like the ammo. Ive heard nothing but good things about the black cloud ammo tho u can find it at dnr not sure if they still carry kent fast steel anymore.

AB

Ive used kent fast steel and really like the ammo. Ive heard nothing but good things about the black cloud ammo tho u can find it at dnr not sure if they still carry kent fast steel anymore.

You may want to give the Challenger shells a go. They can be picked up through Cabela's Canada.

I used to use the Kent Fast Steel, but based on limited availability locally in Tbay, I started picking up a case of Challenger shells when in Wpg. They cost less then the Kent's and work just as well out of both my 12ga.

I've still got several boxes of the Kent shells for my 20ga.....

iceman

Guest geoff_seth

My brother has the Weatherby PA-08 in 20 gauge with the 26 inch barrel, used for hunting grouse. It has a nice finish and fit but does seem jam a bit.....it may need to be broken in or need some fine tuning. We have never hunted goose but with the 3 inch mags it packs a decent punch and seems to be accurate when shooting clays. It will probably do the trick for the occasional goose hunt but not ideal. But at the end of the day you'll get a nice looking affordable grouse gun.

DC_84

Just a heads up that as of last year you must obtain a MB Hunter Education Certificate to be able to purchase any hunting license in MB. We almost found it out the hard way as it takes up to 8 weeks to obtain.

naden

According to the Manitoba website, a MB hunter education certificate is required to buy a license, or an equivalent from any other jurisdiction. So I would assume an ontario hunter safety course would be all that is required?

It also states that if your province has a card allowing you to purchase a hunting license(ontario hunting outdoors card), that is only obtainable by passing a hunter safety course, carrying that card is sufficient.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/wildlife/hunting/hunteredu.html

DC_84

I thought the same, until I was told otherwise. An Outdoors Card doesn't show proof enough to them that you passed a course... I sent you a PM...

AB

I had no problem showing my Ontario outdoors card and buying a Manitoba Licence....

No problem at all.

It sounds like the person(s) who made you jump through a series of hoops to obtain a hunting license in Mb was mis-informed on the requirements.

My wife nor I had any questions asked when we purchased small game licenses in Manitoba in 2013 and produced our Ontario Hunter Outdoor cards. The clerk merely ticked the box on the form that indicated we produced our home provinces proof of having passed a recognized hunter education course and we were off to the races. BTW, we purchased our licenses in separate locations, and on different dates.

Manitoba recognizes the Ontario Hunting Outdoors Card as proof of passing an accredited Canadian Hunter Safety program.

That being said, failure to be able to provide proof will result in a major pain in the butt.

iceman

DC_84

Eitherway... I have the proper paperwork and will never have an issue buying a license or running into a Fish & Game Officer while in MB.