• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Wes

Accountability

Accountability  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should this forum force real name use only.

Guest Wes
I have always had a real problem with forums which don't insist on real names. How do you trust a post by someone who calls himself "EverLastingKnowItAll" as an example. There is no accountability here. I`d like to think that we`d have far less trolling and shenanigans if we had some accountability.

Having said that I doubt there is a way for the moderators to verify the real name entered is true. If so then even better. I'm tired of reading something interesting only to see it was posted by XZYAnglerPerson and being somewhat disappointed because I don't know who it is.

I'll put this to the poll and see what happens.

FYI, I have always used my real name on this site.

Wes

gsambray

That would be a better way to get to know other members too. As gsambray since I first joined it is my name - Gord Sambray. Plus its easier putting a face to a real name than a screen name

Gone8to1248

why doesn't someone put together a meet and greet? We have had them in the past and they went rather well meeting other members.

Bernie

• Like 1

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

For the first 5 years I was on the site every post I made ended with "Brodie K" Brodie Kenna.

Guest 2112

Real name forums are just asking for shoreline trouble. Ive lived in TBay for 2 years now and it has not taken me long to realise that the 6 degree's of separation are about 4 degree's too many. Way to many heated debated for real names on this forum!

gsambray

Real name forums are just asking for shoreline trouble. Ive lived in TBay for 2 years now and it has not taken me long to realise that the 6 degree's of separation are about 4 degree's too many. Way to many heated debated for real names on this forum!

Real names may also be a good way to stop some of the heated debates. If you use your real name then you cant hide behind a fake one. Heck ive made some poor judgements in posts ive made and look back and think to myself "what the heck was I thinking" know I try to think before I post. So my opinion is if you cant hide behind a fake name it might at least make you think before you type

sinker7

'Real name' sounds good to me. 'Sinker7' was used initially because it sounds better than 'Glenn Leroux'.

Guest 2112

Real names may also be a good way to stop some of the heated debates. If you use your real name then you cant hide behind a fake one. Heck ive made some poor judgements in posts ive made and look back and think to myself "what the heck was I thinking" know I try to think before I post. So my opinion is if you cant hide behind a fake name it might at least make you think before you type

I suppose. At the very least it may promote people actually discussing fishing within the topics instead of squabbling. To many great topics are ruined on this board by a handful of people squabbling over what should and shouldnt be discussed.

eddylives

While in theory that's a good idea.......but......

Imagine some of these anti hunting fishing people or groups getting a hold of you and harassing/threatening you or your family because of your personal beliefs and lifestyle.

It would more than likely lead to the end of any open forums and the anti "________" people or groups having control of our lives and making decisions for everyone in their favour

Right now we have control and are able to deal with the people and groups that don't like our lifestyle by not allowing them to harass and attack the site or it's members.

If one chooses to use their proper name that's their decision to make....it should not be forced on everyone.

• Like 3

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

fisherdude

That's a good point, if everyone used there real name and someone reading it that isn't even on the site and has an issue with what you said then they could look you up and harass you or whatever they want. It could lead to some ugly times no doubt. But also could clean up a lot of the goofy posts that have we tend to see after a long winter...

ghart

Accountability on the interwebs in general has been nearly non-existant in the past, now with moves to social media and much larger digital footprint and easier to access personal data and information at a few keystrokes. Today a person has to actively try to stay hidden.

The argument that the "crazies" can get ahold of your information and harass you is not really valid - as it would take anyone with a few simple searches to determine a personal ID, physical location and more.

Conversely if you are an avid hunter/fisher - shouldn't you have the right to stand up for what you do? Being in the open makes you accountable but also makes you "countable", not by the fringe but by the government, organizations and groups that will support you and would need support from you. Staying behind anonymity just lets the fringe rule the roost.

Apparent anonymity on message boards has long since allowed people to hide and say stuff they would never say face to face, or with a name attached. I have never posted anything under a false name, nor do I plan to. I have lost a job directly to a "crazy" who complained (Harassed my boss extensively) about my public stance when the gun registry came into existence.

How I treat this message board: Roger is the supreme leader, we are all guests, we abide by his rules and if his names out there mine will be to.

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

Guest Munshaw

I don't like using my real name for anything. Then I can't say what I want without standing behind it.

Jokes aside I don't worry about using my name because I never say anything I'd be afraid to attach my name to. That's the way it should be.

WalleyeWayne

What is the purpose of an Avatar then? Shouldn't everyone be required to post a pic of themselves instead of hiding behind an Avatar? Some people are introverts and enjoy being part of the board, but are sometimes reluctant to post because of fear of judgement from other members. By using a site moniker and Avatar allows them to feel comfortable posting because they feel they cannot be identified by the masses. I use a personal pic but use the favorite nickname given to me as my site name. The site has moderators so why after so many years do we think things need to be changed? I know it's an election year but.......

Guest Wes

By using a site moniker and Avatar allows them to feel comfortable posting because they feel they cannot be identified by the masses.

This is exactly the point I am trying to address. Far too many people feel comfortable to go willy nilly on the internet because they can't be identified.

Some good points made in this discussion, for and against. I've been a member here since 2007 and have always used my name and have always stood up for what I believe. I have never been contacted or confronted because of it. But I do see your point and it is a somewhat valid argument.

Ultimately I don't see this thread resulting in forcing anyone to change their name and that's too bad because the shenanigans will continue.

eddylives

I understand both sides of this debate.....both sides have valid points.

The one example I will reluctantly use is this one.......

The abortion doctors that were murdered by the people that strongly believe against what they do.

Ghart...(please don't take this as a personal attack) .I would like to propose that you do a simple search like you say on myself like you state and prove to me how easy it will be to identify me.

But please keep your results private and off the forum.....pm me with the results as this is only a test lol

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Zackcorbin1401

I got my real name in my profile

scandiman

This is exactly the point I am trying to address. Far too many people feel comfortable to go willy nilly on the internet because they can't be identified.

Some good points made in this discussion, for and against. I've been a member here since 2007 and have always used my name and have always stood up for what I believe. I have never been contacted or confronted because of it. But I do see your point and it is a somewhat valid argument.

Ultimately I don't see this thread resulting in forcing anyone to change their name and that's too bad because the shenanigans will continue.

I hear both arguments and see valid points from both sides. I will say this, regardless of whether or not someone has an avatar, uses their real name, or just a nickname with their photo, one thing remains true......there will always be those folks who like to stir the pot and cause shenanigans.

It's a given fact of life. Not just online, but out there in the real world. No one is required to wear a name tag while they go through the everyday motions of life, whether they act inappropriately or not.

My two cents,

Markus

• Like 2

j.klister

In my experience when people want "accountability" what they really want is to not have to listen to people that have points of view different from their own

• Like 3

naden

In the many years that I have used this site I cant remember any posts that I have made that would have been different or edited had I used my real name. However, I chose not to use my real name because the info on here is available to anyone and once its on the internet it is out there forever. I enjoy my privacy and have made an effort to keep as much personal info as I can off of the internet. If Roger had remained annonymous on this site would he still have pissed off people harassing and threatening him at home? As eddylives said how easy would it be for an "anti" to come on here write down everyones names and start harassing everyone? How easy would it be for a current or new employer to google your name and read through all your posts and decide whether you should be employed or not depending on your opinions on gun control? How would this rule even be enforced? How would you stop anyone from using John Doe? Oh I know, all members will be required to submit their social insurance numbers and 3 valid peices of ID before being allowed to post.

Just my two cents

Sincerely,

Joey joe joe junior mcshabadoooo

• Like 1

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

the offensive language filter wont allow my nicknames :(

had to use real name

• Like 2

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

The_Outdoorsman

what if the site became a members only site?

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Please elaborate on whether this is first name or first and last that would be mandatory.

NorthwestHunter

I've thought about this for some time. I've even asked a moderator in a PM about their thoughts. However, any comments I've left that weighed a strong opinion were followed by my name, Paul.

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

jonnyriabov

I use jonnyriabov because my real name Hugh G Rection, gives people the wrong idea......