• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Wes

Accountability

Accountability  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should this forum force real name use only.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

I use jonnyriabov because my real name Hugh G Rection, gives people the wrong idea......

Hahahhahaha

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

robbo

I use jonnyriabov because my real name Hugh G Rection, gives people the wrong idea......

About what, Hugh?

going fishing is okay, going catching is great!

robbo

I used to go by "Harry Knots"' but when a thistly beaver got all tongue tied over it I decided to shave it down a hair. Now my username is cleaner and easier to use.

going fishing is okay, going catching is great!

WalleyeWayne

This is exactly the point I am trying to address. Far too many people feel comfortable to go willy nilly on the internet because they can't be identified.

Some good points made in this discussion, for and against. I've been a member here since 2007 and have always used my name and have always stood up for what I believe. I have never been contacted or confronted because of it. But I do see your point and it is a somewhat valid argument.

Ultimately I don't see this thread resulting in forcing anyone to change their name and that's too bad because the shenanigans will continue.

You have just validated the point I was expressing about people being judgemental with your comment "But I do see your point and it is a somewhat valid arguement". You unilatrally decided that I have a "somewhat valid arguement". It's comments like that that deter people from posting on this site or choose to try to stay somwwhat anonymous.

naden

I was thinking the same wayne

pastor norm

The way that criminal/commercial/political/employment interests scan the internet for personal info, I think we need to be careful with disclosing ANY personal information -- including full names. We have the Privacy Act, and the laws in it exist for good reasons.

That being said, it is discouraging how so much disinformation, hate, bullying, etc, is given full public hearing under anonymous handles. All in the name of free speech. I would hope that all of us would give greater weight to opinions expressed by people like Wes and Wayne simply because their willingness to be accountable for them.

pastor norm

BTW -- my real name is Heather Graham

j.klister

Further to my other post, it's also my experience that the degree to which anyone finds a particular post to be "abrasive" or "trolling" depends on the degree to which it agrees with a persons point of view

That is, if someone posts something I disagree with I am more likely to think its a troll no matter how nicely they say it

Gone8to1248

Real name,screen name or nickname anything is fine on here. How many times have people used screen names and nicknames on the board, but if you PM or email them they use their personal name in them? I think once you have gone one of those routes it makes it more personal and people get more comfortable. You are no longer talking to a screen, you are now talking with a live person. Have you ever talked with someone on here and get one impression and then meet the person in real life and then have a totally different opinion of them?

What we read on line is only words on a screen void of emotion and body language, tools that we normally use to help digest what is being said. As the saying goes "You said,I thought, and Really is" goes a long way on here. Some people choose to write elegantly and others are direct to the point when they write,both can be correct. As far as something being valid, I would guess that is in the eye of the person writing or speaking. In other words everything can be validated by the person saying what is being said. Now everything I just wrote is valid--------In MY opinion!

Guest Wes

You have just validated the point I was expressing about people being judgemental with your comment "But I do see your point and it is a somewhat valid arguement". You unilatrally decided that I have a "somewhat valid arguement". It's comments like that that deter people from posting on this site or choose to try to stay somwwhat anonymous.

Wayne, all that was meant by that is that I don't fully agree with you. As mentioned I have never been contacted because of this site and the use my full name. I thought that was clear, but I guess we can chalk another one up to the internet bewilderment.

Either way, no harm no foul.

Good discussion, now I know where we stand.

Wes

levi64

Too much time on your hands. Should be out fishing.

Guest Hauntedyards

Real names don't make people accountable. Look at facebook.... the playground of the passive aggressive. I've had the same nickname so long if you type my forum name into Google maps it takes you to my house... That's accountable... lol

Bunnyfoofoo

LOL @ Ryan.P good one

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot!

Bunnyfoofoo

real name is my sig

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot!

Guest (Banned)DrunkBoater

John Christiansen, originally from Markham Ontario, moved here for employment. Like to fish steelhead and walleye if anyone ever wants to have a few pops and go for a day

• Like 1