• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Johnnyreid

Salmon

pastor norm

I found the fish shaped weights and the flat weights do too much meandering.

The ocean tides also mess with a steady track so I stick to the nice round ones.

Usually I use the 10 lbs in Superior. If I am stacking or going very deep, I use

the 12s or a 15.

I am ready to hunt some salmon. PM is you want to tag along,

PRO V

Usually 10lb but if I'm stacking or running jewellery 12lb

Mike

pastor norm

Finally got out and launched at Silver Islet yesterday. Gorgeous day but as

usual the winds took over by midafternoon.

Landed 8 salmon between the two of us and gently released two (2-3 lbs) that

were too small. The keepers were in the 5-7 lbs range. There was one very frantic

double-header which included a kamakazi fish that wanted to take out my prop.

We survived with gear intact and hoisted silver twins which turned out to be the biggest

fish for the day.

Most fish were striking at around 40 feet on the downrigger and most were fooled

by a magnum moonshine spoon trolled approximately 3 MPH on the gps. Three good

sized lakers were also fooled and one of them was a lean and mean redfin.

Saw the regulars out there. The boat launch was rather crowded. I am not in the

salmon derby this year but it was great to finally get out and feel the firm handshake

of a Lake Superior chinook.

Enjoy yourselves out there give a friendly wave to your fellow fisherpeople.

• Like 1

Johnnyreid

Haven't been to silver islet in years. Can't remember what the boat launch was like. Would u be able to launch a 21 foot cabin cruiser there.? Thanks.

fishman1

Haven't been to silver islet in years. Can't remember what the boat launch was like. Would u be able to launch a 21 foot cabin cruiser there.? Thanks.

no, go to squaw bay.

pastor norm

I agree... Squaw Bay is the place to launch bigger boats

AB

Before you drag something as large as a 21ft cabin cruiser over to Squaw Bay, I'd recommend taking a drive and checking it out first, and bringing a small boat with a good depth finder to check out the approaches to the landing / docking area would be a good idea.

Without knowing what you draft, there are some nice little surprises close to the dock once on the water. The road in and turn around areas are, well,.......CRAP. I have no idea how much height clearance you need on the road in, something else to consider.

Find the launch at Pearl Harbour deeper in Black Bay. I think it would be a much better option than the Squaw Bay launch for a larger boat.

good luck,

iceman

tbayfinn

FYI its officially called Sibley Bay now, but of course I doubt that name will ever stick....

Johnnyreid

Never launched at squaw bay only boated into black Bay Area. Was looking at map, what would the best route to drive truck to the boat launch? Thanks

pastor norm

Anyone want to share what's happening off the breakwall?

Was thinking of going tomorrow. Seemed the fish were

few and deep and small.

Of course, that can change overnight.

pastor norm

I have never launched at Squaw Bay myself.

Besides the access in Hurkett, I believe there is also a launch in Dorion.

I am going to try that one next time I go to Black Bay.

McGinnis_Fishing

We did okay out by the welcomes, the fish were 40-60 fow. Lots of bait balls.

tbayfinn

Never launched at squaw bay only boated into black Bay Area. Was looking at map, what would the best route to drive truck to the boat launch? Thanks

Highway 587 into Sleeping Giant Park and turn left at Portage Drive. Parking is limited when busy, people end up parking at the road occasionally. Water level is up but still need to watch for reefs when heading out from the dock, nothing is marked. Used for commercial fishing and docks are in rough shape. Ramp was somewhat fixed up by MNR a few years ago. Note that the commercial fisherman are not happy when access to their facilities are blocked.

Castnblast

Speaking of salmon,

a friend in BC beached this beast today. On a fly rod.

Fun stuff! Wish we had them like that around here! : )

post-97-0-07795600-1405544533_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

pastor norm

now that's a salmon. *s*

bet he thought he hooked something on rails.

pastor norm

So how was the fishing this last week? Was the derby catch a marker of a healthy population? What were the best colours/rigs this year?

I found the Moonshine lures seemed to work very well. The glow seemed to make a difference, though blues and oranges seemed to be best. A fairly fast troll was productive in medium depths (30-50 feet). Didn't try deep or shallow. My trips were too few.

Next time I'll try to stick with a small flasher with a coho killer a few feet behind ... or a squid/squirt bait on a short leader behind a flasher....

fishingfinn

I just saw the results for this years salmon derby. The big winner was a whopping 8.39 lbs. Last the year, the winner was 11.28 lbs...the year before was 25.5 lbs. Any reason, or theories why the decline in numbers of bigger salmon?

Lundy

I was out most of the week. Tried everywhere. Black bay, welcome islands, turtle head, silver islet, little trout bay. Found it to be a very tough bite and seemed to be consistent with everyone I talked to. Had a couple okay trips a few weeks ago but then it seems to have shut right down. What gives this year??

ghart

Could simply be the drastic weather differences last year was cold little better this year but 3 years ago we had boats in the water in april

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

Foozer

Are the results posted anywhere online?

And I'm curious as to how many of the salmon that were weighed in are actually hatchery fish?

If it's at all consistent with every other year, I would have to guess next to none.

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

crazyctr

I have never launched at Squaw Bay myself.

Besides the access in Hurkett, I believe there is also a launch in Dorion.

I am going to try that one next time I go to Black Bay.

hi norm there is no launch in dorion but there is a public launch at pearl harbor just take the road #5 south in pearl its about 10 km in then make a left and follow that road to black bay

hbaits.jpg

fishman1

Overall, very slow fishing for the derby. And yes, small fish. I would think the same, very few hatchery fish being caught.

The hatchery has never seemed to produce fish.

tequila shooter

We only caught 2 salmon that we got to the boat in 5 days on the water. Lake Trout were all over the water column, had riggers set at 25 and 29 feet and nailed 3 lake trout on the sliders. Didn't help surface temp Tuesday was 38.4 degrees and fish all over the graph. Wednesday water temp at surface was 55.6 degrees and lake was calm by Cranberry Island, and managed to latch into 2 Salmon. Thursday water temps were 48.5 degress, fish all over the screen and not one bite in 5.5 hours:( Friday Lake was rollers and once again marking few fish,and had one mystery fish that didn't get to fight and one lake trout. Monkey Puke and Watermelon didn't work at all, and ended up running blue and silver or Blueberry muffin.

Thinking August will be better for Silver Islet, or should I say hoping its better. Might have to give you a call Norm for a day on the water, and more ideas of what to use. First week of August

pastor norm

Happy to, Shooter!

I am not the expert on Lake Superior salmon but I get my fair share.

I am on call on the first 10 days of August.. week days till 5 PM I am free

during that time.

After the 10th, I got 22 days to fish without worrying about the time.