• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Johnnyreid

Salmon

tequila shooter

Thanks for the update. I ll keep you in mind and look forward to getting out with you, and even throw some money for gas your way. I am still learning, and this is my 4th summer taking care of a camp at Silver Islet so when the weather co operates I try and get out. Best part is if we get something we can go back to the camp and BBQ a fresh Salmon. I message you and give you my number in August

Gerry

PRO V

Went out last night after supper for a couple of hours managed 5 trout & two salmon caught everything on Brads cut plugs, Black jack and Sea Hawk seem to be the ticket. Surface temp 59 everything caught around the thirty foot mark.

Mike

Python

Pro V,

Where about were you fishing if you don't mind me asking. I was out last night by the Welcome Islands and marked lots of fish, but got absolutely nothing. Was on the water for about 3hrs.

pastor norm

Ha! Pro, I have one of those Brad's cutplug.. never got it out of the package.

Did you put the rig behind a flasher? or just behind the cannonball with no

extra flash?

PRO V

Python I was out just past the blue ship about 3/4 of the way to the welcomes trolling back and forth parallel. was heading for the foot of the giant but it started to roll so I stayed close. Marking fish right through the column 20' down to 80' the active fish were in the 30' - 40' foot range. Don't be shy in changing up presentations, and spoon color........no flasher Norm just the plug filled with...... :ph34r:

Mike

Sugar Shack

by the way most salmon fisherman out there do not know what they are looking for if a salmon is a natural fish or a hatchery fish 20 percent of the fish I caught last year were from the hatchery which was 21 salmon. there was fish brought in the derby this year and fisherman didnt even know they had a hatchery fish

icehuts.html

fishman1

by the way most salmon fisherman out there do not know what they are looking for if a salmon is a natural fish or a hatchery fish 20 percent of the fish I caught last year were from the hatchery which was 21 salmon. there was fish brought in the derby this year and fisherman didnt even know they had a hatchery fish

adipose clip???

fishman1

i tend to disagree with you Archie! I believe most anglers on this board are knowledgeable enough to notice clipped fins. The recap percentage of the derby 2 years ago was I believe 1 /10 th of 1 percent. (Correct me if I am wrong) but it was VERY low. If the recap rate was as high as you say, than the salmon association would be highlighting these numbers. I find it hard to believe that your recap rate of hatchery fish is so high.

Why hasn't the salmon association published these numbers from their Derbys??????????

The reason the NMR has not been keen to revoke the netting permits is because of low recaps and questions of whether the hatchery is working!

McGinnis_Fishing

I agree with that. The nipigon river should either be a sanctuary or have a closed season for them to spawn.

pastor norm

Tyee salmon were common in the Nipigon River at one time?

I have my doubts...

But I did read last year (when the annual salmon enhancement

argument was happening in this forum) that fishing pressure

DOES DECREASE the average size of the fish, all factors considered.

The bigger salmon in the run get selected by anglers for eating and

for bragging rights while smaller fish in the run are more likely to be

released. This gives smaller fish an edge in reproduction.

That was a west coast study, though. If salmon are getting smaller

on average in the Nipigon River, its got to be that there's less food for them

and/or their environment, including human predation, is shaping the

genetic makeup in that direction.

pastor norm

so which is it, One... ?

does the Nip have a healthy run despite our harvesting tactics or not?

fishman1

The hatchery has been nothing more than a white elephant from day 1 . Period!!!

If this hatchery has been producing, then we would be walking across their backs in the kam!

20 odd years and ZERO fish !

Give me a break Archie!

20 percent In your boat!

Give me a brake !

Do you sell swamp land in Florida as well?

pastor norm

One... I believe that too. And I agree with you about the 3 fish limit. I would include a minimum size as well..

The reason I am calling you on it is because it seemed at first that you were bemoaning the decline of salmon

in the Nipigon and you blamed the Association's egg harvest for taking out the big spawners.

My guess is that most of the "damage" done to the run isn't because of egg harvesting but because of fishing

pressure during the spawn. Even if the limit were three fish, the number of spawners killed by fishermen

in the river far outweighs what the Association does to the run. When I see what people are taking from the

river, it's not the spawned out and black fish they are after.

mad scientist

Pacific salmon compete with native species for spawning habitat and forage, prey on juvenile sportfish, and are thought to have collapsed the prey base in Lake Huron. The intent of stocking them in the first place was to provide a fast growing fish that anglers could harvest to take the pressure off of the native species that had collapsed. To suggest that these fish require a sanctuary or some kind of additional protection is ridiculous.

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3

Mr. Canoehead

Anyone tried the nipigon yet?

McGinnis_Fishing

Pacific salmon compete with native species for spawning habitat and forage, prey on juvenile sportfish, and are thought to have collapsed the prey base in Lake Huron. The intent of stocking them in the first place was to provide a fast growing fish that anglers could harvest to take the pressure off of the native species that had collapsed. To suggest that these fish require a sanctuary or some kind of additional protection is ridiculous.

I didnt realize this was the purpose of the salmon. Thats pretty cool though. It definatly does help woth the pressure on the native species. I would just like to see a health population of salmon

pastor norm

the original purpose of the salmon stocking program in the great lakes was to help clean up the massive amounts of invasive species like the alewives and smelts who were choking the water column and dying in big stinking windrows on expensive waterfront property. The boon to sport fishing and tourism also seemed a worthy goal at the time. Unfortunately, if you live by the sword then you die by the sword.

technically speaking, the new emphasis on stocking Atlantic salmon in Superior is artificial and also an introduction of a competing invasive species. I like the idea, but it seems pretty high minded to disparage the pacific stocks when we have a long history of using them for fishery management. AKA steelhead.

BuckWild

The hatchery has been nothing more than a white elephant from day 1 . Period!!!

If this hatchery has been producing, then we would be walking across their backs in the kam!

20 odd years and ZERO fish !

Give me a break Archie!

20 percent In your boat!

Give me a brake !

Do you sell swamp land in Florida as well?

must be in Wally-World.... Lots of fish this year, put about 100 in the boat. But sure are a lot of nice Steelhead keepers this year.

People apply the same old tactics to catch these salmon for 30 plus years, You got to get with the times and try different things from around the world... tust me it works, Salmon, trout and steelhead... lots of fish in this part of the world all summer just need to trigger them... and yes even hatchery salmon, 11 in my boat this year all released. Only one tagged rainbow which we put on the BBQ.

AB

must be in Wally-World.... Lots of fish this year, put about 100 in the boat. But sure are a lot of nice Steelhead keepers this year.

People apply the same old tactics to catch these salmon for 30 plus years, You got to get with the times and try different things from around the world... tust me it works, Salmon, trout and steelhead... lots of fish in this part of the world all summer just need to trigger them... and yes even hatchery salmon, 11 in my boat this year all released. Only one tagged rainbow which we put on the BBQ.

WOW

For the rest of us pagan fishermen, its been a tough year. From the Duluth area out to the Nipigon Straights the fishing has been below average this year.

A lot of really good anglers with more tricks in their tackle boxes than politicians have promises are shaking their heads and saving their gas.

The week long salmon derby had just over 400 fish entered this year, typically its closer to 700. Of those 400 or so, the top 50 were larger than 5lbs. So the bulk of the fish entered were pretty small all things considered.

Looking at the lake, water levels are up, its colder than normal for this time of the year, its been windy and nasty more than its been nice. Thunder storms track through every three or four days. Bait fish concentrations aren't where we normally find them, it hasn't been easy.

On the flip side, the walleye angling has been pretty good this summer!

So whoop T do, maybe I fall into the wally world group, but so what.

I won't have to worry about the MNR contacting the site admin folks to track me down to come check my freezer out for over possession of salmon!

Keep your hooks sharp!

iceman

BuckWild

dont loose touch, Its called fishing not catching and keeping... dont get landing fish mixed up with filling the cooler, I play by the rules and always will. its not about filling the freezer to some. You have hit the nail on the head with all the conditions you noted on weather, temperature and bait, but if your trying to save gas you aint going to do so well around the shores and bays, got to spend money on gas to find the fish this year and thats way out near the boundry waters, deep and always on the move

good luck the rest of the season as this is the best month to come for action

mad scientist

technically speaking, the new emphasis on stocking Atlantic salmon in Superior is artificial and also an introduction of a competing invasive species. I like the idea, but it seems pretty high minded to disparage the pacific stocks when we have a long history of using them for fishery management. AKA steelhead.

Any rumours that MNR is stocking Atlantics in Superior are just that. The only stocking of Atlantics in Superior was by Minnesota DNR between 1989 and 1992. Michigan DNR has been stocking Atlantics for years into Lake Huron, including the St. Marys River; undoubtedly some of those find their way into Superior, but there is definitely no new emphasis on stocking Atlantics here.

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3