• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

Let's start a tips thread!

Some Old Guy

I thought that maybe we can start a tips thread. You know a small tip that my help out others. Any tip will do, big or small. Try to keep it one tip per response.

I'll start.

Curb your jig hooks! A standard jig out of the pack should be modified slightly. Do this by curbing the hook.

To curb a jig hook just slightly bend the hook to the left or right of the shank to off set it. Then slightly bend the tip out to widen the gap. You'll get way more hook-ups this way.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

ghart

Fussy splake or brook trout. Spinner with worm under a bobber. Reel in 5 feet slowly then stop. Repeat until all the way in.

• Like 1

mybackyard125x125.jpg In the Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice.

ghart

Fish the shoreline the waves are hitting. Its eroding the shoreline and stirring up food and the fish know it.

• Like 1

ghart

Always have a blue n silver little cleo for any trout or salmon species.

• Like 1

ghart

Mix up your reeling when using spinners ore lures. Burst of speed then slow down then speed up.... or stop if enough water. Very effective for lakers.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

use pieces of pipe cleaner to hold hooks swivels,snaps split rings and other small items, you can put lots of different items in same compartment and never have them mix or tangle.

different colors for diff sizes,etc etc, hooks just slide off.

probably have over 2500 pieces of terminal tackle in one Plano 3700 box thanks to this

sure set treble hooks
post-499-0-33600200-1402786264_thumb.jpg
snaps, swivels and snap swivels
post-499-0-31054600-1402786290_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

WalleyeWayne

When going fishing for the weekend and you need ice, fill empty milk cartons and freeze them. Block ice lasts longer than cryo-packs and costs you nothing.

Gone8to1248

When going fishing for the weekend and you need ice, fill empty milk cartons and freeze them. Block ice lasts longer than cryo-packs and costs you nothing.

I use the plastic milk containers that we get down here that our milk comes in with screw on lids the same way to keep my food cold when I travel up there to Canada. When I'm not using them I just drain them and store them away. My frozen foods are still frozen 2-3 days later after being in the cooler with these. They come in 2 quart and 1 gallon sizes.

Gone8to1248

use pieces of pipe cleaner to hold hooks swivels,snaps split rings and other small items, you can put lots of different items in same compartment and never have them mix or tangle.

different colors for diff sizes,etc etc, hooks just slide off.

probably have over 2500 pieces of terminal tackle in one Plano 3700 box thanks to this

sure set treble hooks

attachicon.gif1391029580845.jpg

snaps, swivels and snap swivels

attachicon.gif1391031736432.jpg

I found some little boxes at a place called Joannes Fabrics that look like pill boxes that people put their pills in for traveling. I have 2 sizes, 1 small one for my snaps,swivels, split rings and items like that. The second one is big enough to hold my hooks up to 5/0 wide Gap Worm Hooks. I marked on the cover of each compartment the size of the hook in that compartment so I can just pop open that compartment and take out what I need. The doors on these boxes have a safety lock so they just can't pop open. Unlike a Plano 3700 box these will fit right in your pocket. They are also much cheaper.

Gone8to1248

Fish the shoreline the waves are hitting. Its eroding the shoreline and stirring up food and the fish know it.

100% right on! The wind also blows the plankton across, which the bait-fish follow and as we all know the big fish follows the bait-fish. Most people tend to fish the calm side to get out of the wind and the rougher water. It's harder to fish and maintain boat control but well worth it.

Some Old Guy

Working at D&R I see a lot of people come in and want to change their braid. If you spool it onto another reel you can get more use out of it.

Simply tie on the "used" top portion of the braid onto another reel. Wind it on and you'll end up with the unused portion at the top of the new spool allowing you to get more use out of it.

Roger

ghart

Speaking of braid....

Learn to tie the special braid knot The Palomar Knot. Most fishing knots are not good with braided line.

Use braided line for really light bites - you will feel everything on a light rod with braided line - even rocks/sand....

Purchase a braided line "burner" - Cutting with a knife can be... interesting at times.

Almost never set the hook with braided line (maybe for light bites with a small hook set) - there is zero stretch and usually a good strike by a fish will set the hook, a hook set could just pull the hook right out of its mouth. Simply reel in/tighten the line and keep retrieving.

naden

Got this one from MattyH, use large empty peanut butter containers for keeping leeches in your cooler. Much better than the styrofoam containers they are purchased in.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

When fishing rivers do not underestimate the potential for fish to be in the shallow water between you and the deeper water, always fish the close water before you jump in and wade to the ideal water, you'd be surprised at what you may find if you take the couple seconds and slow down to really assess the situation, I am sure many fish have been missed by rushing into the river and not taking the time to make a game plan.

Bobber Down

Pinch your barbs. Hooks are much easier to get out of fish, net and your hand.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

ghart

Ditto on fishing the shallow water and rivers n creeks. Was taught this when I was 12 or so and really increased my fish catching. Everyone fishes the holes, few fish the rapids.

Adrian

When you are filleting your fish to transport, and leaving a little tag of skin on it, removing that tag of skin at home is sometimes as issue. Next time, when you are removing the skin, and you are getting to the part where you are leaving a little tag of skin in the corner of the fillet, fold the skin back a couple inches and cut it off there, leaving about 2 inches of skin attached just by a small corner. When you get home, simply grab the 2 inch chunk of skin and rip it off the corner you left attached. Simple, and no knife required.

TroutHunter

use a thicker rubber band to keep line on a spool that is not empty yet. theres nothing worse than digging into your bag for some leader line and pulling out a 4' section that has unspooled itself!

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Guest 2112

If you are casting towards shore and happen to get your lure in a tree, try letting it fall to the surface (if you can). Once there, simply beginning dabbing it up and down. If a fish is around you will get you lure back and have no choice but to celebrate with a shore lunch.

bin fishin lots

Hey Roger great tip. I off set the hook on my jigs and my hook up% was way better. Great day on the water cause of that tip.

Some Old Guy

Use pool noodles to store lil' joes. The bigger diameter limits line coil and you can fit more lil' joes on it. You can also cut them to size. Some of then have a hole and you can run a piece if rope through and then the lil joes come off like toilet paper!!!

Guest Walleye Slayer

When river fishing for walleye.if the jig and minnow is not getting the bite or keeps hooking up on bottom. Carry a few straight or jointed #11 floating rapala's in your jig box. I use black with silver and perch colour. The walleye turn on for these and will make for a better day out

James01

When fishing for Walleye, and your artificials are not producing, put on a jig and some lively bait. I switch between minnows and leaches depending on the body of water. When its really tough, try a single hook and split shot. Sometimes less is more. Now, for something less facetious...

On the topic of artificials (well, I kind of was), on still hot summer days try fishing shallow and shorelines for walleye. As counter intuitive as it may seem, at times those sun shunning fish are exactly where they should not be.

And, the insulation stores sell for copper pipes is good for protecting your rods. I use it inside both my soft and hard rod cases, to keep the rods from bouncing around and rattling and banging up against each other - especially when travelling rough roads.

• Like 1

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

The_Outdoorsman

After cleaning fish at the lake, grab some pine needles and scrub your hands together. It gets rid of the fishy smell and replaces it with a pine needle scent

• Like 1