• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hookset

From the field to the block.

hookset

I may be twisting some screws here, but I'm wondering your thoughts on what steps you take from the field to the butcher block. I have cut hundreds of moose and deer over the last 13 years. I've seen it all. I've heard it all. What I think is the biggest misconception is that the hide has to come off right away to cool the meat. The hide prtocts the meat, better than cheese cloth could. The hide keeps moisture off the meat, which will spoil big game. The hide keeps the meat from forming a dried out layer which has to be cut off and reduces the yield. As a big game meat cutter I prefer the hide to be removed two to three days prior to being cut. It gives the outer layer time to firm up and dry out a little. That being said, I know this isn't always the case. The biggest spoiler of big game is shot placement. A pefect shot throught the boiler maker and there is nothing to worry about. Once the bullet starts smashing bones, then it gets tricky. Bone fargments cause lots of damage, and from my experiance, meat tends to spoil in the area of the damage. So thats one reason to remove the hide right away. To cut away those damaged areas and get the blood out. The all to dreaded gut shot. You will want to get the hide off the damaged quaters because the bullet pulls all that threw. You will want to clean it all away. Cut out the bullet hole and any other meat that can't be cleaned. Temps play a part as well, but if its kept in the shade and the evening get cool everything should be okay. Something to keep in mind is that what you bring in, is what you get back. Our job is to cut, not to clean. At the begining of the season threw the rush, moose are getting slammed out an hour to an hour and a half. Not much time is spent on picking hairs, rocks, leaves, and twigs.

• Like 1

scandiman

Well said!

Kamhillbilly

I have found the worst shot placement to be shoulder area (exit wound when quartering away shot) , if that happens hide off and separate shoulder off the body to clean out damage and pooled blood . The best care I find keep it clean & cool I don't like eating hair , sand ,leaves & grass . My grand father was a butcher so I was read the riot act on how the animal should look when it was brought in to cut like hookset said they are meat cutters not there to clean .

Thefishleclair

all good points. Im building the meat cooler right away. From cooler to table to freezer.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB