• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Porkchop21

Advice regarding dogs chasing deer

Porkchop21

Hey everyone

I live in the country and having problems with the neighbors 2 dogs always on my property chasing deer. I live on 6 acres and have my trail camera and blind behind my house where I have natural deer trails on. For months now these 2 dogs are always on my property running up and down the trail where the deer roam. I have several pictures of them from the camera. The owner has been told several times to keep her dogs off my property as they are messing up my hunting. I had a nice buck there this morning at 8:40am and 3 minutes later, their are the dogs sniffing. I'm getting pretty sick of this. Anyone ever have this problem before? Do you know if the MNR or OPP would actually do anything or what should I do?

fishingfinn

Depends where you live but check local bylaws on off leash dogs. Also, dogs are not allowed to run at large and harass wildlife as per MNR.

robbo

I love dogs but...rock salt and target loads? Antlers stenciled onto your scope lens? It was coming right for me!? A picture of a clean lung shot to show your neighbour (maybe a bit much)?

Seriously though, during hunting season it's probably best to report wildlife as being actively and knowingly harassed by pets. CO's take their jobs seriously, regardless of the nature of the complaint.

going fishing is okay, going catching is great!

Porkchop21

Thanks guys. I'm gunna give the MNR a call, maybe they can send a CO out and have a chat with her.

eddylives

Purchase a wolf tag

Show it to owner of dogs

Explain how it gives you the right to harvest

a wolf....,how you can purchase a second after

filling the first......

They should get the idea lol

But seriously contact the MNR and show them th

photo evidence and there should be no more problem

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

eddylives

Purchase a wolf tag

Show it to owner of dogs

Explain how it gives you the right to harvest

a wolf....,how you can purchase a second after

filling the first......

They should get the idea lol

But seriously contact the MNR and show them th

photo evidence and there should be no more problem

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Cribby

Go to neighbors tell them what their dogs are doing and to keep them in their yard. After that they should be put down if they are seen doing it again. And I don't mean catch them and take them to humane society.

Mr. Canoehead

That sucks. Maybe if you have hair clippers you could catch one and shave it bald. Then it would be inside for the winter. If it still comes back you can write on it with black magic marker. But seriously I hope the MNR can help you out.

naden

Go to neighbors tell them what their dogs are doing and to keep them in their yard. After that they should be put down if they are seen doing it again. And I don't mean catch them and take them to humane society.

So because the owner is too stupid to take care of their dogs, the dogs should be put down? I hope your joking.

• Like 2

Lyle Reiner

I've seen the mnr shoot dogs for harassing deer. It's highly illegal to harass wildlife, I'd go with the wolf tag idea, do not follow through with it, just scare them a bit.

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Monks

Wow! From wolf tags, to putting dogs down eh!? You mentioned the owner has been told several times. Which I am to assume you spoke with the owner directly. If you have tried to talk to the owner and no result time to involve the authorities.

You go shoot a neighbours dog and the authorities will be visiting you.

Yeah it sucks but take the high road and maybe tell your neighbour your worried about the dogs safety, as you are hunting the area for wolves and deer and would hate for there to be accident?

• Like 1

Adrian

Than there is the story of the little girl next door crying while she was digging a hole in her back yard. The neighbor was watching over the fence and asked what she was doing. She replied "I am burying my pet bird". The neighbor watched for a moment or two, and asked "why are you digging the hole so big?". She looked him in the eye and answered "Because he is in your F-----ing cat!"

There may be a message to the neighbors here????

• Like 1

Gwhunter99

A friend of mine caught a dog in a similar situation. It was released unharmed with a fresh coat of red paint..... Never came back...

Cribby

Naden. what would you suggest? The comment below yours is exactly what will happen, if it is correct. I believe you should start a KEEP YOUR DOGS CHAINED program. If they chase any wildlife it is not right!

And as I suggested, get your foundation started and go talk to the people everyone is complaining about that have dogs chasing wild animals. No matter what they are.

naden

Naden. what would you suggest? The comment below yours is exactly what will happen, if it is correct. I believe you should start a KEEP YOUR DOGS CHAINED program. If they chase any wildlife it is not right!

And as I suggested, get your foundation started and go talk to the people everyone is complaining about that have dogs chasing wild animals. No matter what they are.

My suggestion would be to contact the proper authorities. It is illegal to PERMIT the dog to run at large so it is the owner that is at fault. I would hope that a Conservation Officer would first meet with the owner and issue a fine before destroying the dog. The following is from the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act:

Dog running at large

(3) The owner of a dog or any other person responsible for a dog shall not permit it to run at large,

(a) during the open season for a species of big game in an area prescribed for the purpose of subsection (2); or

(B) during the closed season for a species of big game in an area usually inhabited by that species. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 22, s. 2 (14).

Actually on second thought, my suggestion is way to logical. Im going to go get busy working on that foundation!

• Like 1