• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

BirchPoint2014

need some good boots for hard water fishin

therealfndeal

Hands down muck boots are best boot I have owned light weight and super warm

WalleyeWayne

I can't remember the brand of boots I have (bought them at North Country) but I never have feet issues. No sweating, no cold, no discomfort, etc. I suspect with most people they are buying form-fitting boots (if their running shoes are size 11 - they buy snow boots size 11). When you buy insulated boots, think about how you insulate your home. You don't pack and jam the insulation in, you place it in and give it room to breathe. Your feet need the same thing or it doesn't matter how much insulation you have in them. My suggestion, buy a pair of boots 1 size bigger than normal and wear the same socks you would wear in your running shoes, not the big heavy socks because they cause your feet to sweat, and push your toes to the outer extremes of the boot, which are of course cold. Here's a test - the next time you're on the ice and you feel your toes getting cold, walk around digging your heel in first giving more room for your toes. If you feel your toes starting to feel better and warmer, your boots are too tight!

Lyle Reiner

I bought the muck arctic pros, in one size larger and tested them this weekend, they are comfortable, however the rating of -60 may be a discrepancy. My feet were cold after a few hours on the ice, it was only -10 or so. I'm going to give them another shot this weekend with a thermal insole, as there was no snow to speak of on the ice. Maybe the direct ice contact was the issue?. Failing that, I will be returning them.

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

SherpaJ

Wasn't impressed this weekend

haha Yup! Muck boots surely are light and comfortable, but will always disappoint with warmth. Like I said, love mine for spring/fall, but won't dare wear them if I'll be standing still for any amount of time in below zero weather.

SherpaJ

My suggestion, buy a pair of boots 1 size bigger than normal and wear the same socks you would wear in your running shoes, not the big heavy socks because they cause your feet to sweat, and push your toes to the outer extremes of the boot, which are of course cold. Here's a test - the next time you're on the ice and you feel your toes getting cold, walk around digging your heel in first giving more room for your toes. If you feel your toes starting to feel better and warmer, your boots are too tight!

I will agree with you, given that you are fairly active, walking around and such. But in my experience, having extra room in your boots while you're sitting still (whether it be on the ice or in a tree stand all day) only causes your feet to be colder. I used to always buy boots, like you, a size bigger, but ever since I've started buying proper fitting boots with no spare room in the toes, My toes have stayed considerably warmer. I think it keeps the heat tighter to your body, rather than having to use your body heat to warm up the air surrounding your toes. My two cents.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Thanks for all the feedback after reading this I got those minus 100 Baffin rubber CSA approved boots and a few pairs of nats mitts . Will reply when I test them , all from intercity industrial

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Some Old Guy

Another tip is to buy the felt foot print that sits in the insole if the boot. Then put your liners in. That creates more insulation at the bottom of your foot where 99% of your foot contact to the ice and snow is. Makes a huge difference.

Roger.

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

SherpaJ

Another tip is to buy the felt foot print that sits in the insole if the boot. Then put your liners in. That creates more insulation at the bottom of your foot where 99% of your foot contact to the ice and snow is. Makes a huge difference.

Roger.

I actually just did that with the old felt liners out of an old useless set of rubber boots I found in the closet. The bottom of the foot was wore out, but the leg portion was good to I just cut two footprints out of that. Going to try it tomorrow in the stand.

Previously, I've used cutouts from the white foam trays that you get when you buy fresh chicken, pork, or beef. That worked very well.

Some Old Guy

Nothin like a good case of salmonella foot!

I have even seen cut outs from shag carpet used!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

naden

Best thing you can do with a worn out pair of rubber boots is cut the tops off on an angle and use them as insulated slippers!

I have always had cold feet while hunting or ice fishing. Ive tried light socks, heavy socks, felt insoles, buying a size larger, moisture wicking socks under wool etc etc. The only thing that has worked for me is the -100 rubber baffins. My feet still sweat pretty bad in them but they seem to stay warm anyways. Only thing I dont like about em is they are too big and bulky for a lot of walking.

Ive heard quite a few people like the nats because they are light but I havnt tried a pair yet.

Best thing you can do with a worn out pair of rubber boots is cut the tops off on an angle and use them as insulated slippers!

Dude I go through apair of crocs every winter because I wear them when going out to garage ,I'm making me some rubber slippers now

• Like 1

naden

Yup, me too. worn out crocs on some spilled oil mixed with water on the garage floor and your on your butt pretty quick

• Like 1

Okay update. I got the rubber minus 100 baffin saftey boots 2 sizes bigger than my runners. From intercity industrial as was recommended.

Not sweating at all but noticably warm feet all day. Sled overheated and lost my rod case so i walked a km no problems. Not heavy. Snow pants fit ultra tight over boots. Great buy.