• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Cribby

Temperatures and weather or other that make deer and moose move.

Cribby

My father and I, rest his soul, over the last # of years we we're documenting conditions we had seen deer moving, shot deer or seen in open areas that were odd, also when they moved to new feeding areas. I was wondering if anyone else had done this and what were your findings?

With ours, all big game animals moose and deer, moved heavily just before a storm front or low pressure system was to move in. 24 hours or the night before the front moved in. Also noticed a 12-16 day cycle to stay in one place. Then they would move to different feeding grounds. Has anybody else notice set patterns that make or cause big game to move? Or know reasons why these patterns happen?

I know my last posts got stupid and ended up going not to far the last few days, but lets help other hunters (myself included) understand why our big game animals do what they do, and try to put ourselves in the best places at the right times to be successful.

Regards

Cribby

• Like 1

BirchPoint2014

Over the past month i've been researching on-line animal movement by solunar charts and tables, and bring that information into to the field when i go, scouting as per when the charts/tables as when game are most active through out the time and day, you would be surprised as to how well this information actually helps when out in the field, alot of guys swear by fishing by soluner tables, so i decided to give it a shot, it i was shocked during the times that game where most active, animals where out about feeding basking in the sun was nice to see, according to the charts this weekend is seasons best according to charts, with a new moon happening this weekend animals will have a hard time seeing at night this weekend, and with the weather being nice this weekend and the new moon, they should be out and about basking and feeding

BirchPoint2014

CEO & COO of Birch Point Resort 

Kashabowie, ON

Cribby

I did really notice a lot of deer movement the last two day. I was really expecting a storm to happen, but nothing yet. perhaps just a major change in temp will cause this movement. Also noticed bucks starting to widen their range to look for does. I have noticed this year to have a lot less scrapes and rubs. Was last winter really that hard that that many deer succumb to it?

I have really tried hard to find out why they move just before a storm. My thought is that they move to a new area then the storm happens and normally covers where they went. I know that's not scientific, but haven't found anything to really say different.

SherpaJ

What I have found to be extremely key for both fish and game activity (on top of peak activity at times of rapid changes in barometric pressure) is the moon phase and rise/set times. Increased activity will occur within the 3 days on either side of the full/new moon, with peak activity on the days of. Today's new moon is why you've likely noted more activity the last couple days. More specifically, I've discovered peak times during each day are largely focused within a 90 minute time frame centered around the moon rise and set times. Obviously, same goes for sun rise and set times.

gsambray

As for deer ive always had the best luck in either harvesting or at least seeing them in crappy weather conditions.

Cribby

I try to shoot a dominant buck, unless have nothing very late in season. but I absolutely agree, I have shot my best deer in the crappiest weather. My father and many old timers always said the same. I haven't shot many moose in these conditions, but I only spend the first 2-3 weeks and then focus on deer. I have had great luck for moose on foggy and windy days.