• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Splitshot

Shed traps?

Guest Splitshot

Just wondering if it's legal to setup a deer shed trap in ontario. Can not seem to find information on it.

eyelander

What exactly is a deer shed trap???

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Guest Splitshot

It's a setup using fencing in a m pattern in an area that they feed and as they lean in to feed the antlers get entangled in the fencing and dislodge from the deer. Speeding up the natural process. But it has to be done after the rut ensuring the antlers are already starting to shed

Snowball

>http://youtu.be/ww-Xeqclsrg

Is this it?

Regards,

Snowball

Gwhunter99

Shed traps usually damage the cuticle of the antler. Pulling antlers off that arn't ready to drop. Causing poor or no antler growth the next year.

My 2 cents. Sorry for the buzz kill

TroutHunter

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Guest Splitshot

Ahh yes guess I should have looked a bit further into the threads. Good read. No intent on harming any animals that's for sure. Nice to hear all opinions on this subject. No doubt that natures way is the best way. The bungie cord setup like on the previous thread looks as though the only way the antlers would come off is if they were ready too. Like I said not looking to harm any animals just trying to find an easier way to locate the antlers once they have been shed.

eyelander

Ahhh, OK. Don't think I have ever heard of that before. When I do want sheds, I go out in late winter/early spring to find them in the last of the snow left in the forests. Haven't done that in years though.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Monks

Yes discussed please avoid them. However depending where you are hunting. I hunt now a lot in the Tbay city bow zone. Small tracts of land lots of human and pet interaction. Late winter I take my black lab who I raised chewing on deer antlers and walk him after the season closes. I have found the deer are used to dogs with people and just move along but he then finds their sheds and the deer dont go far. You learn their travel routes and safety areas and he finds the sheds. A good cold December with minimal snowfall is a good time to look for sheds in my other hunting areas outside Tbay city bow zone. Gives deer plenty of time to go back to their routine till next fall. And no bugs or bears in early spring!!! Go looking in the woods will help you out next fall.