• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Munshaw

Steelhead Fishing- Subtlety Please!

Guest Munshaw

Guys,

For those who are uninformed, there has been a longwithstanding rule on the board about posting info. about sensitive fishing locations. There are some new people to the board, and obviously they may not have been aware of this (see JP thread). The North Shore of superior has some FANTASTIC fishing locations, but there's no need to give everyone on the internet the information you've worked hard to get. Its just too easy for someone to jump on here and say "Hey, I don't want your secret spot.... but tell me where to catch steelhead and salmon". The last thing you want is half a dozen people showing up at your spot. And you won't make many friends around here either. Look what its done to S. Ontario.

Talk tactics

Talk about how well you did (or not)

Share pics (no backgrounds)

Leave locations at the door please!

Guest Wes

It always bugs me when people are so tight lipped about fishing areas. I share my spots. But I guess when you start talking about the ways in S. Ont. then a few bells start ringing. Now that I think of it I had a dude park himself within spitting distance from me this spring on river "X". He didn't think there was anything wrong when I asked if he was lonely. Until I casted across his line, reeled it in and cut it! That really pissed me off. I guess I am a little niave about our area since we are a declining population and the steelie angling pressure is not growing by leaps and bounds. I guess with increased success it will.

Admins can go ahead and delete the JP thread of they want. I will edit it right now.

In the future I will keep in mind the content of my posts.

Guest TerryK

I've been berated publicly and privately (both on this forum) for sharing info, however this info was far from specific. If someone asks me where to catch salmon around Thunder Bay I say "Nipigon". EVERYONE knows that's where to catch chinooks. You could ask a homeless guy walking down Cumberland street and he'd give you the same answer. There are two spots on the Nip to catch salmon from shore and everyone knows those as well. As far as detailed info, I'm the same way as others, tight lipped. I have so few "secret" spots that any info I have is irrelevant anyway. lol Unlike others on this forum, I don't have the time nor the means to spend 100 days a year fishing for steelhead. Wish I did though, then I'd actually have some secrets not-to-share.

Don't feel bad Wes, censorship is everywhere!

Guest About Time

I've been berated publicly and privately (both on this forum) for sharing info, however this info was far from specific. If someone asks me where to catch salmon around Thunder Bay I say "Nipigon". EVERYONE knows that's where to catch chinooks. You could ask a homeless guy walking down Cumberland street and he'd give you the same answer. There are two spots on the Nip to catch salmon from shore and everyone knows those as well. As far as detailed info, I'm the same way as others, tight lipped. I have so few "secret" spots that any info I have is irrelevant anyway. lol Unlike others on this forum, I don't have the time nor the means to spend 100 days a year fishing for steelhead. Wish I did though, then I'd actually have some secrets not-to-share.

Don't feel bad Wes, censorship is everywhere!

OK,I gotta jump in here. this might be directed at my previous post..I'm realitively new to Tbay (3 years) and been a member for about that time (was under another name before the crash long ago). I have been fishing for 15 years, and have caught everything from White sharks to perch, but unfortunately, I do not know everything about every fish, or where they hang out. I understand the frustration of having some yahoo pull up right beside you and start casting, but that could happen even if someone doesn't tell them where to go. All they have to see if you standing there all decked out for war, and WHAMMO...

Now, I've posted numerous times on this board, with no responses at all... I'm new to steelhead/trout/salmon, and am always learning. I have been guided by people around tbay, and really appreciate it. I get out there, pick up garbage left behind by others, keep a respectable distance from others, and generally am out there for the fun of fishing.

I understand you wouldn't post your spots for all to see, but c'mon... When someone asks for help, or advice from someone who supposedly knows what he/she is doing, give'm a break, there are MANY spots around here... I',m sure if you head south for some stripers, you would appreciate someone pointing you in the right direction. If you're heading to the east coast near boston, or to Northern Sask, or Southern Ont or Que, I will tell you EXACTLY where to go, park, walk and what to use so you can have some fun too...YES, you may have to repeat your threads or link to an existing thread, but at least try to help..For places like the Nip, it;s a BIG BIG river....

I realize you probably don't care, but there has been many times when I have almost quit the board, simply because people are a like a little gang...I also realize there are hardcore members here, and I appreciate that, but when I talk to good people new to tbay, I ask them if they have checked out this board, almost every answer is "ummmm, no, tried it, but....".....

I apologize if this seems a little harse, and there are some REALLY REALLY good people here. Keep in mind the new guys/gays starting out and wanting to try something new....

and to those hardcore guys, i really like the pics and stories, and it would be great to learn more from you, who knows, you might learn something too.... :D

DC_84

I have to agree... that I don't like to see people where I like to fish... but I have yet to find a

"secret" steelhead spot. If it flows into Lake Superior, chances are it has steelhead and if there are fish up stream then there must be fish down stream... Right?

Dustin

grumpy

This is from Last year

"This is one of the reasons that I feel that there should be some rules around posting locations and areas of interest in fishing. Posting that someone landed 70 fish at an easy access point is sure to send a few anglers out to fish that spot.

Just like B#!*#$ posting about fall steelheading sent a few guys down the shore to target a few fish in very confined spaces. Then there was a very nice picture showing the wier on a very reconizable river. Not everyone lets those fish go. I am sure that someone that read those posts showed up at that weir 2 days latter and killed a few nice bows just because they were easy to catch and they could. Those locals take eveything they can.

As it is right now this board has no rules about posting locations, I would hope that some anglers would use some common sence and not give away the hot spot of the week.

As far as posting information about safe or unsafe ice. I would expect that anyone that lives in this part of the world has enough common sence to know that conditions change on a regular basis and that you cannot beleave what you hear or read. Hows the saying go 99% BULLS!!T. I think that buddy probably told the truth. He fell through the ice at one point, he just left out the fact that he hammered the waldos while he was at it."

Why don't you just hide in the bushes and follow these guys around like you did with me last summer when I did my guiding job? I didn't see a soul all day, but apparently you saw me, according to you. So... just stalk these guys like you did with me and then report if they're telling the truth or not. That way everyone will know what's really going on.

Guest About Time

Why don't you just hide in the bushes and follow these guys around like you did with me last summer when I did my guiding job? I didn't see a soul all day, but apparently you saw me, according to you. So... just stalk these guys like you did with me and then report if they're telling the truth or not. That way everyone will know what's really going on.

To whom are you refering? as far as I know, i was no where NEAR you........ :D

Some Old Guy

Is it spring time? I could have sworn fall is coming on.....

Ever had a Deja-vu?

Ever had a Deja-vu?

:D:D:D

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Big Moose

OK smart guy if you want to sit on yer A$$ and edit all of my fishin pics go right ahead pitter patter get att'er.I don't think that the Nip is a secret spot nor the BSR for that matter and I don't think I personally have posted any of my secret spots and if someone does post a spot then BIG DEAL,I think all the whiners should get together and go fishing get some fish pics of their own,Sit around and pic each other apart because I for one don't care to hear your crap about and I quote"Did you have to kill the bow" And the answer is YES the angler that caught that beauty ate the fish as did I and it was scrumptious wheres the problem if none of it went to waste?It's not like I'm out there slaying brookies and steelies every weekend I fish for everything that swims.So CHEERS to those who post their pics for all to ENJOY and cheers to those who don't.

Have a nice day!

Guest TerryK

About Time: I'm sure that wasn't directed at me but since you quoted me I feel I need to clarify my post a bit. You KNOW how I feel about this subject. Maybe I wasn't clear in my meaning.

I will not hesitate to tell someone where to fish, but I won't go into detail 99% of the time. I know a helping hand from an experienced angler is very much appreciated and I would expect the same if I asked certain people. I know even I sometimes have to ask a friend who is on holidays where the bows are running because I usually only get one day off per week in the spring. I just dong have the time to go exploring. I don't expect anyone to tell me even the river, just a general area.

DC_84 you said it best: I have yet to find a "secret" steelhead spot. If it flows into Lake Superior, chances are it has steelhead and if there are fish up stream then there must be fish down stream... Right?"

Guest Munshaw

Some people seem to think its only locals who check out this board. Last time I checked, there were almost A QUARTER OF A MILLION HITS TO THIS SITE.

And- I'm not talking about the Nip. Everyone and their grandmother knows about the Nip. Its in every major magazine or book publication on brooktrout ever written. References were starting to wander East and West of the Nip to *several* other rivers, some of which can be considered very pressured and/or sensitive locations. The intent of this post was to remind folks to just give some thought before they post a play-by-play of the North Shore's best. There is NOTHING to gain by the poster by listing which rivers they hit and did well at. Asking to keep those kinds of conversations to private messages and/or e-mails is not really asking a lot. Otherwise, the poster is just really spouting off and showing pics for glory, which is their own prerogative I suppose.

Guest About Time

About Time: I'm sure that wasn't directed at me but since you quoted me I feel I need to clarify my post a bit. You KNOW how I feel about this subject. Maybe I wasn't clear in my meaning.

I will not hesitate to tell someone where to fish, but I won't go into detail 99% of the time. I know a helping hand from an experienced angler is very much appreciated and I would expect the same if I asked certain people. I know even I sometimes have to ask a friend who is on holidays where the bows are running because I usually only get one day off per week in the spring. I just dong have the time to go exploring. I don't expect anyone to tell me even the river, just a general area.

DC_84 you said it best: I have yet to find a "secret" steelhead spot. If it flows into Lake Superior, chances are it has steelhead and if there are fish up stream then there must be fish down stream... Right?"

TerryK, nope. not directed at you at all....I just wanted to stress my point that the hardcore guys on this board need to chill a bit.... There are PLENTY of fishing spots on the north shore, and directing a new guy to the general area is not a crime...as DC-84 said, there are no secret spots... you're lucky or not..... it's all about getting out to fish... a fish is a bonus...

AT

Guest Big Moose

And who are you to tell me that I can't share a spot or show a pic or two or mention the name of the TWO most well known rivers around here.Give it a rest, better yet go fish yer spots now before every single fish in the north shore area is gone.Give me a break!!! Like I said if you want to edit all my pics for background give aways Giver hard.

VERY WELL SAID AT

grumpy

Terry, I am sure it was directed at me and as you know I really do not care how pissed off BIG MOOSE gets. Sure he can go an take home as many as he wants, within his limit and everyone can go on and on and post pictures of whatever they want.

I personally hate the dead fish pictures, I much prefer to see something great that I know is going to live and spawn again.

IPB Image

Guest About Time

I don't think that the Nip is a secret spot nor the BSR for that matter and I don't think I personally have posted any of my secret spots and if someone does post a spot then BIG DEAL,I think all the whiners should get together and go fishing get some fish pics of their own,

Have a nice day!

quite a rant, but well said BM!!!

Terry, I am sure it was directed at me and as you know I really do not care how pissed off BIG MOOSE gets. Sure he can go an take home as many as he wants, within his limit and everyone can go on and on and post pictures of whatever they want.

I personally hate the dead fish pictures, I much prefer to see something great that I know is going to live and spawn again.

IPB Image

Grumpy, as i have stated in last posts, I am almost completely C&R... I have NO qualms though, with people who catch and EAT fish...it's the guys who catch, kill and release the fish dead or dying.... what a waste.......

AT

Guest Big Moose

And thats your call your entitled to that.

And for the record I keep one steelie a year for me and my FAMILY to ENJOY a feed.Because we enjoy eating one a year makes me as bad as a poacher in your eyes doesn't bother me none at all I nor anyone else has to answer to your B.S. questions or accusations Maybe I'll take all the pics down that were asked for or better yet maybe Roger can get rid of the gallery all together and maybe block all pics all together would that make you happy.I mean for real the last time I checked this wasn't the THUNDER BAY CATCH AND RELEASE.COM.

Guest TerryK

Wow this is getting juicy! lol

Why don't you guys all show up at the next NSSA meeting his month and we'll discuss it over a beer!!??

Some Old Guy

Ok guys,

I'm enjoying the reading here but can we keep the cussing out of it. I have had to edit some bad words as we have younger people reading to.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Castnblast

Hey everyone, my favorite colour is blue. What's your favorite colour?

cnb

Gone8to1248

Red like the blood in some members eyes over this topic! :D

grumpy

And thats your call your entitled to that.

And for the record I keep one steelie a year for me and my FAMILY to ENJOY a feed.Because we enjoy eating one a year makes me as bad as a poacher in your eyes doesn't bother me none at all I nor anyone else has to answer to your B.S. questions or accusations Maybe I'll take all the pics down that were asked for or better yet maybe Roger can get rid of the gallery all together and maybe block all pics all together would that make you happy.I mean for real the last time I checked this wasn't the THUNDER BAY CATCH AND RELEASE.COM.

A little perinoid, I originally asked if you had to kill the bow. The simple answer would have been no but I wanted to. All this ranting is bull I just took one of my first looks through the gallery and the majority of the shots are of released fish.

Its my opinion that I do not like kill shots. Maybe you should learn to take the picture before you smash it on the head.

Gone8to1248

I'm looking for a guide for one day of fishing next spring! I will pay $5,000.00 and you furnish the boat and tackle. Only one catch. We make the deal on the board here and you post your name.

grumpy

Guys,

For those who are uninformed, there has been a longwithstanding rule on the board about posting info. about sensitive fishing locations. There are some new people to the board, and obviously they may not have been aware of this (see JP thread). The North Shore of superior has some FANTASTIC fishing locations, but there's no need to give everyone on the internet the information you've worked hard to get. Its just too easy for someone to jump on here and say "Hey, I don't want your secret spot.... but tell me where to catch steelhead and salmon". The last thing you want is half a dozen loogans showing up at your spot. And you won't make many friends around here either. Look what its done to S. Ontario.

Talk tactics

Talk about how well you did (or not)

Share pics (no backgrounds)

Leave locations at the door please!

Welcome to the dark side

Guest TerryK

I'm looking for a guide for one day of fishing next spring! I will pay $5,000.00 and you furnish the boat and tackle. Only one catch. We make the deal on the board here and you post your name.

$4000.00 and you bring the boat and tackle and you got yerself a guide ol' boy!! :lol: