• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pbear

Hunting in other Provinces

pbear

I'm on a 5 year plan to go on a hunting trip out of province. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience either caribou hunting or elk hunting in Canada. What are the good and bad things to consider?

Mikeman

I have hunted caribou three times. On two trips we limited out in a six man camp and on one trip we never saw an animal. It is my understanding that the caribou numbers have dropped dramatically so I would do a lot of searching before deciding if it is worth going. It is absolutely a beautiful country to hunt and I would love to go again but the costs are getting a little out of range.

Mike

Cribby

I haven't hunted, but work in Nunavut. The caribou population has dropped slightly is what the inuit are saying. The biggest thing is that you must time your hunt when the herd are moving through the area you are hunting. Personally I would book with a guide that has many camps and will move you to where the caribou are spotted. As for trophy size, I understand that Quebec has the larger animal. I have seen huge bulls where I work in Nunavut but they are not as plentiful as they are in Quebec, so The other people I have talked to.

Good luck if you decide to go. Its a beautiful country to see. I guarantee it is something that most people will see in their life.

pbear

Thanks for the input. Like I say...its a five year plan. I'm not sure if it's realistic to go with an outfitter if the costs are huge for caribou, but maybe go unguided in Alberta for elk if that's an option. I know someone who now hunts there for elk but takes a mountain bike deep into the mountains and pulls out the animal on a bike trailer. It's a crapshoot trying to get a tag for that particular year. But...here's hoping.

Iron Ranger

I'm on a 5 year plan to go on a hunting trip out of province. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience either caribou hunting or elk hunting in Canada. What are the good and bad things to consider?

I have hunted in British Columbia and Alberta several times over the years. It will be tough if you do a DIY hunt. I recommend a guide highly. Check out the outfitters and do your research. Call the references supplied by the outfitter and check with the province BBB and the guide association. Research, research........... and ask ton's of questions. BC lets anyone be a outfitter or guide. I have heard horror stories of bad outfitters and guides. Best of luck and it is some great country to behold.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

pbear

I have hunted in British Columbia and Alberta several times over the years. It will be tough if you do a DIY hunt. I recommend a guide highly. Check out the outfitters and do your research. Call the references supplied by the outfitter and check with the province BBB and the guide association. Research, research........... and ask ton's of questions. BC lets anyone be a outfitter or guide. I have heard horror stories of bad outfitters and guides. Best of luck and it is some great country to behold.

Thanks. Good advice. Can't wait to break it to the wife that I'm taking off for a few weeks. :)

Iron Ranger

Thanks. Good advice. Can't wait to break it to the wife that I'm taking off for a few weeks. :)

If you have a blessing by your wife, go for it, make it your mission. Just do ton's of research with several outfitters and ask for references. Read between the lines with your references. Sub caliber BC outfitters are notorious for a of lack scruples. Do your homework!!!

I have had a great time and some excellent times in the Cassiars area of BC. It's not cheap.

Hell, if you book a trip up there, let me know, I would love to be there also.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon.

Monks

Manitoba has some excellent Caribou hunting. Moose hunting is very good as well. Duck and Goose hunting some of the best.

Kaptain Kirk

I have Hunted in Alberta , Saskatchewan and the State of Montana, and I would recommend Alberta, as there big Hunting is the Best i have ever had. They Have The animals and the opportunity of Getting Tags, The two others are very hard to get tags,

pbear

I'm looking into hunting in Alberta. The price is reasonable for tags and when you hunt with a resident you have an opportunity for many different big game animals. Thanks for everyone's input.

fishman1

I have hunted and fished quite extensively.africa twice, and many many times out west.

Unless you have extensive knowledge of an area, or have someone to show ou around, you're first trip will be nothing more than a search info gathering trip.

In my experience, I have found that spending the extra and hiring a guide is invaluable. They WILL put you on game and fish.

The western provinces have vast land, and you will spend too much time searching without a guide.

I once went fully guided on a steelhead trip to northern b.c.

What the outfitter learned in his lifetime, ( spots) I learned in 1 week. Exact spots, trees rocks runs etc, that consistently produce fish.

Now when I return with my friends, I know exactly where to fish, access points, out of the way rivers. Where to fish in high and low water.

In the end, you get what you pay for.

It is much different in BC as the rivers are 20-30-40-50 miles long, not like in Thunder Bay where they tend to be only a few kilometres of fish holding water. It is totally different.

And guides have all the necessary equipment to get you and your game to and out of the bush.