• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Benji

Equipment survey

Benji

What kind of rod and reel do you use ? Why do you use it ? Favourite lure ?

I use ice rods primarily because they are easy to transport and have less risk of taking out someone's eyes and are easier to handle on a dock. I prefer to use small jig heads and live bait as I mostly fish for perch and rock bass.

If you have a secret bait you dong need to share

Trevor Zimak

These are about half the setups around my boat but I have three of each setups:

7'3'' NRX Loomis

2500 Shimano Stella FE

Plastics: Casting distance and over handling of fish is absolutely cadillac with these setups. Can feel the jig touch a blade of grass and and lost very few fish due to smoothness of drag.

6'10" Shimano Expride and Cumulus

2500 Shimano Rarenium Ci4+ or

1000 Shimano Stradic Ci4+

Finesse outfits: Mainly used these guys for off shore structure and fishing finesse techniques deep.

7'2" Shimano Cumura (Casting)

Shimano Core 100MG and Curado I

Usually MH action. Excellent jerkbait and topwater outfits. Lots of power and gear ratios on reels are quick.

Lyle Reiner

I have;

G Loomis GL3

Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500

PowerPro Super slick

Sunline Super Fluro

This is my plastics combo, mainly my senko setup. I love the feel and casting ability this setup gives me, enough backbone with a fast enough tip to set the hook.

G Loomis Walleye Jigging Rod

Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500

PowerPro Super slick

Sunline Super Fluro

Great jig rod for Walleye obviously lol. I can feel the jig touch each individual rock, when the Minnow kicks even. Lots of power and backbone for bigger fish

G Loomis IMX

Shimano Stradic FJ 1000

PowerPro Super slick

Sunline finesse fc fluro

Super light combo. Balances perfect. I use it for light weight finesse jigging for bass or when the eyes' are being picky and I need to go light.

G Loomis GL2 DSR

Shimano Stradic Fi 2500

PowerPro Super slick

Sunline Super Fluro

This is my drop shot rod/shakey head rod. Medium power rod with a mod fast tip. Loads up quick when I get a good bite but very sensitive to light bites.

G Loomis BronzeBack series Jerkbait rod

Abu Garcia BlackMax

PowerPro Super Slick

Sunline Super MONO

This rod is great. Probably my favourite casting outfit. I use it to fish jerk baits (I love jerkbaits). Anything from X raps to Shadows and Flukes.

I also love this rod for top water baits.

G Loomis BronzeBack series Smallmouth Jig rod

Abu Garcia Orra

PowerPro Super slick

Sunline Reaction Fc

This rod is great for cranks, heavy jigs, trolling, spinnerbaits, and pretty much everything else that needs a bigger rod with more power.

G Loomis crankbait series

Abu Garcia Revo S

PowerPro Super slick

Sunline Reaction Fc

Great all around lighter rod. I use it for spinnerbaits, square bills, trolling cranks and walleye spinner rigs.

I'm kinda brand loyal as you can tell lol

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest Wetlinetightline

Fenwick eagle gt 6' 6 with Abu garcia revo s

Rapala magnum 7' Abu garcia soron sx

Shimano Clarius 8' 6 rapala reel forget the model

Fenwick 10 6 with a r type centerpin

Raven Matrix 12 6 also r type centerpin

And various other rods ND reels

Fishbum

My 7' ugly stick pair with a Mitchell 2500 reel and 8 kb trilene mono give me the strength I need it when it counts, the casting ability of a longer rod , and the versatility of $3000 is gear but for the price of one :)

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Fenwick eagle gt 6'6 medium two piece

Fenwick eagle gt 6'6 medium fast one piece

St Croix triumph 9' medium light

Fenwick hmx 9' medium

Redington crosswater 9' 6wt

Allen Compass 9' 8 wt

Shimano Clarus 7' casting heavy

Fenwick walleye classic 6'6 medium heavy

Custom 7'6 medium heavy made on an mhx blank by fellow member Bernie.

Couple black ice, St Croix ice rods

Many other entry level rods, shimanos, ugly sticks that never see use. And then there are they broken rods that need fixing.

Various reels from Stradic ci4 to pfleuger presidents and fly reels from Ross, redington, and okuma. I find I barely spend money on spinning or casting gear since taking up fly fishing.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

I Use a few abu garcia veritas spinning rods with revo 1000 or stradic ci4 reels for lighter stuff. These rods are plenty sensitive but fairly rigid compared to other brands of same rating. I find I can feel the lure better with these stiff poles and as they don't load up much from lure weight . And the small reels drag is smooth enough to run 4-6 lb test no problem

Then I have 3 Shimano compre rods paired with revo reels. The Compre's have a way lighter tip then the abu rods. So they load up nice for casting. And the fast tip keeps those small crank bait treble, drop shot or crawler harness hooks from ripping out.

my ultralight jigging rod is actually only a 60$ Mitchell advocet combo and it accounts for a lot of my walleye. I love that thing. Makes the other jigging rods feel like pool cue.

The worst purchase was a quantum optix combo for my wife. Worst drag ever.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Trevor Zimak

NO... the worst drag ever is bringing the wife in the boat. ^^ lol

• Like 1

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

:smiley-laughing025::smiley-laughing025::smiley-laughing025:

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

WalleyeWayne

I have nothing that Zimmers & Lyle have! My son has a Chronarch/Clarius combination but after that we were bargain shopping.

Lyle Reiner

Quality equipment doesn't make you a better angler. It just helps you feel the bite, and pick up the lighter biting fish. Also the lightness of the equipment reduces fatigue.

Smitty, don't kid yourself, you've got some pretty great equipment!

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

James01

What I have are rods with lifetime warranties... I have replaced all my rods at least once. I pay a little more (like some of the people that posted before me), but in the end it has been worth it.

My preference is St.Croix and Fenwick, followed by GLoomis and Shimano.

As far as reels go, I like my Curado baitcaster but my heavier baitcasters are all Abu's (Big PIke and Musky gear). My bottom bouncer set up is also an Abu - but only because I already had it when I decided I 'needed' a bottom bouncing set up. I like Quantum spinning reels... that being said, I just ordered a new Daiwa spinnig reel a few minutes ago. I am excited to try it out opening weekend.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

BenjisGrandpa

I have 2 ugly sticks, and I catch a limit everywhere I go :) must suck to empty the bank account for the same outcome as me

Benji

Yah .... Why does gram tell me not to bring you fishing ?

gsambray

St. Croix fly rod possibly almost as old as me and a ugly stick with Abu Garcia spinning reel. I like the ugly stick cause of durability for going into hard to get to lakes. But I have tried some higher end stuff but always fall back on the old ugly stick

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

The ugly stick is an absolute tank. Way too heavy for my liking. I could never go back to an ugly stick.

hookset

Main rod is a Fenwick 7' with a daiwa reel. My brookie buster (when not tossing a fly) is a 5' ultra light with a mitchell reel. I fish with a jig head, or just a plain hook and egg sinker.

Lyle Reiner

BenjisGrandpa. Youre right, you probably can catch just as many fish as me on some days. Where the high end rods shine is when the bite is light and the fish aren't biting aggressively. Everyone has their preference!

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Monks

I really Like the Abu Garcia Veritas rods as well. At a price point of $99 you really are getting an extremely lightweight super sensitive rod. I have a variety of these in different lengths and and such. I also was given a couple Abu Garcia Vendetta rods, Abu's one model lower than the Veritas. Also a nice rod at a better price depending on your budget. My other two favorite rods are a couple of 7 ft berkley series one rods, I buy them whenever I find them and although not made anymore still one of my favorite. So if anyone has any Berkley Series One rods they want to unload, let me know.

For reels I have been using Quantum reels since I dont remeber when. The PT series is a great mid range and mid priced reel that is often on sale for a great deal on the years previous model, I have a bunch of them and really like them. Last year I was provided with the Smoke series of spinning reels and baitcasters. They are really nice reels and light weight. The baitcasters I really like.

I still have an Ugly Stick kicking around somewhere, but its used for things... other than beating up on fish ;).

Trevor Zimak

I have 2 ugly sticks, and I catch a limit everywhere I go :) must suck to empty the bank account for the same outcome as me

lol

So we will see you at G-town? Anybody who is THAT good surely should enter some tournaments and make some cash at it. With confidence like that, it sounds like you would certainly be adding to the bank account then.

BenjisGrandpa

No you wont see me at "G-TOWN". As I am not a first responder, I avoid things like that in case some "professional fisherman" falls out of their boat and cuts their leg. Bet your 5000$ worth of rods sure paid off their eh PAL

BenjisGrandpa

Not only can I show you how to fish, but I could probly lend a few tips on how to drive a boat

flybum

Easy there gramps, you're talking a big game, fella! Anybody can catch fish on an ugly stick, but technique specific, heavy action, light action, being ethical etc cannot be done with 2 ugly sticks.

Congrats, you catch fish with your ugly stick. Native Americans caught fish with sticks(not ugly ones)for years as well. If you're looking for a medal, you're in the wrong spot.

Most gear, as mentioned above are/is used by people who enjoy and appreciate the act of fishing and doing certain techniques as they're intended to be done.

I've never met Trevor, but I've read his name and seen his picture online and in the papers substantially more than yours. Some are more accomplished than others... I'm just saying.

• Like 1