• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Little John

Size of Walleye/Pickeral

Guest Little John

I keep hearing of big walleye being caught in lakes and rivers around here. The biggest I have ever caught was around 9.5 pounds at 30 inches. Some people say they catch 16 and 17 pounds. I never see a picture or they didn't measure it. If I ever caught one that big I would be snapping pictures like crazy and taking measurements and would get it mounted. The pictures I do see of 13 and 14 pound walleye don't look like they are. Have any of you caught ones over ten pounds? John.

RatherBeFishin

31.5 " by 16" girth. My personal best !!

post-1233-0-06299600-1431441183_thumb.jp

post-1233-0-82186300-1431441206_thumb.jp

CoryCo

Lots of guys don't take into consideration the girth of fish. They'll automatically assume a 30" fish is 10lbs.

spindilla1

I've seen few right at current river being caught well over 10lbs. Personally in NWO I haven't caught one over 10 lbs but when ever I fish Erie or Quinte its really common. Erie fish look like they are all over 10 even if they aren't because of their length. Personally I haven't snapped any pictures because I was fishing alone or wanted to get it back really fast. Maybe when I get home Ill snap a pic of the 16 lber on my wall I got from erie when I get home and post it up here.

Quick google search will show you how long erie walleyes are, in comparison to NWO eyes they are way fatter up here hence why they don't look as big.

Zackcorbin1401

My Biggest walleye is only 27" it was about 7.5lbs

Guest vida26

I caught these two monsters in May long 2009. same day, 10lb(29") and 14lb(33.5"), that really makes me mad when people ask how long they were and then say my 29 incher isn't 10lb, just because its not 30"+, same thing with the 14lber. This was probably the best fishing day in my life!

post-1924-0-04597800-1431444579_thumb.jp

post-1924-0-33588000-1431444600_thumb.jp

manthew

Hogs man. Nice fish for sure. And I would say that a 30 inch can be anywhere from 7-12lbs depending on its girth and time of year.

mad scientist

Biggest one I've had my hands on locally was 75cm (29 1/2 inches) and weighed 7100g (15.6 pounds).

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3

Benji

Hey mad scientist that's crazy big. Where'd she come from ?

Some Old Guy

My longest walleye ever was 36.25 inches. Never weighed or girth measurement taken.

I have been very close to 15 lbs on three walleye in my lifetime but haven't cracked 15 lbs. These three were 34, 34.5 and 34.75 inches. The 36.25 inch walleye didn't even come close to the girth of the other three. She was thin for her length and if I had to guess she might have reached 13.25 to 13.5 lbs.

Vida, Very nice walleye. I have seen 29 inch fish go 10 lbs many times, about as many fish that are 31 inches go 9 lbs!!

Mad Scientist...... That walleye must have had a girth as around as it was long!!!!! Must have been a soccer ball!!

I'll take this moment to climb up onto my pedestal. Large walleye are in my opinion our most valuable resource. Let's keep them around! Practice catch photo and release with them. And when...... WTF? Ok........ Monks just pushed me off the pedestal.........

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Lots of people think they are good at estimating fish weights but infact are terrible at it.Vida, awesome fish. I would be hard pressed to call either of those fish 14 lbs. A 14 lb fish is huge. I just can't see it...Either way, beauty fish.

fishman1

My longest walleye ever was 36.25 inches. Never weighed or girth measurement taken.

I have been very close to 15 lbs on three walleye in my lifetime but haven't cracked 15 lbs. These three were 34, 34.5 and 34.75 inches. The 36.25 inch walleye didn't even come close to the girth of the other three. She was thin for her length and if I had to guess she might have reached 13.25 to 13.5 lbs.

Vida, Very nice walleye. I have seen 29 inch fish go 10 lbs many times, about as many fish that are 31 inches go 9 lbs!!

Mad Scientist...... That walleye must have had a girth as around as it was long!!!!! Must have been a soccer ball!!

I'll take this moment to climb up onto my pedestal. Large walleye are in my opinion our most valuable resource. Let's keep them around! Practice catch photo and release with them. And when...... WTF? Ok........ Monks just pushed me off the pedestal.........

Roger

just curious roger, why do you say big walleye are our most valuable resourse?

spindilla1

Not my place to add but everywhere else in Canada people know NWO as the walleye capital. Lac seul being one of the places known as walleye capital of the world.

Check this out http://www.walleyeheaven.com/ How many of the "hot spots" are in NWO?

Some Old Guy

Like I said, In my opinion. To me they represent the best of the gene pool.

Some people love catching big bass, big lakers, big specks, big muskie, I love catching big walleye.

Roger

• Like 1

arvey

first off i'm not disputing with anybody on what size their fish are. here's some formulas that come very close to what weight really is of a walleye. if the fish weighs 15 lbs. and was 29.5 inches long it would need a 20 in girth maybe a little more. girth x girth x length divide by 800 comes out to 14.75 . the other method is length x length x length divide by 2700 and the weight comes out to around 9.5 give that fish a 16 inch girth and do the first formula and you get 9.4 lbs. here's some other formulas for other species

bass length x length x girth divide by 1200

northern length x length x length divide by 3500

all trout and salmon girth x girth x length divide by 800

i'm not saying this is bang on but it will put you very close , digital scales are not always right on and what I found with one that I owned as the weight was heavier the more it was out .

al

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

in my mind 12 to maybe 13 is doable without it being an ugly fish , still have typical proportions.
basically...look like vidas fish.

anything over that and that fish better have a gut. like wrap around your fingers fat. whether it be full of eggs or just a pig

like so
518e2239-c6f9-465d-abc0-71762b30adbe.jpg

18527930-dcec-4d89-87b8-bbd4810b11e6.jpg

these 2 above examples are what a 13-15lb fish looks
like in my head anyways. (aren't my pics)

I have never landed a fish in the teens but from what i've seen around the 10lb mark a walleye would need a serious eating disorder to get 5 lbs bigger.

and in my little world a 15+ walleye isnt the best of the gene pool like roger stated but rather just an arrogant douce bag of a fish with a mild glandualar defect or thyroid issue. and basically a freak . not something inherited or needing to be preserved.

in my opinion all those slender pretty 28-33 inch fish are the prime specimens.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Some Old Guy

Ahhh little do we know the history of where these big fish came from. A 15 pound fish wasn't born a 15 pound fish. They were once those "slender pretty 28-33 inch prime specimens." And to get that big I guess ya gotta be a "D-Bag"!

Odds are where these big fish are coming from were once the great genetic specimens that came from BB!

Roger

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

If you post a pic of a fish and ask people to guess the weight you will get tons of very different answers. I also see a 14 lb fish the same way stud does. I would estimate vidas fish (solely off the picture) I would guess around 7-9 lbs. I think I'd feel a bit generous going 10. They are very beautiful healthy fish and could get much bigger.

Some Old Guy

And guts they had! Also I have noticed that they get huge lips and "shoulders" that hump up their backs right behind their head.

They do look like freaks.

Roger

• Like 1

Bottom Bouncer

I caught a 29 7/8" walleye on Shebs and it weighted 7lbs 6oz and it was accurate.

REELBAIT

mitch biloski

vida theirs is no way in hell that one fish is 14lbs sorry. Id say max 8lbs. no 14.

SB225

agreed, but what story teller would underestimate there fish in a fish story?

• Like 2

Lyle Reiner

I caught one on Rainy lake. 25 inch fish. And she was fat! Tipped the scales at close to 9lbs. I couldn't put my hand around her belly

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

fishman1

Like I said, In my opinion. To me they represent the best of the gene pool.

Some people love catching big bass, big lakers, big specks, big muskie, I love catching big walleye.

Roger

thanks for the reply.

fishman1

vida theirs is no way in hell that one fish is 14lbs sorry. Id say max 8lbs. no 14.

everyone knows that fishermen are allowed 10 percent b.s exaggeration on their catches. But not 30 percent.
  • Like 1