• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

JohnZ

Boat's left at lakes.

JohnZ

What are your thoughts on using boats that have been left at a lake? I see many around lakes when I'm out and figure people other than the owners must be using them.

eddylives

Be respectful of others property and its all good.

Not like the jackaninny running around sinking every boat in the lake they find them at........or the axe man destroying them in certain areas

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

RatherBeFishin

If its not locked up i say have at er.

• Like 2

RickS

I must be getting conservative in my old age but I think this one is a no-no unless you have the owner's permission (I'm assuming that leaving boats at landings is not a violation of MNR rules). If that same boat is left unattended in my yard, is it OK for you to come by, load it up, and take it out for a couple hours to fish without my permission? I don't think the fact that it was left in a place where it is easy to use means it is OK for anyone to use it. If that is the case, I think I will stop parking my car in parking lots.

• Like 1

speckmaster

If you borrow someone's boat and they show up, they are going to be pretty annoyed. Are you looking for a confrontation? I'm not.

• Like 2

Adrian

I actually surprised and quite disappointed to read some on this site actually think it is ok to use someone else's boat without permission. We seem to have lost the sense of respect for others property. It is simple theft. If you want to fish a remote lake, drag a boat in and use it. I believe to have a boat cache, you need an MNR permit. Respect for the property of others and that of all of us (crown land) is sadly being lost and we are seeing it more every day. Just look at Sandstone Lake on the long weekend, pick any camp site and walk a few feet into the bush, look at the Timmy cups and McDonalds wrappers on the highway. We all need a little wake up call, and respect what others have done for themselves and do something for yourself.

• Like 1

Guest fish9876

I had a boat Axed about 15 years ago. I have a canoe in a stocked lake and im POSITIVE that another group of people use it (i found line with a single hook and split shots in it). Im ok with people using it bcuz its my property that I left on public land in an area that i dont need a permit to do so. Its not illegal to use a boat thats left on public land. Whoever has been using my old beater $120 canoe if youre reading this I would like to say thank you for not mistreating it and for not stealing any of the 3 paddles that I leave underneath it. Keep using it if you like bcuz I truly dont mind because I know how it feels to walk up to a boat and see it with dozen of axe holes in it. Theres not many people that fish that L shaped stocked (brook trout) lake and Im not even sure how you found my canoe as I went out of my way to stash and hide it. FAIR GAME. It could always be worse.

#One

It's crown land and therefore is considered litter or abandoned property. It's a privilege not a right to leave boats on crown land. If it's there for others to enjoy chances are people will be respectful and put it back properly if they choose to use it.

I have never used the boats left at lakes as I have my own small boat I bring in. But I could see people getting annoyed as lakes like Lilly west of Kashabowie have so many boats chained up you can barely turn around your trailer to put the boat in.

Walleye Man

RickS

Seems to me the answer to this one is that if it isn't your boat, you should not use it without permission of the owner regardless of whether the boat is lawfully left on Crown land or not.

#one says it is a privilege, not a right, to leave a boat on crown land. If the privilege to leave a boat has been granted, then using that boat is stealing. If the privilege has not been granted and you use the boat, then it seems to me you are then responsible for littering/abandoning (assuming of course that you put the boat back).

j.klister

If you drag a boat in, you should drag it out too and not leave your litter out in the forest, lol.

That being said I've walked into a lot of the remote stocked speck lakes (I have a pimp inflatable pack raft that I bring with me so I always have a boat) and I am more surprised when there isn't a boat than when there is. There is one set of lakes on top of a mountain in Devon township where I still have no idea how someone got a boat in there except flying it in during the winter when you could land on the lake with skis.

Guest Derrick T

Any one who leaves a boat on the side of a lake should be prepared to have someone use/ steal it . It's gunna sit there till the owner dies then it's considered garbage and it rots. Its litter plain and simple. and weighs alot more then the timmys cups were allways whining about.

Boats are to use not to look at on the side of a lake . Ill use any boat I find on a lake , saves me the hassle of bringing one in and if ur there when I get back all pissed off then too f.u-c$kin bad . I was obviously up earlier then u to get to the boat quicker.

brookiebuster

Personally I think if it's not locked up and you use it and return it where you found it and how you found it there's nothing wrong with it.

• Like 3

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Some Old Guy

Boat Cache

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

fisherdude

Everyone I know that has boats leaves them unlocked and anyone can use them and they have no problem with that. If they're locked up it jus asks for holes, one of my buddy's jus had a bunch of boats and there whole campsite shot up sometime right after May long.... Some people

naden

I have two boats cached at lakes in the kashabowie area, one is locked, one isnt. I always figured I wouldnt lock the one because it is fairly remote and I dont care if anyone uses it as long as it gets put back. Apparently I should have locked the seats to it though because someone stole the brand new seats and clamp on mounts.

JohnZ

Seems like opinions are going both ways pretty evenly on this one. Keep the replies coming and keep in mind my scenario is someone using the boat and putting it back in the condition it was before they used it.

The reason I ask is because the lake I tend to go to has 6 boats left there, 2 have been there over a year and 4 are fresh since the walleye opener... I wish I knew the owners so I could get their permission to use one haha.

speckmaster

To all the people that say use the boats...what if kids are around? Either with the guy who's "borrowing " someone's boat or with the guy that the boat belongs to. Do you really want to ruin a kid's day? Or have them around during an argument?

RatherBeFishin

If someone took my boat i left i wouldnt get in an argument with them cause i left it unlocked assuming someone may possibly use it also. If i didnt want someone to use it i would lock it.

AmateurHourAngling

I had a boat Axed about 15 years ago. I have a canoe in a stocked lake and im POSITIVE that another group of people use it (i found line with a single hook and split shots in it). Im ok with people using it bcuz its my property that I left on public land in an area that i dont need a permit to do so. Its not illegal to use a boat thats left on public land. Whoever has been using my old beater $120 canoe if youre reading this I would like to say thank you for not mistreating it and for not stealing any of the 3 paddles that I leave underneath it. Keep using it if you like bcuz I truly dont mind because I know how it feels to walk up to a boat and see it with dozen of axe holes in it. Theres not many people that fish that L shaped stocked (brook trout) lake and Im not even sure how you found my canoe as I went out of my way to stash and hide it. FAIR GAME. It could always be worse.

Is it stashed by a small stocked speck lake

-JADEN

levi64

I leave mine unlocked, if someone wants to use them go ahead, just put them back in the same spot and with the oars. I would only ask that you don't go across the lake or out of site of the area the boats are stached, cause I'd be pizzzed off if I came to fish and I couldn't wave you in. I think thats fair. Not everyone can or has a boat they can stash in a hard to get into lake. In 6 years I've only had one boat stolen none destroyed and they all have been used by someone at some point in time through the season, always put back in place and a few times left with a couple of beers under the boat, I don't know why anyone would take it, it was there to use. Must have had a hell of a time getting it out. I think thats the risk of leaving one in the bush, not too many azzhles out there fishing but I guess once in awhile one wanders through. I think if you but a lock on a bush boat you are asking for trouble, just my two cents.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Use the boat. Stay in view of the boat cache area. Respect the boat. Bring a few cold ones to leave under the boat, or a couple packs of jigs or some lures. Some sort of thank you.

Guest dbryce19

Words from a friend with the mnr if you leave your boat at a lake it's fair game for aanyone to use. Your actually not allowed to chain them up, and apparently mnr used to axe chained up boats.

This is what I'm told.

My personal opinion is, yea I'll borrow your boat Nd I'll return it in the same shape and place I got it from.

There's 11 boats chained up at heaven lake right now. And IMO it's kind of a shitty sight. Not that I need to use them, just the fact.

fishman1

I have boats in the district. Some are chained , some are not.

It makes things so much easier at hard to reach lakes, and my father can't carry anymore.

The boat is chained for a reason. Because its mine, and I want it there when I go fishing.

I would be very upset if I were to drive for a few hours to find someone has cut my lock and has ruined my day.

Use the unchained boat beside it. Better yet, bring our own.

I don't go to your house, break into your truck, and use IT for the day.

• Like 1

j.klister

I think a more correct car analogy is what you would expect to happen if you kept your car parked for months in a no parking zone. Someone might not use it but would you expect it to still be there when you got back?

Side of a lake on public land isn't the same as your garage.

• Like 2