• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

JohnZ

Boat's left at lakes.

fisherdude

How have you not seen spots hogged all summer?

therealfndeal

Camp 1 , weatherall , parks are some more I can think of but most of the campers there have additions built on them

fishman1

The campers at athelstaine are no longer there for extended periods. I fish there regularly, and see the m.n r checking.

And it is only 10 days there, not 21

Perhaps other lakes have campers spending extended periods. I do not know of such cases. But simply notify the MNR of such matters.

As a matter of fact, the campers have to be occupied at night, and not left vacant overnight.

It does get to be frustrating to see these camp hogs.

joks

Kabigon Lake is bad with a couple of fifth wheels parked right at the vehicle turn around. Almost have to back in right from the road since they have their lawn chairs

and firewood spread all over the place. Seems they are there all summer

SB225

Kabigon Lake is bad with a couple of fifth wheels parked right at the vehicle turn around. Almost have to back in right from the road since they have their lawn chairs

and firewood spread all over the place. Seems they are there all summer

ive had to unhook my boat trailer and turn it around by hand there, luckily it was just the 14

RH.

i can't believe what you have written, there is a 21 day crown land max stay for camping that the ministry enforces now.

Or you can simply phone them and they will post or tow the unit. This has been the law for several years.

In this i me, I have NOT seen unattended campers etc left at campsites to hold the spot.

Can you tell the board where ou have seen units left for 3-4 months at a time??????

There is a group that leaves their big trailer at stewart lake in the same spot all summer long

scandiman

I'm gonna chime in on this one. I had a canoe stashed out a lake for quite some time and I know people had used it while I was not there. I certainly have no issue with it having been used, as it was returned in the same condition as I had left it.

In fact, I hope those persons caught more fish because of having been able to use it.

When it comes down to it, if you leave a boat/canoe sitting out at a lake on crown land, not only are people going to uitlize it, but the chances of it being stolen are definitely there (some people just have no respect for others property).

If you wouldn't want anyone using your property then why would you ever think of leaving it at a public lake unattended and expect that to happen?!

• Like 1

Melinda

They left a camper a white Lily lake for almost a year then it got burnt up just recently.  

• Thanks 1

Bobber Down

Melinda, this is a 6 year old thread. Interesting but a lot has probably changed and no longer relevant. Best to start a new post to get up to date info. on camping spots re: campers and boats left at lakes.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

rceme74

We used to leave our old punt at a lake. It was never locked up and We know it was used, but it was always put back in the same place and secured. My Dad and I would fish in May and Sept  for a weeks trip each time. One time we went in and someone had painted the boat and replaced the old oar locks and put in a new oar.  But back in those days people had respect for others property. 

forkhorn

If its left on crown land it fair game... I don't think its disrespectful or ignorant to use a cached boat. People now a days are to entitled.... if you are leaving a boat assume someone is going to use it. If you don't want people touching your stuff haul the damn boat out. Obviously you need to respect others property when using it. I used to leave a boat and motor at a lake almost all year. People used it(I believe it was tree planters). Someone even topped up the tank one weekend. I used it each night after work for a few hours during the weekdays.

I don't understand locking up boats 4' from the launch area.... That's just ignorant and lazy. 

Fishog
4 hours ago, forkhorn said:

If its left on crown land it fair game... I don't think its disrespectful or ignorant to use a cached boat. People now a days are to entitled.... if you are leaving a boat assume someone is going to use it. If you don't want people touching your stuff haul the damn boat out. Obviously you need to respect others property when using it. I used to leave a boat and motor at a lake almost all year. People used it(I believe it was tree planters). Someone even topped up the tank one weekend. I used it each night after work for a few hours during the weekdays.

I don't understand locking up boats 4' from the launch area.... That's just ignorant and lazy. 

I totally disagree. If it does not belong to you ask to use it. Just don't assume someone does not mind. Many years ago camping at Nelson Lake. Decided to come back into town for a night to stock up and return the next day. Found out the Fireman Fish Derby was going on while I was gone. They decided to unfold my awning and use it as a rain shelter. They left it up all night and the strong winds ripped it off my trailer. Ended up costing me two grand to get repaired. If its not yours keep your F-ing hands off. 

forkhorn
53 minutes ago, Fishog said:

I totally disagree. If it does not belong to you ask to use it. Just don't assume someone does not mind. Many years ago camping at Nelson Lake. Decided to come back into town for a night to stock up and return the next day. Found out the Fireman Fish Derby was going on while I was gone. They decided to unfold my awning and use it as a rain shelter. They left it up all night and the strong winds ripped it off my trailer. Ended up costing me two grand to get repaired. If its not yours keep your F-ing hands off. 

I guess you would have have saved yourself 2 g's if you would have taken it home.. Risk vs Reward.... I guess your risk of leaving it there didn't pay off.  Same as a boat... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Fishog
21 minutes ago, forkhorn said:

I guess you would have have saved yourself 2 g's if you would have taken it home.. Risk vs Reward.... I guess your risk of leaving it there didn't pay off.  Same as a boat... 

Wow are you serious? Guess we grew up in a different generation. I was taught not to touch other peoples things without asking permission. Guess this is why we live in a world of "cancel culture" as most (Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y, and Gen Z) never had role models to teach them right from wrong. 

• Like 2

fishman1
2 hours ago, Fishog said:

So you left your camper there while you were not there?

that’s why it’s against the law now!

so people like you don’t leave campers while unattended and therefore hogging a campsite?

if it weren’t for people like you, the MNR wouldn’t have had to make a law against this type of crap!

kudos to the firemen!

Feldwebel Wolfenstool
5 minutes ago, fishman1 said:

Fish- hog, yes the name suits u!

What sort of timeline would you allow before someone else's goods become the property of anyone who happens by?  Like, what's the shortest time allowable?  The 4 hours I'm away from camp when I'm up at Pringle?  Or do I get a full 24 hour day?

• Haha 2

Fishog
2 hours ago, fishman1 said:

So you left your camper there while you were not there?

that’s why it’s against the law now!

so people like you don’t leave campers while unattended and therefore hogging a campsite?

if it weren’t for people like you, the MNR wouldn’t have had to make a law against this type of crap!

kudos to the firemen!

Back then it was not against the law and no it was not for weeks on end like some did. It was over night. Get a brain. You must be one of the younger generation that needs to have a pat on the back every once in a while to make you feel good.

If you think a bunch of drunk fireman had a right to use my awning you are seriously f-ed in the head. 

Oh and by the way I want to go fishing tomorrow could you leave your boat at the silver harbor landing so I can just take it fishing. I'm sure you will get right on that one. 

Also maybe dig deep into your pockets and give the owner of the forum some cash to keep it running instead of being someone who just mines all the information to use for his or her advantage without giving back some useful information. 

• Like 1

Big Guy

Wow this 5 year old thread really caught fire.  I've often thought about stashing a boat and have come across many stashed boats.  The most recent one in a lake that I happened to find hidden access too.  Bushwacked to get to the shore, looked over 20 yards and find a 14' freshly placed and a fresh well hidden trail in the works.  Kudos to whoever did the work and got that thing down there.  You'd are a much better person that me lol.

That being said, I'm a cynic, don't trust easily and couldn't stand leaving something behind just to go back a week later and have it missing or damaged beyond repair. It would drive me bonkers.  I also can't bring myself to use someone else's property, regardless of if it's fair game or not.   I would feel terrible if I ruined someone's day because I decided to go catch some fish.  I know how I would feel if I packed up my gear, my kiddo and headed out to the lake for a day and then not be able to fish.  I know it's a chance you take but Damn....

• Like 4

Gaulzilla

For what its worth boats  left on crown land in this area are still private property - not to be taken, damaged, or used by anyone other than the owner.  There are no time limits, or paper work that go along with it - it belongs to the owner.  4 hrs, 1 week, 10 years, no matter.  If you think otherwise you can look it up for yourself rather than go off your entitled opinion.

Anyone who has the mindset that the owner left it at their own risk is part of the problem.  Yes they took the risk and did what is legal to do, but if we all respect peoples things, and respect mother nature then there is no "risk" to the action.

With that said there is a lake I have used 1 of the many stashed boats - im no saint but that boat is returned how i found it with less garbage in it then when i used it.  Id hate to ruin someones day by using their boat and will  be better.  If you use a stashed boat at least do it with the knowledge that you are using someone elses property, not something that is yours to take.   For those who let people use their stashed boats, thank you - i hope people respect them.

Happy fishing!

• Like 2

Zackcorbin1401

If I was to leave a boat at a lake which I have in the past, even if locked it up I would 100% assume someone is going to use it/ cut my chain and just hopefully not steal it.

forkhorn

When you leave something that you own out in a public place. You have to take responsibility to what ever happens to it. Own your decisions. Doesn't matter what generation your from. Don't just blame some ignorant person that may have wrecked your equipment. Did they paly a role in the final outcome, of course they did. But, your decision on leaving something there was step one in the problem. It's what they call 'root cause'. No boat or camper no issue. I just own my decisions and just don't fly off the handle and blame others for a piss poor choice on my behalf. Last year someone stole climbing sticks and treestand I had on public land.. that was my piss poor choice leaving them there. 100% my fault, I should have taken them with like I usually do. But I took a risk in leaving them there and somebody took advantage of that. 

Of course people should respect others property but if you think everyone is 100% honest give your head a shake and cover your own damn tracks. 

For the record I don't use people equipment I have my own and like my own set ups. But I wouldn't be pissed off if I drove out to use my stashed boat and somebody was using it. That's on me again, taking responsibility for my actions. 

oyo

Personally, I get the whole private property thing, but northern Ontario is disgusting with how much garbage is out in the bush. 

Gaulzilla
18 minutes ago, oyo said:

For what’s it’s worth leaving boats lying around here is not legal. 

https://files.ontario.ca/webversion_boat_cache_regulation_map_2017-05-06.pdf

Thats for areas where paperwork and fees etc. apply - in that area you need to follow those rules for it to be legal.

And yeah (not you Oyo, just tagging onto the reply) you can play the blame the victim game and say they brought it on themselves, but its 100% the fault of the person that did the action.  People who are aholes should be held accountable, people who abide by the law should be respected.  Cutting  a chain off someones boat is a dick move - clearly its not there for you to use.

• Like 2