• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

JohnZ

Boat's left at lakes.

walleye seeker
30 minutes ago, oyo said:

For what’s it’s worth leaving boats lying around here is not legal. 

https://files.ontario.ca/webversion_boat_cache_regulation_map_2017-05-06.pdf

4 minutes ago, Gaulzilla said:

Thats for areas where paperwork and fees etc. apply - in that area you need to follow those rules for it to be legal.

And yeah (not you Oyo, just tagging onto the reply) you can play the blame the victim game and say they brought it on themselves, but its 100% the fault of the person that did the action.  People who are aholes should be held accountable, people who abide by the law should be respected.  Cutting  a chain off someones boat is a dick move - clearly its not there for you to use.

Your right the boat cache program doesn't apply to MNRF's  Thunder Bay District, nor Nipigon District and isn't enforced for the Atikokan area...No registration required to cache a boat.

Cutting chains, putting axe holes in and stealing boats; all dick moves in my books. Had all of the above done to my boats and can't understand why people would do so...I would NEVER EVER consider doing this to someone else's property!  

• Like 3

forkhorn
1 hour ago, walleye seeker said:

Your right the boat cache program doesn't apply to MNRF's  Thunder Bay District, nor Nipigon District and isn't enforced for the Atikokan area...No registration required to cache a boat.

Cutting chains, putting axe holes in and stealing boats; all dick moves in my books. Had all of the above done to my boats and can't understand why people would do so...I would NEVER EVER consider doing this to someone else's property!  

From what I have been told lodge owners and outfitters are notorious for boat damage and splitting minnow traps and tossing the one side. Also I have heard the OMNR doing the same. It could be complete BS... but we busted a lodge owner stealing others minnows and tossing 1/2 a trap up 811. Traps where all legally marked. So I wouldn't doubt it, especially from that individual.  He kindly gave us 2 traps to replace the one of ours and we never had an issue again. 

Hurketthunter

I can see some valid points to both sides here. Myself I think that if I cache a boat or canoe beside a lake and don’t lock it up I can expect others to use it. However cutting someone’s lock or chain or cutting the tree it’s chained to is criminal. If I park my truck on crown land while I’m out canoe camping for example and someone smashes a window to get in or manages to unlock it to gain access that is a crime plain and simple. It’s my property and I locked it up so doing anything to alter that is criminal behaviour. 

• Like 2

speckmaster

Lots of boats get “left” at lakes and the owners never return. What do you do then? Just let it rot?

mad scientist

O. Reg. 161/17: Occupation of Public Lands

Boats

19. A person is authorized to occupy public lands under section 21.1 of the Act for the purpose of placing a boat, whether a canoe, kayak, motor boat or any other kind of boat, only if the following conditions are met:

1. The boat is placed solely for the purpose of storage associated with a non-commercial activity.

2. The public lands on which the boat is placed are adjacent to a waterway. 

3. The public lands that are occupied are not part of a road, trail, parking lot or boat launch. 

4. The public lands are not located in the area depicted as Part I in the map entitled “Plan of the Boundary of the Boat Cache Program Area”, dated May 4, 2017 and available to the public at the Office of the Surveyor General in Peterborough.

• Thanks 1

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3

Looking at rule 3.. Say you go down to flower lake where all those boats are along the launch.. These are illegally stored no matter what. Ive used a fair amount of unlocked beaters and always return them unharmed. I even patched one at flower so the next person was dryer than me. These boats at the launch then are considered litter? Also there is a HUGE difference between hopping in someones boat at a dock and taking a "courtesy" boat out in the middle of the woods that barely floats anyway. If the boat was clearly in good shape and used by the owner often, then no i wouldnt use that one. There are so many places littered with boats around its pretty easy to tell which ones have been rotting for 10 years and which ones are likely used by owner. Stick to the beaters

• Like 1

bin fishin lots

If there's a cache of boats stashed then it's a lake I won't fish. Nor even think about it. Used to fly in to a lake called Giki. Then roads were punched in by logging and surveyors. Then cached boats, then a fishery was ruined. It's above Cheseeman. 35 years ago was untouched. Now pick whatever rig you want to fish in cause it's all there on shore. Take your boats home with you! Your literally advertising good fishing. Like a beer can or a Tim's cup. Leave nothing but your footprints ffs. Take your crap home with you.

Shawn

Is the odd boat that gets abandoned in the bush that big of a deal. We got a whole city with a few cases of covid and now we cannot stay in the bush for a night as well as  southern Ontario gang membersbusted with coke fentanyl and other crap having charges dropped 3 shootings in one week more litter on outskirts of city than at the landfill and we are gonna Arf Arf about accouple boats that got abandoned and feel we are entitled to whatever we come across at a lake. If it ain’t yours it’s theft

• Like 1

Shawn

What’s next you never locked your front door those junkies earned your ps4 and tv

Gaulzilla
3 hours ago, speckmaster said:

Lots of boats get “left” at lakes and the owners never return. What do you do then? Just let it rot?

If you are concerned that someone has left a boat and will never return (we all die sometime), or maybe its done illegally like blocking the launch or path (seen plenty of that - maybe the owner left it correctly but someone else used it and didnt put it back where they found it), then you can contact the MNR, or the OPP.  There are people that oversee the public lands.   Maybe theyll let you keep it if its not claimed after x amount of days?  I think thats what happens if you find a wallet full of cash and turn it in.

naden
2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Looking at rule 3.. Say you go down to flower lake where all those boats are along the launch.. These are illegally stored no matter what. Ive used a fair amount of unlocked beaters and always return them unharmed. I even patched one at flower so the next person was dryer than me. These boats at the launch then are considered litter? Also there is a HUGE difference between hopping in someones boat at a dock and taking a "courtesy" boat out in the middle of the woods that barely floats anyway. If the boat was clearly in good shape and used by the owner often, then no i wouldnt use that one. There are so many places littered with boats around its pretty easy to tell which ones have been rotting for 10 years and which ones are likely used by owner. Stick to the beaters

I think what the regulation is implying is that you shouldn’t block access with the boat. Like you said the boats at flower are along the launch not blocking the launch. I really don’t think these boats are illegally stored 

forkhorn

I find it so funny as boat’s slowly migrate in launch areas. Everyone seems like the need to be the closest. I assume these are the same people that strive to always be in the front of the line. Garden was real bad for that... I doubt that changed.  
Best thing I ever seen was a guy trying to get his boat and somebody chained a boat to his.... I laughed my butt off. He had his boat chained to the first tree around, basically in the launch area. I told him well I guess someone is more ignorant then you being your boat is at the launch...

hopefully this weekend we all burn off some steam... and just keep our cool and enjoy the outdoors. We do this activity to have fun... let’s not forget. Some are experts and some aren’t. 

Shawn

Bin fishin lots I don’t like people who fly into untouched lake and take fish out leave your plane at home

• Haha 1

bin fishin lots

I flew to work up Armstrong way. Pilot would stop for us to do some fishing. Trust me if I had a plane , yim yams like yourself wouldn't be leaving boats where I'd fish!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bin fishin lots said:

I flew to work up Armstrong way. Pilot would stop for us to do some fishing. Trust me if I had a plane , yim yams like yourself wouldn't be leaving boats where I'd fish!

Was working forestry 8 or so years ago and we all got limits of the floats when he picked us up! Made for an awesome dinner after a 10 bush run. If you can get to it, fish it!

• Like 1

BenjisGrandpa

Not saying I agree with using cached boats, but if you park your car down town with the keys in it, doors unlocked and windows down... for 98% of the year I can guarantee you someone either steals it, goes through it or vandalizes it. I use boats wherever go.. and I also have boats in multiple lakes. I have had them stolen and vandalized, and that’s the price I pay for being lazy and not wanting to bring a boat in everytime. Don’t like it? Don’t leave it. 

• Like 2

Rene

Oh Aluminum Boats Rot Now! Just don't clean UR fish by the Boat Cache and leave Guts there. It attracts the Nasty Bruin!!!

Dirty Sanchenz

I have several stashed boats, I don't lock them, people use them and usually they are put right back where I left them, I have no issues with that what so ever. I have never even had a paddle or net taken. I have been into lakes with stashed boats and I have used them and respectfully stay near the landing or launch in case the owner shows up and wants his boat. I have 2 buddies who lock their stash boats and they have had a few axed. I personally think anyone leaving a stash boat at a lake should expect it to be used. Anyway that's my experience, you do what you want.

• Like 1

Zackcorbin1401
On 5/29/2021 at 6:23 PM, Shore_Thing said:

I think I you're leaving your boat on crown land you should put your name and number on it. Even if someone else destroys it, it's still your responsibility to remove it once it's given up the ghost. Your name and number are your accountability for the stuff you leave out there. I have two old beater canoes stashed at different lakes with my number engraved on the yoke. I'm not bothered by people using them and one or two have even sent me a text saying thanks or pictures of their catch.

I'm not going to say it's OK to borrow or use absolutely anything you find out there but my experience has been that some people around here are actively trying to encourage others to love and care for our lands. If any of you have been lucky enough to find some of the little log cabins some very wonderful people have built on crown land around here you'll know what I mean; there are log books so people can record their experiences and let others know of the repairs/maintenance they hope to contribute.

There are always going to be assholes breaking crap, littering and not being considerate but speaking only from my own experience it has been pretty cool to stumble across what others have done and are willing to share. Those that use and respect these places and boats/canoes are usually the same hauling out the trash that the less considerate have left or broken. I'm pleasantly surprised to have read that a couple people on here think it's cool for others to use their canoe or boat too. Cheers to you guys.

All that being said, as I'm sure everyone on here knows, please never put the information about the location of these things online. It just invites people who don't care to ruin it for the rest of us.

The name and number could cause many problems as well. Some people will intentionally break things if they know who’s it is I’m thinking.

• Like 2

Feldwebel Wolfenstool

I had the landlord's y-stern Scott canoe stashed in the bush, 100 yards from a lake...he got worried about it, me leaving it there.  Brought it back to town just to make him happy again.  The canoe was boosted from the back yard within two months..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1