• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CoryCo

Graham road lakes

CoryCo

Me and a buddy are camping up the graham road next week for 3 days. We're bringing 2 quads and a 14ft tin can. We don't know the area very well but we're going to set up camp and quad into new lakes everyday. Looking for any lakes you guys reccomend going into. Don't mind if they're hard to get into. PM please

James01

Griffith, if you can get by the washout.

Wayne Lake is a good option, and fairly accessible.

Weaver.

Harry... or, at least, the lakes leading into it. LIttle Harry is in off the main road.

Little Aylsworth.

There are so many...

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

fishman1

Many many off the weaver road. If u have a quad and trailer, take your pick.

CoryCo

I think we're going to camp off the weaver road and explore from there

BASS ASSASSIN

Hey CoryCo:

I have fished all over up there, for the last 6 years, we try a new lake almost every time we go up.

If you want lots of fish including a couple trophy's go to km92 on the LEFT and portage from there, leave the bikes at home, you wont need them up there. Brightsand Lake, Metionga, Little Metionga are all killer. As are Harmon, Rude, and Scruffy.

If you don't want to drive that far km 55ish on LEFT head up river to Moberly, has lots of fish with some big ones as well.

If you don't mind buffing the paint on your truck, try Radio, lots of small ones in there.

Cheers, and have fun, I'd say good luck but you wont need it up there.

• Like 1

CoryCo

We did the portage. It would have been nice knowing it would take 4 hours. We left at 1 didn't get fishing until 5 dropped maybe 8 lines then had to portage for 4 hours back. Many roads were impassable with quads or truck.

I guess that's how you learn areas. Wasn't a very successful trip

McGinnis_Fishing

We did the portage. It would have been nice knowing it would take 4 hours. We left at 1 didn't get fishing until 5 dropped maybe 8 lines then had to portage for 4 hours back. Many roads were impassable with quads or truck.

I guess that's how you learn areas. Wasn't a very successful trip

Did you go all the way to metionga?

Foz

Sparkling has been good to me in the past. I would also like to try other lakes up Graham road as well. I want to do a trip way up there, just have to find a partner who is willing to do some portaging maybe.

BSmith

Sorry off topic but does anyone know names of lakes on graham road that have Lake Trout in them? And roughly what km down the road is the lake. Thanks! 

JoeJ

I don't know of any lakes accessible from the Graham Road having lake trout.  The only lake I know of that has lake trout would be Seseganaga and that can be accessed through wapikaimaski but the portages are a little rough.  Wap is deep enough for sure to hold lake trout but there's no lake trout.

Does anyone know if they repaired the wash out on the Graham Road south of Chappelle Lake?  Last summer it was still out and didn't look like any activity in the area.

We might fish Williams again this spring but that area is getting old.  Williams, Boe, Arrow, Issac, Mathrew, Elyn etc - great walleye fishing in all but Williams and Mathrew have some big jacks also and they will take a little time to land.  Once they get over 20 pounds and without a net - they will interrupt your walleye fishing.

We use a 16' Lund with 20hp outboard - you can walk in and out of Arrow or use the portage by cutting poplar to length and roll the boat over the portage - same with Boe, except the short portage is easiest.  You can launch into Williams, Issac and Mathrew.  If you're 1st into Williams you'll need to tear down a beaver dam - otherwise it's easy going.  You can get into Elyn from a small creek/river going out the north side of Mathrew.  If wet conditions, Mathrew can be tough to launch a 16 footer - 12 foot no problem.

We are thinking about heading north out of Dryden - never been in that part of the country.    

Broncos

JoeJ can you tell me at what mileage the washout at Chappelle Lake is I cannot find lake on the map.

For your Dryden trip turn right at the court house in Dryden follow the road till you hit Williams Bay on Lac Seul.  Head out from WIlliams Bay keep to left and there are a group of islands at the mouth of Williams Bay enjoy

JoeJ

Not sure of the mileage.  Call up google earth and enter coordinates:

50 07 10.40N 89 58 47.03W

It will bring you right into the washout on Graham - on the map its just west of the north point on Wapikaimaski - there's a creek going into Wap up there from Graham Road and that's where they tore out the culvert.  Never tried that creek, as I would think it would be tough going into WAP.  Took a ATV past the washout looking for launch sites for Chappelle and NoName Lakes a couple years back - as we were up there 35+ years ago following the logging camps and the sand pit area was the launching point.  Tough trail today and one needs a helmet for all the brush.  Back then we used 12 footers and canoes.  Everything has grown up around there and looks different than we remember - we saw nothing that would accommodate a 16 foot Lund.  Could still use 12 footers and canoes if going by ATV but we're older now and enjoy a few comforts in our camping (like a propane fridge) - way too much work for us with an ATV going past that wash-out.

Someone refortified the bridge over the water leading to Arrow, Williams and Boe - looks like the lumber boys will be heading North again and I assume they might put back in the culvert unless they head East at the lower fork.  Hoping they did it last fall or past winter.   

We use to fish Wap when you were allowed to drive in there - we helped build the little campground about 100 yards from the old trapper cabin on the point - The tent camp outfitter use to dynamite the road but we just found other routes until they finally got the politicians to make it illegal.

Lac Seul is just too large of a body of water.  Looking for something smaller but we do travel in a 95 Landcruiser with 35" tires, 5" lift, ARB lockers, 12K winch, on board air etc - so we have been able to get back on some "trails". 

We still have the ole Evans-Jorgenson Limited Maps for the Graham Road Lakes.  Outdated but they still show what species in the lakes.  Found out the Jacks completely eliminated the walleyes from evening lake - fished that lake for a total of 4 days over three years with no walleyes caught and the biggest Northern was 16 pounds with a zillion hammer-handles caught.     

Broncos

JoeJ

Culvert is north of where I want to go Sparkling Lake. Another spot take hwy 502 south turn onto Bear Narrows rd. Follow to Straight Lake, N49.57611 W 93.31160 Used to have to take a quad into lake but I have heard it ahs been "improved". Good walleye big northern. Also Beaverhouse lake further down Bear Narrows rd.

JoeJ

Logging Camp 603 was located on the north side of Little Sparkling Lake and according to Map 110 has Lake Trout in it.  Didn't know that prior to looking at that map just now.  Must be pretty deep.  Should be some ole logging roads that will get you back into Sparkling Lake unless you're going to try boating up the river off that small lake to the south of Little Sparkling - has a river that goes out the east end that appears to run into Sparkling Lake.  My map calls that river chain "Kashishibog".  I would guess there should be a rough spot or two in that river prior to getting to Sparkling.  That river chain runs out the SE corner of Sparkling and ends up in Kashishibog Lake. 

We use to fish Siess and Redsand just to the east of Sparkling but never tried Sparkling.  We tried finding a moose trail into Kashishibog from Redsand but never made it with canoes.  We were young then and fed the mosquitos well. 

fishermom

The crime stoppers charts at caltrek have fish species listed on the lakes. I was surprised to see quite a bit of trout up graham rd brightsands area

BirchPoint2014

I'm heading up to graham this weekend does anyone knoe how the road condition is

BirchPoint2014

CEO & COO of Birch Point Resort 

Kashabowie, ON

James01

I too would like to know this... if no one responds BP2014, let me know when you get back.

How far up are you going? 

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

BirchPoint2014

im heading up to around the 54 km marker. i'll let you know if no responds 

BirchPoint2014

CEO & COO of Birch Point Resort 

Kashabowie, ON

James01

Thanks... 

- Henry David Thoreau

sinker7

Was up there this past weekend. Road is okay...have seen it better. Doing 70-80km without a trailer but had to slow down for rough spots fairly often. Not severe rough spots but you didn't want to hit them going that fast. Definitely want to take it easier if you are pulling a trailer.

James01

Thanks sinker... I have been on the Graham Road when I could do better time than on the highway, and I have been on it when I spent hours driving around rough spots and holes. 

- Henry David Thoreau