• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evanschmidt

brook trout in rivers

evanschmidt

I've fished for brook trout all last summer but I was wondering if the specs go to lake superior in the winter from the rivers like the current river? If they do are they back in the rivers already? Also, I've been wanting to start fly fishing for specs and I have no idea when and what bug hatches happen other than the mayfly hatch...

Trout Wrangler

match the hatch, went out last weekend caught a couple in the creeks. waters are high and the bite is slow.

• Like 1

brookiebuster

The big coaster brookies move up river to spawn then go back to the big lake. Should be smaller resident brookies year round in most rivers/creeks that flow into 

superior. Was on a river the other day and noticed a small hatch going on. Match the hatch is key but also giving the fish something different will trigger some. Look under rocks in the river and look for nymphs as well. Smaller streamers work as well unless you're in the big lake or nipigon river where bigger baitfish or sculpin patterns are key. The waters cold and fast so fish the slower seams and do a few drifts beside the bank before wading in they usually are bank oriented this time of year.

• Like 2

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

brookiebuster

Fished in a swampy river in the middle of nowhere. Lots of 

brookies rising.

flyndie22

Caught 4 at the mouth of tge current river this afternoon biggest 15 inches

evanschmidt

Sounds about time to get out for some brookies! Can't decide whether to go for specs or steelhead tommorow....

• Like 1

bin fishin lots
2 hours ago, evanschmidt said:

Sounds about time to get out for some brookies! Can't decide whether to go for specs or steelhead tommorow....

Both chum!

Bunnyfoofoo
8 hours ago, flyndie22 said:

Caught 4 at the mouth of tge current river this afternoon biggest 15 inches

What side grain silo or fisherman's park also what did you use for bait.

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot!

flyndie22

Fisherman park side and with a silver and purple rapala i was shocked 

Macbook10

Can anyone tell me where what rivers and creeks to go to for brookies my usual honey hole drys up this time and year and the fish go else where and I cannot find anywhere else near that hold the a for sure any help would be great thanks 

Bobber Down

All the fish from your honey hole go to the rivers with a water flow east of Thunder Bay. McKenzie comes to mind as well as the Nipigon and all rivers in between. Just gotta get out and wet a line.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

AB

Rivers east of the city are woefully low.

You would likely have better luck in rivers or streamd that are groundwater (spring fed) until we get some serious soaking rain.

As for flies, you can always get a brookie to fall for a size 10 muddler minnow on a greased leader!

Good luck

AB

Macbook10
On 5/3/2016 at 9:01 PM, Trout Wrangler said:

match the hatch, went out last weekend caught a couple in the creeks. waters are high and the bite is slow.

care to share any creeks you know? thanks appreciate it

Bobber Down
11 hours ago, Macbook10 said:

When it comes to brook trout fishing members favourite spots be it a river or lake most likely will remain their favorite spots and not be posted on an open forum. By the way, how was your fishing this year and what creeks did you find specs in? Did you make it to the Arrow River for Browns?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

brookiebuster
On 10/13/2019 at 11:21 PM, Macbook10 said:

Brookies have been closed since labour day, hit up the various stocked lakes for your brook trout fix.

Macbook10
On 5/6/2016 at 1:51 PM, brookiebuster said:

Fished in a swampy river in the middle of nowhere. Lots of 

brookies rising.

Would you care to share where? I wouldn’t mind sharing a few of my spots you could personal message me if so! Thanks tight lines! 

Macbook10

anyone get out today for brookies? went out got nothing talked to one guy said he got 2.