• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

pastor norm

Crankbaits for Salmon on Superior

pastor norm

Just wanted check with other trollers about effective crankbaits for salmon. Years ago we trolled long lines with 18 cm floating Rapalas in either silver or gold.  Lately, if the salmon were near the top, I would troll Live Target smelt imitations.  A jointed Bomber in pearl white and pink was someone else's go-to crank.  I know how flashy jointed raps do well in the Nipigon but I am not sure they work as well in the open water because their attraction is to p-ss off spawning salmon, not so much to imitate a food.

Any other suggestions that are tried and true? 

Thefishleclair

Man If I could get my one Rap back from a Salmons jaw I would not know what to do. It was a blue and silver odd body shape Deep diver. I ran that behind a ball and it was the ticket! I landed so many on it was crazy! I have tried others and never even had a bump! I still run the odd rap now and then and also J-Plugs......If ya find that one edge you can make a season great!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

jonut13

I've had luck with the live target smelt, behind planner boards and cannon balls.  I also do well with an old purple/silver Rebel Fast Track.

fishman1

The old chartreuse, orange fast track was a go to when there was fish around.

back in the good old days!

forkhorn

Years ago fishing out of Memory Lodge when I was a kid we ran AC shiners. From what I can remember it was a 4.5" stick bait. Colours we ran where chartreuse, black and blue backs. Seemed to be a good lure back then

Jelly Belly

My favorite to use and we always have at least one flatline out. It's usually a pearl bomber or a orange jointed j 13. O the lake all summer and definitely nipigon river. Also flat line a j plug lots too with success.

eyelander

One of the best lures for us was the Witch Doctor, made by Les Davis. It is long out of production. We caught so many salmon on it, but not on the color pictured below. The color that produced was blue and silver. Tried the one below also but did not catch a single salmon on it. Lots on chartreuse J13 Rapalas also but the Witch Doctor far out produced them everything else we put down, plugs and crankbait wise.

IMG_2037.JPG

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

naden
On 6/25/2016 at 7:42 PM, Jelly Belly said:

My favorite to use and we always have at least one flatline out. It's usually a pearl bomber or a orange jointed j 13. O the lake all summer and definitely nipigon river. Also flat line a j plug lots too with success.

When you flatline do you use planer boards to get the crankbaits out and away from the downriggers or just a long rod out to the side? Im mounting downriggers to my boat today and trying to figure out the easiest way to run two more lines out the side without stacking or using cheaters.

redotter

Best thing to use is dipsey divers but you will need to buy a dipsey rod and a line counter reel with 50lb braid. You will need rubber snubbers as well and some florocarbon line for a leader.  The dipseys have a weighted dial on the bottom so you can set it to go down and away from your boat.  They have a lot of torque on them that's why you need a thicker dipsey rod.  A setting of 2 on the dipsey and 60 ft of line will take you down and away from boat approximately 35-40ft depending on speed.  I also use leadcore and planer boards.  I have 2 rods set up with 5 & 10 colours of leadcore.  The 10 colour will get you down approximately 40ft.  I find you will catch less fish on them but generally larger fish.

naden

Thanks redotter, what do you use as a main line and a leader on your lead core lines?

pastor norm

Thanks for the tips, guys...

redotter

For leadcore backing I use your choice of 30lb monofilament a couple hundred feet should do.  To join the lines remove about 6 inches of lead from leadcore line.  Make a simple overhand knot in leadcore line.  Insert monofilament line into sleeve of leadcore. Slide knot down and pull tight.  Trim excess line.  There are YouTube videos on this.  I like to use 20lb fluorocarbon as leader line but I like to use a barrel swivel to attach to leadcore to prevent line twist.  I usually use the length of my rod for leader length.  You will need a large arbour 400 series trolling reel for your 10 colour leadcore setup.

Jayfishin

Any Dipsy and Snubber colours that guys have found working best in Superior the last few years?

I generally run downriggers when I am fishing alone but when another fisherman is on board I want to get more into trying dipsy's out to the sides with the additional lines.

Have been catching alot of lakers so far the last two weeks not far out from breakwall. I missed a 10lb+ chinook though last week as well.  I hear the guys that are catching them are finding bigger sizes this year.

Looking forward to the derby in a couple weeks.

Jay

redotter

I like clears and black dipseys as well as 12-18" clear snubbers.  I always go with stealth mode.

Jelly Belly

When I flat line it's usually one of the back with about 150 to 200 feet line out. Usually got riggers down with dipsys.  My boat can only comfortable with max 3 guys. 18 foot alumicraft.  My buddy's  boat we can sit 4 guys no prob. We will have 4 riggers down 2 dipsys and a flat line .