• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CoryCo

Ice shack skis

CoryCo

Hey guys built a 10x14 ice shack. Now just looking to finish the skis. Curious if anybody has any tips?

My shack is heavy as it's framed with 2x4. Has a peak with rolled metal roof. 

Skis will be attached with lag bolts every 12" drilled through angle iron on each side. Need to be 20ft long.

My initial thought is to box 8 2x6 to give me a true 12" wide ski. This is going to be heavy. Teflon on the bottom with waterproof sealant on the sides and top of every board. 

other ideas?

RH.

On mine i have 3 2x10s nailed together and then another 2x10 on top so the ski looks like a "T" so you can screw the skis directly into the floor joists and then i have some angle iron in different spots to give it a few more places to grab

CoryCo

How big is your shack? Framed with 3" or 4"? I don't want to cheap out on skis and be left stuck on the lake 

RH.

Mine is just a 9x6 shack but i got the same idea from a guy who runs the ice shack rentals out on black bay, he has several very large shacks with no issues with the skis

pbear

Unless you can get the Teflon for free, I used HDPE on the bottom of the skis.  It's the same material as the sliders on snowmachines.  Call Larry at surecraft Plastics 577-5308 if you need some. 

CoryCo

Yes can get Teflon for free. I like your idea reilly but thinking I am going to do 2x6 20 footers with braces every 16" for support and to save weight. With a 2x12 on the bottom, with Teflon on the bottom. 

pjauff

I'd go with a 2x10 to give yourself a bit more clearance when towing/jacking the shack. Make sure you glue the connections and counterbore the screws into the teflon.

RH.

Yea thats why i went with the 2x10s. If you are pulling it threw any snow you will want as much clearance as you can get

Jerr454

Taller the better. Id make solid skiis laminated together 2x10's or 2x12's. U want them strong and it keeps your hut solid. That hdpe sucks its very brittle in the cold. Nova pro stocks 4x8 and 4x10 sheets same stuff viterra uses and its good to -40. 500$ buck a sheet but id hate to have to replace it down the road.

CoryCo

Yeah I'm leaning more towards 2x10 to prevent the shack from Plowing snow. 

Jerr454

I got 2x10's on mine and still plows snow when conditions arent great. My next ones will b 2x12. Wider u go the less likely to plow snow also. Id laminate 3-2x10's and ad a 2x4 at the bottom edge to make them 7 1/2 wide then use 8" wide teflon with a liitle overhang on each side. Weight isnt usually an issue. Mine is 10x18 and i pull it no problem with tire chains

ribneck

Id say you Coryco should hire a qualified carpenter sounds like this jobs over your head ;) 

mitch

I strongly recommend to build your skiis solid..(not hollow).. If your skiis ever freeze in its a lot harder to free the skiis from the ice when the ice gets inside the ski,( hahahha  leant this the hard way).. I laugh now but was not fun putting on new skiis out on the ice. With solid skiis ive seen a lot of guys pop there skiis out  with little to no damage! Your skiis are basically the heart of your shack, build them strong .. was my biggest mistake with my shack.. I now have 2x12's staggered together 4 wide to make 6" wide skiis by 20' long , my shack is 10'x16' and it pulls nice and easy.

CoryCo

Right on man. No problem with skis only 6" wide? I think this is what we're gonna do. I'd prefer to go a little wider. What do you think? 

CoryCo

Also wondering how you made 20ft skis? Did you use 2x12 20 footers or joint 2 10 footers

mitch

I used 10 footers like u said.. wider definitely would hurt

CoryCo

Got the lumber dropped off yesterday went with 2x10x20ft. Figure a straight piece would be stronger than a joint. 

Skis are going to about 9" wide 10" high. 

Similar to the pic I posted. Will be gluing all the joints and using lag bolts with some nails mixed in. 

Solid in the front and back with a block in the middle with straight braces every foot. 

IMG_8617.JPG

CoryCo

You can't tell in the pics, but right before the solid part there is a 2ft slope. 

From what i can tell they're strong as hell and don't think you'll ever snap a 2x10. Will rip out of the floor before that happens 

IMG_8622.JPG

IMG_8623.JPG

CoryCo

Also not as warped as the pic looks. They're actually straight lol

CoryCo

Everyone I talked to said you're not going to gain much with solid 20ft skis. Just extra weight. 

CoryCo

Everything pieced together got the floor built. Looking for a wood stove if anybody has one. For sale. 

Theyres 199.99 new at maier hardware. So not really looking to spend an arm and a leg. 

IMG_8652.JPG