• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Porter Ross

Stocked Trout Lakes

Porter Ross

I will be in Thunder Bay for a meeting in a couple weeks.  I was thinking about staying the weekend and fishing in the stocked trout lakes in the area.  Does anyone have experience with these lakes?  Most have speckled trout, some have splake.  Is access usually fairly simple, do they generally have spots to fish from shore?  Just wondering if it would be worth the effort.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Northoman

Chubb lake is very easy to get to and has two spots that you can shore fish from and normally produces fish. 

Let me know if you need more info.

Welcome to Thunder Bay. 

• Like 1

Porter Ross

Thanks for the input, good to know.  I do plan on heading deeper inland.  I did go through the stocking reports and noted some lakes to try.  Is there a good map available that accurately shows the road network in the more remote areas?  Do the more remote lakes generally have portages to them or is it bushwhacking?  

MetalFishing

Get a crime stoppers map from D & R; it has lakes labelled with what fish are in there and a bunch of trails.

levi64
22 hours ago, Porter Ross said:

Thanks for the input, good to know.  I do plan on heading deeper inland.  I did go through the stocking reports and noted some lakes to try.  Is there a good map available that accurately shows the road network in the more remote areas?  Do the more remote lakes generally have portages to them or is it bushwhacking?  

Alot of  the good fishing spots require bushwacking but its usually worth it.  Crime stoppers map is not bad but outdated, trails grow in quickly and disappear.  Backroad maps are more up to date for trails, i picked some up at Chaltrek on Balmoral street but they are long and lat, still very good maps.

Porter Ross

Well I fished and camped in the Arrow Lake area Friday afternoon and Saturday.  Shore fished four different stocked trout lakes, catching nothing in three of them and just some little perch in another.  Watched a cow and calf moose for awhile at one of the lakes.  All the spots I tried had evidence of plenty of fishing pressure.  Unfortunately all sites had lots of litter, too.  Most of the litter was pretty fresh.  Could have filled multiple garbage bags at one spot that was a kilometer from the road on a steep trail.  Can't figure out how they could carry full beer cans up the hill, but somehow couldn't carry empty cans back down the hill.  Lots of folks out and about grouse hunting.  I only saw one grouse.