• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bear

Stupidity Almost Cost Me

Bear

Its been a long few weeks for me.  First my wife had a heart scare, quick trip to Thunder Bay for a tune up, I fell and near bust my hip, my fault.  But what I want to share with you is that sometimes we can prevent bad things from happening.  Up front I will tell you I have learned a lesson and will not do this again.

I was melting lead, about 100 pounds in my special designed bulk lead melting pot.  As always I am in a hurry, and was not paying attention.  I melt dirty bulk lead outside my shop, then skim off the impurities and make 2 pound ingots of go into the lead pots and the centrifuge machine.  The lead was melted and I was about to skim the crap, so I grabbed the ladle, which is about 4" across.  It had a skim of snow in it so I blew it out with a quick breath.  I then started to clean out the skim off the top of the lead.  Before I go on, I usually wear a face shield and welding gloves, in case there is any splatter.  Of course that day I didn't.  I had on a pair of thin gloves, no face shield.  When the ladle hit the hot lead there must have been some ice on the bottom of it, and there was an immediate explosion, like a shot gun going off in your ear.   I was covered in hot lead.  My glasses were covered and I could smell flesh and hair burning.  I then realized it was mine.  My face caught the bulk of the hot lead, actually melting the lenses of my glasses.  I have a third degree burn (small) on my right hand and first degree burns on my face and scalp.

That day I must have walked by my gloves and face shield a dozen times when I went out to check the lead pot.  Did I learn a lesson, you betcha. I can tell you I will never take safety for granted again.  I now even wear cover over safety glasses when pouring from the 20 pound pots.  The eye doctor told me that if I wasn't wearing glasses, I would likely be blind. 

So you guys who pour your own jigs or do anything where your safety is a priority, learn from my close call.

Good thing id the burns on my face are healing well and I am as handsome as ever.

Bear

gsambray

Wow that is lucky. A definite eye opener for sure. Glad your going to be ok

Castnblast

That is f'n crazy.

Very glad that you are ok, thatnka for the share and saftey reminder

• Like 1

Some Old Guy

Wow! Glad your ok. That molten lead is nasty. I have a few small scars on my hands and one on my foot.

My scariest one was with a cold lead pipe. I just have a 20 pound pot. I cut about a foot of cold lead pipe that must of had some moisture in it. I put it in the pot and it erupted like a volcano! Lead was pasted all over the ceiling in my garage and was raining down everywhere. Amazingly enough, not one drop hit me.

And yes! Thankfully you had your glasses on because I'd hate to be the one tying on your lures all the time! Ha HA!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

RatherBeFishin

Scary.... glad to hear your ok ! I didnt realise it was that volitale. Although i dont melt my own lead. Now i know to be carefull. Thanks for the story. 

levi64

You are very lucky. That could have been extremely bad. Sometimes we all get complacient and need a reminder. Its a bad thing that happened to you, but thank you for sharing, it will sure make me think about some of the things I do.

arvey

Close call scary , things happen when your in a hurry. glad your okay.