• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RT04

Spring Steelhead T.O.D

RT04

Gentlemen, i'd like to discuss time of day for prime springtime steelheading. I'm not an experienced steelhead angler, but i've got a few years under my belt as a fly angler, so i'm just looking to better my chances of capitalizing on the steelhead runs that we get here on the North Shore.

Of course the afternoon and evening up until dusk are the most convenient hours to head out fishing and wade out into your favourite spot, but i'm wondering if the early hours of the morning when you're stepping down to the river as the sun rises is going to better my chances of hooking into some of that chrome goodness??? 

I'm a young man at 23 years old and I love to get up and start my day extra early, so i'm not afraid to be at my spot before sun up, but i'm wondering if any of the gents with more experience than myself can let me know if it'll better my chances at all. I'd love to get my hands on some of these beautiful steelhead. I went in the mid afternoon the other day and was casting my fly to hundreds of keeper sized fish that were practically stacked on top of eachother but nothing would bite no matter how many hours I spent swapping out presentations and creating variations in the way I stripped my line back. 

Any advice for a young steelheader is appreciated. Cheers

brookiebuster

I've caught them at all times of day with equal success. Keep changing up presentations till you find what they want. They are heavily pressured right now so best bet is a more natural presentation like a small nymph, San Juan worm or single egg. If you see fish stacked up and they're not biting leave them alone. Move on and find other fish. If you see them spawning leave them alone. Yesterday I had to keep moving to find active fish. Fish the smaller pockets aswell. Remember they're not in the rivers to feed but if something drifts by they will instinctively bite. 

• Like 1

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

fisherdude

Those also might have bin suckers. If your in the suckers, head up river higher.

brookiebuster

If you don't get into any steelhead suckers are pretty fun on the fly! They hit  just about anything and fight pretty good. A fish is a fish.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

fisherdude

I agree. A big sucker in the current on the fly is fun. But can get frustrating when trying for steelhead.

RT04

Appreciate the advice and information. These definitely weren't suckers though. When the water clarity is A+++ and you've got a good set of polarized lenses you know what you're looking at. I feel like I was probably casting to a bunch of fish that were getting ready to spawn, thats my mistake. I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future. 

Castnblast
On 5/14/2018 at 11:45 PM, brookiebuster said:

If you don't get into any steelhead suckers are pretty fun on the fly! They hit  just about anything and fight pretty good. A fish is a fish.

Uhh...I beg to differ...

Castnblast
On 5/14/2018 at 10:41 PM, brookiebuster said:

I've caught them at all times of day with equal success. Keep changing up presentations till you find what they want. They are heavily pressured right now so best bet is a more natural presentation like a small nymph, San Juan worm or single egg. If you see fish stacked up and they're not biting leave them alone. Move on and find other fish. If you see them spawning leave them alone. Yesterday I had to keep moving to find active fish. Fish the smaller pockets aswell. Remember they're not in the rivers to feed but if something drifts by they will instinctively bite. 

As as Brookie buster says, switch it up. 90% of guys on the river throw the same size, same thing, same colour.

As the water drops ~ and the longer the fish are in the river under angling pressure ~ they will be more receptive to smaller profiles, lighter lines and more natural colours. Olive / brown Bugs are good choices for high stick nymphing techniques, and if you find the right water and like to swing flies, they will chase it if the fish gods are smiling. 

If all else fails, find a deep pool, light a fire, roast some smokies, drown a big fat dewy and hang on tight...

Don’t let the fish Gorf the meat as you will likely deeply hook it, eliminating any chance of a successful release.

Good luck fishing!

ps - stick to the nymphs in late season : )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Castnblast

Oh yea one last thing...

if the water is up, and fish are moving, time of day does not matter.

If the river is dropping and fish are stale, spawning or not moving, first guy on the water / early morning is the way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

toma-hawk

Good info castnblast.

Rick

spindilla1

Also lighten the lead, use fluorocarbon it helps.

If you see a pool full of chrome and they ain't biting anything 9 times out of 10 its your setup.  Skilled steelhead fishermen and women know trout bite more than walleye and bass.

Thefishleclair

Watch for my baits next spring, I have some great plastics for the finicky trout bite! 

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Aquaman420

Pink stone flies 

• Like 1