• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
xf800

New e tec

xf800

I currently have a four stroke outboard on my 14 foot deep and wide Lund. I am thinking about up grading to a e tec outboard maybe a 25 or 30 they have a troll down option that I like. I was wondering if the e tec is a good motor on fuel, maintenance and oil consumption? I am also wondering if they smoke like old 2 strokes do or not and if they can troll all day without getting  carbed up? I was also looking at Yamaha 25 with the troll down but on back order till like August they can get a 30 Yamaha faster but they are much heavier than the 25 so the hp I gain I would loose to weight gain!

Thanks,

Stephen

toma-hawk

First check to see what your boat is rated for, if its a 30 hp then thats the size you should be  looking at.Then decide about the weight of 4 stroke to 2 stroke,of course budget is a big factor.Also how old is your boat? It may only take the weight of a 2 stroke.

Rick

AB

Stephen,

I have a 60HP e-Tec. Its actually my second one as I repowered after 10 yrs of heavy service from my 1st 2007 e-Tec.

E-Tecs are a great motor, so is the Yamaha. I considered one when I was making the decision to purchase a new outboard this winter.  My 1st e-Tec was  great on fuel, (pushing a 16ft Crestliner Fish Hawk), oil consumption and emissions - no where near the exhaust of other two strokes.

The main reason I decided to stay with Evinrude was the 10 year warranty coverage I got. No headaches for the next ten years other than the routine maintenance every 3rd yr. I also got a pretty good trade in allowance for my 10yr old motor which made the cost all that more attractive.

I'd advise you to see what the difference is in prop options as they really impact the performance of the boat of the water.

The e-Tec will have a better hole shot than the Yamaha. Other than that they are both really good outboards.

AB

xf800

Thanks for the information I went with the 25 etec it comes with a 8 year warranty. Yamaha had no warranty it would cost me $250 for 2 years. The etec came with electric start and power tilt and trim. The Yamaha came with electric start but no power tilt and trim and was a few hundred dollar option. My boat is a 2014 Lund deep and wide right now I have a 2014 lean burn 20 Suzuki it pushes it at 22 mph with 2 people, so the 25 should be a little faster. I am putting the 20 on another boat. I would of gotten the 30 Suzuki but it doesn’t have a throttle down option and would push my boat way to fast for walleyes. 

Thanks,

Stephen 

toma-hawk

Sounds like you made a perfect decision.Good luck with your new set up.Have a safe fishing season.

Rick

Adrian
On 5/28/2018 at 9:06 PM, xf800 said:

Thanks for the information I went with the 25 etec it comes with a 8 year warranty. Yamaha had no warranty it would cost me $250 for 2 years. The etec came with electric start and power tilt and trim. The Yamaha came with electric start but no power tilt and trim and was a few hundred dollar option. My boat is a 2014 Lund deep and wide right now I have a 2014 lean burn 20 Suzuki it pushes it at 22 mph with 2 people, so the 25 should be a little faster. I am putting the 20 on another boat. I would of gotten the 30 Suzuki but it doesn’t have a throttle down option and would push my boat way to fast for walleyes. 

Thanks,

Stephen 

So how is the E-tech working out for you?  How is the fuel and oil consumption?  What did you gain in speed?  A friend is thinking of going from an older Yamaha 25 - 4 stroke to a 25 E-tech.

arvey

If I may chime in my daughter has had a 25 hp e tec for about 9 yrs. she loves it no problems as of yet. her and hubby put lots of time on the water . if you check out e tec on the net there's a video of a 40 Yamaha 40 Suzuki 40 e tec and a 30 e tec you maybe surprised. 

xf800

So far so good with the e tec. With my boat it will push it at 26.8mph  with 2 guys and lots of fishing gear it gets on plain faster because it has more hole shot. I like the auto troll down feature I back troll for walleye and in reverse on the lowest setting trolls down to 0.7 mph then next 1 mph and next one is 1.2mph without using the auto troll down trolls at 1.5 mph on calm days.It is not like a old two stroke it doesn’t smell and burns nothing for oil. It is good on fuel it might burn slightly more than my Suzuki but not by much. I like the shifter placement better and find it smoother than the Suzuki. I also like not changing the oil and the etec don’t have to do anything for 3 years.

Stephen