• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest stumped

Hair Removal from Deer

Guest stumped

Okay guys, I need your help again. We have skinned the deer, cut off the legs and head ready for the butcher, but now we have to get the stray hairs left behind on the carcass. Are there any easy suggestions as to getting rid of this hair or do we have to take a hose to it and wash it down before taking it over?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Ron

Okay guys, I need your help again. We have skinned the deer, cut off the legs and head ready for the butcher, but now we have to get the stray hairs left behind on the carcass. Are there any easy suggestions as to getting rid of this hair or do we have to take a hose to it and wash it down before taking it over?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have used a quick pass with a blow torch once the big clumps of hair are manually removed. The torch needs to be passed fast enough to burn the hair but obvioulsy not too slow as to cook the meat! The hair will curl and fall off, the garage will stink for a bit but it works great.

Ron

Guest stumped

I have used a quick pass with a blow torch once the big clumps of hair are manually removed. The torch needs to be passed fast enough to burn the hair but obvioulsy not too slow as to cook the meat! The hair will curl and fall off, the garage will stink for a bit but it works great.

Ron

Hey Ron, that is a great idea. I mentioned it to my husband but unfortunately we don't have a blow torch. I suggested matches but he vetoed that idea. Definitely will keep that in mind for next time.

Guest Wes

Pail of warm water and a rag. Just keep wiping until it is all gone. The only reason for warm water is so you don't freeze your hands. Thats what I did and it worked fine.

Guest Ron

A butcher once warned me about using water. You can use it, just dont over do it. Damp cloth works but a soak and wet cloth can put to much moisture on the meat.

Ron

Bear

Exactly, too much water can actually cause the meat to break down and make it soft. A damp cloth is the best way, I buy used towels in bulk for rags in the shop from the dry cleaner, and find terry cloth seems to pick up the hairs real nice. I have also seen people let the outer skin dry and thenn use a shop vac to clean off the hair.

Good luck