• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
tomtom

Pistol caliber rifles

Bobber Down

I visited this over 30 years ago when I owned 357 handguns and thought owning a rifle in the same caliber would be fun and convenient. As most deer kills are under 100 yards and many around 50 yards the 357 and or 44 mag will be plenty good enough. Not sure is the downfield velocity/hitting power of the bullet would be sufficient for a "clean kill" farther out like 200 yards or more. I guess it would depend on how good a shot you are, whether you load your own or use factory ammo, the barrel length, twist and design your going to use. In the end though I stuck with a rifle with a scope so I could reach out and drop that trophy of a lifetime standing broadside at the edge of a field 300 yards away. If you have a need to purchase a rifle in handgun calibers for deer go for it. If your not happy with it for hunting you will still have a fun gun. Winchester, Ruger and Marlin I believe still make rifles in the above calibers. You can never have too many guns.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

tomtom

Yes I got a marlin 44 rem, pretty much it’s for 50 yards or less. I was using a 45-70 for this but found for30-50 yard shots it was kinda overkill 

Garbie

I have a 44 mag. Never shot a deer with it, but would expect it to be quite capable within reasonable range. Its a super fun gun. Even if you don't reload, you can get a broad range of loads for from mild to wild. Just watch overall length in them, mine won't cycle long ones and I have to single load. If you consider 45-70 pistol caliber it too is a fun shooter that can be loaded down to a pee shooter. It is more than capable with correct loads/projectiles for the task.