• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

AmateurHourAngling

Silver Harbour Ice Conditions

AmateurHourAngling

I know it’s early and I can probably still launch my boat down there but just wanted to get the thread started! Stay safe out there guys! 

Cheers!

• Like 1

-JADEN

AmateurHourAngling

Anybody drive by? Waves crashing on shore or has it started to lock up?

-JADEN

Ive been watching ice reports. A while to go yet

AmateurHourAngling

Hoping this cold weather has locked it up enough to walk out, might take a look tomorrow afternoon

-JADEN

scandiman
29 minutes ago, AmateurHourAngling said:

Hoping this cold weather has locked it up enough to walk out, might take a look tomorrow afternoon

I'd say there's no way its safe enough yet. Plus all this snow will not help either.

Ice report for today suggests not going out anytime soon. By safety guidelines the pink and purple are not safe. The magenta means you can probably atleast walk on it

Screenshot_2018-12-30-19-06-50.png

Kaptain Kirk

Didnt look Like It Was Safe earlier today when i went bye, Still Open Water, and sheets of ice,

Wopfisher

Quite a bit of open water there still it’s definitely gonna be a bit before you can walk out 

eyelander

Lake Trout, Whitefish, and Herring I believe.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Still a little bit to go but was apparently covered by ice when the satellite went by today. As for species, what eyelander said. Ive had awesome days out there and terrible days out there. Last year we did ok with Lake trout, filled the smoker right up, but you gotta want to walk to the 90ft flat or you won't catch much. Atleast I didnt. I did not catch a single whitefish there last year whereas years before I've had days where we hammered them. 

Screenshot_2019-01-03-22-33-45.png

Clewis

Saturday

18901ECF-4F06-4678-949F-4C9E89FF0C93.jpeg

Pound 4 Pound

Good post Clewis  for everyone's safety. Don't jump the gun there has been  many years that Silver Harbour with cold weather does not freeze safe enough until February don't take the risk there is  lot of under current around that area. I have ice fished that area for many years and was tought by many and experienced fisherman that are now RIP that I have learnt from. Be safe a few fish are not worth a life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fishog

Don't think anyone will be ice fishing there this year unless they have pontoons on their sled :) 

3hkY5Wu.jpg

• Like 1

CountDupu

I meant to say the same thing yesterday, drove out to check and there’s only ice between island and land . I don’t think it’s happening this year

jbzobes

I've lived just down the beach for nearly 33 years, and I can't remember a year where Ya' haven't been able to at least walk out in February...3 or 4 days of cold and no wind, she'll set and build...cheerz...jb...

AmateurHourAngling

Any updates after the past few days with our extreme temps?

-JADEN

Ice charts show it freezing and breaking up and freezing. Couple more weeks id guess

Ice charts have silver harbour iced over. Anyone been out that way to confirm?

fishingfinn

I was out there on the weekend, yup it's definitely frozen over.  I wasn't fishing, just walking the dogs around.  Looked like a number of ridges had formed out from the harbour.  I walked around on the ice, west of the harbour.  Don't know how much ice, but there was sign of people fishing already.  

• Thanks 1

AmateurHourAngling

walked out 600metres According to navionics, 7-9” every hole I drilled..4 hours and had lots of activity on the screen all day but could only pull up 2 whities and a herring

-JADEN

18 minutes ago, AmateurHourAngling said:

walked out 600metres According to navionics, 7-9” every hole I drilled..4 hours and had lots of activity on the screen all day but could only pull up 2 whities and a herring

Were there signs people had sleds going out?

AmateurHourAngling
9 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Were there signs people had sleds going out?

I looked and there was sled marks up at the parking (could be anyone just ripping around) but there was too much snow blowing around to see anything on the ice itself. My own tracks were disappearing right behind me. I could make out some snowmachine tracks on the ice but not far and didn’t seem to be pulling any sleighs so could’ve been just leisure riders

-JADEN

AmateurHourAngling

Anyone else been out? Probably going back tomorrow if anyone else wants to join

-JADEN

ottoman82

How far do you go out?  I am looking at going out a few times while the kids are in school so I will be limited in time.  I don't want to go too far out.  I was hoping for lake trout or white fish.

Cheers