• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Keith bourbon

Smelts soon?

Keith bourbon

just drove by mcvicar at the water front. Water is flowing heavy.... cant wait to get into some smelts! 

brookiebuster

Still awhile to go, water is above the ice 

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Water is still way to cold for them to run even if the river is flowing. Don't get your hopes up!

offroader
8 hours ago, 2112 said:

Water is still way to cold for them to run even if the river is flowing. Don't get your hopes up!

Agreed... I guess at around 2 weeks from now ...March 29th..ish

• Haha 1

Keith bourbon

End of the month for sure!  Anyone know of good places to dip when they're running? I've only ever went to the south west corner at the bottom of the freestone.... 

Current river is easiest and close. Keep you eye on the board because people will let everyone know when they start.

• Haha 1

RickRaw

Have never been out in Thunder Bay but would love to this year.  Will have to keep an eye on here and try and find where you guys all go!

Beaver

2 weeks from March 15 = March 29 not April 29 bub. They be headed the wrong direction by that time. 

Anyone else have any good spots?

I have only smelted the Freestone. Was a great year there last year though, we didn't even need waders. Found a honey hole on the upper eastern trib of the southern part. 

Will post a photo or 2 tonight!

Cheers all🍻

Beaver

BartBodd

I am down in Stacy Minnesota right now rivers are Flowing like a fox here. Luckily I still had my water testing kit in  my F150  from last year😂😂😂.  Anywoo the water tested a mean 43.7 °F!!! Them smelts be biting soon! Stay tuned

• Confused 1

Keith bourbon

Pretty sure i heard their heads banging on the ice as they were swimming upstream.... 

• Confused 1

Beaver

Hey Bart. This is Canada.

As for you Mr.Bourbon all that is is the sound of the ice shifting as it melts. I definetly dont believe you would ever hear the sound of their "heads" through the ice. 

Cheers all 🍻

Beaver

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

ribneck

Just checked my videos from last year we were out May 9th and they were running like crazy ! 

• Like 1

offroader
6 hours ago, Beaver said:

2 weeks from March 15 = March 29 not April 29 bub. They be headed the wrong direction by that time. 

Anyone else have any good spots?

I have only smelted the Freestone. Was a great year there last year though, we didn't even need waders. Found a honey hole on the upper eastern trib of the southern part. 

Will post a photo or 2 tonight!

Cheers all🍻

Beaver

Ya I meant "March 29" Bubba Beaver   😜

fishman1

When domer drives by you with a half ton full ,then it's time!

BartBodd

Hey fishman01 a whole half ton full seems a bit excessive dont ya think?  Me and the mrs only take back what we consume. Usually a small ice cream tub works good for the 2 of us. Its tough to watch the uneducated walk away from the river bank being way over their smelt limits.

Good luck!

Uneducated? You are the one lacking the understanding of regulations. There is no limit of smelt. Its uneducated of you to call anyone uneducated. How do you know they are not feeding their family? Furthermore they are the best ice fishing bait going. In reality smelt have out competed all the natural bait fish here. They are naturalised but not natural. Think twice before you start suggesting to people what they are doing if its in the confines of the law. 

Knowledge is Power!

• Like 2

Zackcorbin1401

Last year in current April 28th was the first day I got them, was alone the whole night. Got them as late as may 17th last year and were still in thick! Alone at the river once again getting 3/4 net per scoop.

• Like 1

Garbie
20 hours ago, 2112 said:

Uneducated? You are the one lacking the understanding of regulations. There is no limit of smelt. I do not personally know Domer but its uneducated of you to call him uneducated. How do you know he isn't feeding his family? Furthermore they are the best ice fishing bait going. In reality smelt have out competed all the natural bait fish here. They are naturalised but not natural. Think twice before you start suggesting to people what they are doing if its in the confines of the law. 

Knowledge is Power!

Are smelts allowed as baitfish? They aren't listed for live baitfish and in multiple zones, rainbow smelt are banned.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Garbie said:

Are smelts allowed as baitfish? They aren't listed for live baitfish and in multiple zones, rainbow smelt are banned.

Dead smelt are legal bait on Lake Superior and some of the nipigon river area ie Jessie Lake (pretty sure you can in Jessie). I tip with heads and tails, chum with the guts. In do not believe they are allowed to be used live anywhere. Even if you catch one on an inland lake it cannot be used as bait period. You can also use herring belly to tip (that little trick comes in handy when you forget your smelt!) Always read the regs because as you said they are banned in many zone, but not Superior. 

fishman1
On March 16, 2019 at 11:55 AM, BartBodd said:

Hey fishman01 a whole half ton full seems a bit excessive dont ya think?  Me and the mrs only take back what we consume. Usually a small ice cream tub works good for the 2 of us. Its tough to watch the uneducated walk away from the river bank being way over their smelt limits.

Good luck!

I questioned domer on this issue last year, he assured me he has a big family in Toronto, and the truck load would not go to waste, not sure about them being legal in inland lakes anymore. I am sure domer would not waste them, but yes I also believe a truck load is excessive, that's why I questioned him.

eddylives

Well said Domer.

There are a few out there that feel they have to stir the pot or save the world lol.

I know many people that take what would be considered a larger than required catch and they all get put to good use and that is their business.

Legally harvested is harvested legally lol

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Garbie

I'll stir. While not illegal to give give fish away to family members, it certainly isn't neighborly or respectful of other licensed fisherman. Fisherman that have paid for a license, have put back into the system. One license holder feeding a bunch of people seems more like commercial fishing, especially when it isn't for personal consumption.

• Like 1