• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Keith bourbon

Smelts soon?

Just a heads up, stirring for the sake of stirring will put you in a position where if you ask for help no one will answer. This is not because the people on the bored are not into a debate, but what they are not in to debating is changing a sustainable practice in this area that is older than all of us. No it is not remotely close to commercial fishing because no one is driving around with a scale charging for them. Anyone with hunter & gathering bloods or strong family values will have the desire to provide for their loved ones. That is literally humans most basic instinct. Furthermore, if you spent any time down smelting, you'd realise those people who are catching the fish are also filling up everyones buckets who are not. Last year at current river the guy who had the dock spot was just killing it and filling everyones buckets up (there was literally a line up). So, with that being said, you are risking people overlooking everything you ask by questioning people's completely legal activity.

Only you can prevent forest fires - Smokey the Bear

• Like 1

Some Old Guy

The truck picture with the smelts in the coolers were way more than one guy.

You are allowed to give fish away but it still counts as part of your limit. There’s no limit on smelt so.......

Smelts will not be in the rivers here any time soon. The water that is seen in our streams and rivers is water flowing over top of ice. 

Please don’t flame members.

Roger 

• Like 1

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Beaver

I think we all need to remind ourselves why we are on the forum in the first place. 

This isn't a rooster weighing competition, if it were Beaver would have already won.

We are supposed to be actively engaging in positive conversation not negative. 

Some old guy is absolutely right. 

BartBodd is right if he only needs a couple pails. 

Domer is right if he and his buddies want a truck load. 

I am certain that we can all agree that nobody intends to waste any. 

So let's get back to the topic at hand....

2 weeks or what?? Lol

Cheers all🍻

Beaver

Domer

Thanks guys. Don’t appreciate having my pictures put under the microscope and being interrogated for posting a pic. If u want to chat, PM me and we’ll chat. If u want me to scoop u a pail no problem. Don’t treat me like a criminal please. 

Domer

Thanks guys. Don’t appreciate having my pictures put under the microscope and being interrogated for posting a pic. If u want to chat, PM me and we’ll chat. If u want me to scoop u a pail no problem. Don’t treat me like a criminal please. 

Red_Nuck

I understand some people catch smelts for the sole purpose of fertilizing their gardens rather than using them as bait or dinner. What's everyone's opinion on this one? Is it even legal?

arvey

With all that's out there today to fertilize your garden I don't think this practice is necessary. I do remember living in Current River in the 60's this was common practice for many families. Also isn't there a law about wasting .

Keith bourbon

FFS, Lets get back to the thread here folks. Does anyone have any information on the rivers? Can i drill a couple holes at current river and net them or what? 

• Haha 1

Beaver

I wouldn't advise drilling holes Keith. You're a horny bugger aren't you.

I think patience is key here. 

You should be able to start dipping that net next week feller!

Took a cruise by the freestone on Saturday and it is already melted thru in certain areas. 

Definetly going to be an earlier run than last year's. 

Cheers all🍻  

Beaver

RickRaw

Anyone willing to PM a spot or two to try?  I know where most of the waterbodies mentioned here are, but unsure whether you fish right at the mouth or somewhere else in particular?  Aside from driving around night after night, waiting to see people out there, I will really be guessing!?  

Ive done current river last 2 years instead of driving out of town and did great. At the fishermans park docks. Lots of people but everyone was sharing space and having a great time. Id recommend watching the baord for the run and just going there. Its also a very safe spot. Ive also done mcvicars but didn't do as well. Just bring a net and start scooping

• Thanks 1

Wopfisher

Current river, mcvicker and McKenzie all produce well I’ve been doing good at current river the last few years myself but I think it’s Gonna be a little bit still.

Keith bourbon
1 hour ago, RickRaw said:

Anyone willing to PM a spot or two to try?  I know where most of the waterbodies mentioned here are, but unsure whether you fish right at the mouth or somewhere else in particular?  Aside from driving around night after night, waiting to see people out there, I will really be guessing!?  

Im with beaver on this one. Freestone is great and produces early.  But the only way to know for sure is get down there and dip a net! 

Superiormobile

I have not gone smelting for a while. Where is Freestone? Never heard of it.

BartBodd

I usually scoop at the Mcvicker or Current river. I sometimes make the journey out to the Mckenzie river as well but its tough to make it home after  a pop or 2 out there. I am always open to try new spots because the common ones can get very crowded (Everyones usually polite and will make room for you). Where is the Freestone River? Are there a lot of people that scoop it? How far out is it? 

Good luck!

Keith bourbon
13 minutes ago, BartBodd said:

I usually scoop at the Mcvicker or Current river. I sometimes make the journey out to the Mckenzie river as well but its tough to make it home after  a pop or 2 out there. I am always open to try new spots because the common ones can get very crowded (Everyones usually polite and will make room for you). Where is the Freestone River? Are there a lot of people that scoop it? How far out is it? 

Good luck!

Bart always nice to hear the anglers out there being courteous and respectful!  Freestone is great to get into with a good solid river bed. Plus nothing beats the taste of a freestone smelt!  I might try and get down to current river to check temperatures tonight. Keep you all posted! 

Trout05

Where is the freestone bin smelting my whole life never even heard of it?

Beaver

I was using the old Hüurpos trail or whatever there. Got pretty sloppy after it saw some action. I heard guys were taking the long way around down off the main road. I'll probably try that this year. 

Anyone had a look at the mouth of CR? That will probably be the first place I go. 

Cheers all🍻

Beaver 

Keith bourbon

Don't know if I've been that way before beaver might have to check it out. I usually head up the eagle nest a few clicks to a chicken trail and followed that to a creek. Creek brings you right down to the first snake bend. Great little spot to dip smelts

Domer

If anyone has an issue with my fishing, don’t hide behind ur screen. Come see me in person and tell those racist remarks to my face. Unbelievable. I should maybe post ur message for all to see who you really are. Keyboard tough guy. You weren’t there when we were fishing. U don’t know the situation so mind ur own business if u have nothing better else to do. This is an information forum. He also said that there is many of you that agreed with him. If you do agree with that racist than show your face too. Unfortunately there will be people who will argue no matter what. I will have to assume you live on chat forums like concerned citizens of Tbay. Sorry for this reply, Most people on here know who I am and how helpful I am when u ask. 

Beaver

Oh boy.

Just when I thought we were getting back to the topic at hand here. 

Maybe start a new thread titled "smelts soon (no anger)"

This is a shame fellas. Reel in the emotion here. 

Anyone wanna go for a dip tonight?

Cheers all🍻

Beaver

Domer

I agree. Let’s start this thread over with helpful info and no trash talk. Smelts will be another three weeks at the very least in my experience, unless we get a lot more mild temps and some more substantial rainfalls. This years run should be a good one. Smelts last year I felt were larger on average compared to recent years. Anyone ever try lakeshore drive for smelts? There is a few creeks that are accessible. When I was a kid my dad use to get smelts at cloud river. Smelts were smaller but plentiful back then. We never went back. Anyone else try there. I always get a rough idea when they will start running as my buddy in the Sioux will let me know when the run begins. Our run starts about a week after theirs. 

BartBodd

Hey Eager Beaver 

I was in the area after work and i took a couple photos. I agree with Domer it will be a couple weeks yet.

20190319_160711.jpg

Bobber Down
On 3/15/2019 at 8:49 AM, Keith bourbon said:

I give it 3 days

Screenshot_20190314-212143.png

This is what it looks like today. For a view of the CR go here http://fishingboard.thunderbayfishing.com/index.php?/topic/19703-mcvicars-creek-and-current-river-update-pics/

IMG_0720.JPG

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Trout05

I’m guessing they won’t be running until the 20th April and I heard of guys still catching them in cloud river a couple years ago never tried there myself thoe