• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
tracker

Moose Management Review and Survey

tracker

(Note- Copied from MNRF website)

Overview

We want to make moose hunting fairer for hunters.

Through the moose management review, we will examine:

• how tag quotas are developed
  • how hunters apply for tags
  • the process for allocating tags

Ontario will work with the Big Game Management Advisory Committee (BGMAC) to:

• examine ways to make the draw fairer
  • maintain healthy moose populations
  • maintain sustainable hunting for years to come

How to participate

The Committee will be hosting six listening sessions open to the public throughout May. Interested hunters, members of the public and organizations are invited to attend one of these sessions to share their perspectives to develop a path forward. Each session will be an open house format where visitors will have the chance to review information and share their thoughts with committee members and MNRFstaff.

• St. Thomas – May 21, 2019, 4:00-8:00 p.m.
    Joe Thornton Community Centre
    75 Caso Crossing
    Douglas J. Tarry Multi-Purpose Room
  • Peterborough – May 22, 2019, 4:00-8:00 p.m.
    Holiday Inn Peterborough
    150 George Street North
    Regency Room A & B
  • North Bay – May 23, 2019, 4:00-8:00 p.m.
    Davedi Club
    313 Airport Road
    Dante Hall
  • Sault Ste. Marie – May 28, 2019, 4:00-8:00 p.m.
    Quattro Hotel
    229 Great Northern Road
    North Ballroom
  • Thunder Bay – May 29, 2019, 4:00-8:00 p.m.
    Valhalla Inn
    1 Valhalla Inn Road
    Ballroom 1
  • Dryden – May 30, 2019, 4:00-8:00 p.m.
    Best Western Plus
    349 Government Street
    Sunset Hall

We will update this page as information becomes available.

Complete our online survey

We would like to hear from you on how tag quotas for moose hunters are developed and allocated through the moose draw. Your input will help inform Ontario’s Big Game Management Advisory Committee (BGMAC) recommendations for the future.

Send us your feedback through our online survey.

The survey will remain open until June 7, 2019.

Next steps in the review

The Big Game Management Advisory Committee, formerly the Ontario Moose Bear Allocation Advisory Committee, has been renamed to reflect their new mandate focused on all big game species, as well as the interests of resident hunters, non-resident hunters and tourist outfitters.

The committee’s first task will be to participate in the moose management review and develop recommendations on how to:

• develop moose tag quotas
  • allocate tags to hunters through the draw

We will continue to listen and engage hunters and stakeholders to inform future decisions on how tag quotas are developed and distributed.

After the review, the committee will provide their advice as requested, including on:

• big game management issues
  • big game quota reviews

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

arvey

Quite surprised at how few came to the information session , thought there'd be more I heard like just over 100 . Hopefully this is not an indication of how many surveys get filled out. If you don't show interest and voice your opinion then government will think hunters don't give a crap and you get what you get.

Good presentation ... This "new science" is sort of horse poop though because its something every hunter has been observing and commenting on since i moved to Thunder Bay. Hunters knew all along. It was mismanagement from the start and everyone knew it. The Ministry of No Reason should have been on this years ago. Atleast they 'appear' to be doing something. 

• Like 1

arvey
31 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Good presentation ... This "new science" is sort of horse poop though because its something every hunter has been observing and commenting on since i moved to Thunder Bay. Hunters knew all along. It was mismanagement from the start and everyone knew it. The Ministry of No Reason should have been on this years ago. Atleast they 'appear' to be doing something. 

I agree with you to a point , but there's other factors involved that helped the decline. I won't get into all the reasons because we all know them . The one that hunters avoid is blaming themselves for the decline . In days gone by when lots of tags were given out and party hunting is aloud ( say a party 6 not group have 3 to 4 tags they get 2 moose using up 2 tags but that's not enough we can't waste 50 bucks get back out and fill the last tags , this greed added to the decline and there's no denying it we're all guilty. )  You just can't point the finger in one direction everybody involved played a part. just my 2 cents. 

I remember thinking just that when I was working in redlake and came across a3 person party with a cow and 2 calf hanging. But at the very same time im not going to judge them for being lawful. Their party shouldn't have received so many tags in a time of decline. I wonder how effective removing the 10 dollar seal or whatever it is on wolves and just having it as part of the small game seal would be in getting people out there and helping out on the predation end of things? Ah the mess humans have made eh? At this point it really comes down to us hunters properly filling out our end of hunt surveys, report poaching and just do you best to personally practice sustainable hunting.

arvey

Here's some info I learned from somebody way more up to snuff on this then myself. Bears kill ratio is higher especially calves then wolves in the spring , wolves ratio is higher because they hunt all yr round . If a bear gets on to a cow and she going to calf he/she will follow to the end of the earth until that cow calves , bears have been know to pull the calf right out while the cow is giving birth. So the cancellation of the bear hunt played a big part in the problem we have today.  

• Like 1

Kaptain Kirk

The Mnr closing of spring bear hunt for twenty years  and the Mnr removing of the wolf bounty.  Had huge consequences that they didn’t think would happen which it did majorly. and then the deer started to take over, so the Mnr allows extra purchase of deer doe tags which they did. But at full price, no deal for the hunters. Where in other provinces they have sold them at a major discount to get the deer herd under control. Not here though. That’s just my 2 cents and my opinion on this decline of moose 

toma-hawk

Please fill out the survey, The new committee  members have a vast knowledge on moose as they have been working behind the scene for years representing us through the different organizations,to give us opportunities to hunt and fish. They need our input to help them work through the process on moose management, so please help them by filling out the survey,doing so also helps you in bringing a  quality moose hunt for everyone.

Rick

• Like 1

BuckNut

I didn't hear about the info session but a friend was there and gave me the booklet with the questions in it so I filled it out in the booklet before going online to do the survey.  However.... As I was copying my responses I happened to notice that for one of the sections on the line where it says for example "strongly support" on the left side of the page and "strongly oppose" on the right side in the booklet , the on line survey was reversed !!!  If I would have copied the location of the boxes I had checked off in the booklet to the online survey my answers would be the total opposite to what I wanted. I have to wonder how many guys have made that mistake and if the MNR have noticed this screw-up. 

Edited by BuckNut
to avoid confusion

toma-hawk

The  Mike Harris government canceled the spring bear hunt,for votes, without any science on the subject.Mnr just gets told what to do right or wrong.This is what happens when the unqualified tell the qualified what to do. It was pressure from Peta to cancel the spring bear hunt and he caved in for the votes,BS politics.

Rick