• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Big Guy

St. Croix Rods breaking

Big Guy

So second time in 2 years that I have had a St. Croix Rod break.  Last year it broke on a 12" snot rocket and today it broke on a small bass.  7' medium light Advix rod. Both times it broke just below the 3rd eye from the tip.  After spending $350 on a rod, I would have thought it would hold up better.  Sent it away for warranty work last time and I'll try again.  Anyone else have issues with St. Croix Rods?

Some Old Guy

Sounds like they are getting fractured. Like when you tap a pencil and every time you try to sharpen it the graphite breaks. 

Even placing the rod down in the boat and it’s rough out and the rod is smacking the side of the boat could cause it to break when setting the hook. 

I have had my St. Croix for over ten years and still going strong. 

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

fishman1

My buddy broke his, sent it away and waited a year. Yes a year, terrible service, give them a wide berth, stay away.

i broke a Spey rod last year, upon receiving it, the company had it back in the mail in 24 hours, that's service!

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

yes I had same rod break twice.. 1st time it was a 4 weeks second time was free and immediate repair .

. however this was before I started using rod socks and having a boat with a rod locker. 

Since then I havent had a rod break while fishing .  

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Foozer

I've had a couple break over the years, and had great customer service each time. 

They replaced one rod under warranty without issue. The others had expired warranties but they do sell top ends cheap and offer free shipping.

One of my steelhead rods had a tip break when a snag came lose and it whacked against a tree a couple weeks ago.  The rod sells at DnR for over 240.  St. Croix sells the top end for just 35 bucks with free shipping.

The website was hard to navigate, so I sent a message through e-mail.  They called me back in less than a day and offered to complete the order over the phone or by e-mail as the website is currently under construction.

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

Big Guy

I think I waited 6 weeks last year, not a big deal.  I will try bringing it in this week and see how long it takes.  At the end of the day I don't really care about time if it is covered under warranty.  God knows(and my wife) that I have waaaaaaaay too many rods to begin with lol. 

I always have my rods in cases or in the rod holder in the boat, never on the floor but I do understand things happen and maybe rod socks would be an good idea.  I was just surprised that after 35 years of fishing and honestly never breaking a rod, I have now broken the most expensive rod I own twice in 2 years. Guess I will see what happens.  D&R was great to deal with last time. If I get it repaired, maybe I will just mount it in a glass case and appreciate it from a distance.

jrock

Junk. When I was guiding there was always a pile of them broken.  Even the ice rods. I have had nothing but trouble with them . Would never recommend them to anyone.  Dosen't matter how good the warranty is.

crisop

Maybe I’m cheap but I just can’t see myself spending that much for a rod.  I just use ugly sticks or what’s a good price at Canadian tire and I still catch fish with them

• Like 1

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

dukesnider

Foozer you are correct, broke top end off on snag a few years ago and rod was past warranty but they shipped me a new top end for $35 as you noted. 

• Like 1

fishman1
4 hours ago, dukesnider said:

Foozer you are correct, broke top end off on snag a few years ago and rod was past warranty but they shipped me a new top end for $35 as you noted. 

$250 rod, they replace half for $35? Someone is making money.

• Like 1

dukesnider

fisherman 1 - it was a gift from my brother so did not pay the big $$$

Some Old Guy

I’m thinking 35 bucks might have been shipping?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

fishman1
8 hours ago, dukesnider said:

fisherman 1 - it was a gift from my brother so did not pay the big $$$

I was being sarcastic.but the markup is huge .

KyleC

I stay away from St Croix after buying their Rio Santo fly rod and it cracked at the connection the first time out with it didnt even bother warrantying it cause i heard their customer service was a nightmare

Big Guy

I sent this broken one off on Saturday morning.  Last time there was zero issue having it replaced.  Guess time will tell.

Zackcorbin1401

If you have a receipt they have absolutely no problem replacing the rod for me. Customer service was great.

Zackcorbin1401
On 5/29/2019 at 11:40 AM, Some Old Guy said:

I’m thinking 35 bucks might have been shipping?

Roger

That would be shipping I know they charge 35-40$ For that

Eyeguy

I've broken three rods in my life - all of them were St Croix, and probably only about 5% of my lifetime fishing hours have been spent using St Croix.  I don't own one any more!!!

Big Guy

I am still waiting to see if I get mine back.  Getting close to 2 months now.

Kory

I hate all those fancy rods they are made so cheap and delicate. Ugly stick is the only rod that I will ever buy. Took my girlfriends 200 dollar Fenwick one time and broke it while bending over to wash my hands and snapped on the side of the boat. I’ve literally dropped a cooler on my 40 dollar ugly stick and it was fine.

Bobber Down

Here is a video on why and how graphite rods break a lot easier than most people think they should. I to have broken a high end St. Croix. Operator error. I stepped on it. St. Croix replaced it no charge. I was lucky. In the end though, almost any rod will do. 

Screenshot (113).png

• Like 2

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Big Guy

I got my rod back last week after just over 2 months.  That baby was put away in storage never to be used again.  Bought an ugly stick elite instead lol

• Haha 1