• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

millingabout

Archery cow moose strategies?

millingabout

This year I was lucky enough to be drawn for a bows-only cow moose tag. I've never hunted a cow before with a bow and I'm pretty unsure of how I'm going to go about finding and getting within range of a cow. Has anyone else been successful in getting a cow with a bow, and care to explain a little bit of how they did it? Any pointers or advice would be much appreciated!

Andrew

Hurketthunter

I have not had the opportunity but if I did I would treat it as a spot and stalk hunt. I would be scouting lakes and slow meandering rivers from my canoe. Find where they are coming to water each morning and evening and then set up where I can stalk in when they show themselves. Depending on how predictable the movement is you could set up a blind within range of where the moose normally appear and then play the waiting game. Good luck. 

Hurketthunter

arvey

I also have a cow tag for 13 and is a first for me to hunt with a crossbow . What Hurkethunter said is pretty much spot on to my situation. The property I'm hunting has a river running through it and a game trail which is used regularly , last year I had 2 cows on my camera a couple of times and sign they're following the river. The spot I picked is good no underbrush and a 20 yard shot . I have a couple of deer spots too since I'm a novice at this what I did was flag a  distance of 30 yrds . good luck to all. 

jonut13

I know guys that have been successful hunting water feeding areas from tree stands on game trails and pinch points.  I have called cows into range using cow calls then having them close the distance with grunts and raking .

Also what Hurkkethunter said about spot and stalked has worked as well

scandiman

Stick to water. Ponds, creeks, lakes and the like. I’ve been successful with archery hunting cows by stick to paddling creeks and small lakes. Never easy to get within now shot by definitely doable if you find good habitat. 

Good luck

millingabout

Thanks so much for the replies! There seems to be a bit of a disagreement online about being able to call in cows using cow calls, but it has worked for you @jonut13? Some people say that cows will turn and go the opposite direction, but others say that cows will come to other cow calls. Im really looking forward to getting out there!

jonut13

Yes, I have had them come to look then finish with grunts and raking.  but of course it is a lot more hit and miss then getting a bull in.  But still beats sitting on the couch.

Thefishleclair

Was out cruising for Birds, Saw 2 cows together in a cut,  The first Cow started to leave and I grunted and she locked right up and turned broad side. Would of been a 30-40 yard shot so calling em in might be an option as she was interested in my love song. If not a slow crawl would get ya into position I would think. This place where I saw them would of been the best situation for a bow hunter.

• Like 1

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Bigbrookies

Like Jonut said,I have called cows out many times with both,cow and bull calls.They are curious when the rut is on.Matter of fact I called one out last fall, she came out with her calf,then about 10 minutes later a bull appeared hot on her tail.