• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hurketthunter

Staying warm on stand

Hurketthunter

Since it’s that time of year I thought I’d ask what you guys wear to get through long cold sits in the stand. I wear Helly Hansen heavyweight base layers followed by fleece pants and then heavy wool bib pants, a thick wool sweater under arctic shield jacket for wind stopping and a Pendleton wool coat as my outer layer. Baffin titan boots with thick wool socks and I can get through 4 to 5 hours sitting motionless at -20. What are you guys using? Anyone tried the thermacell heated insoles? How did you find them?  

Hurketthunter

Nnev

Man this weekend made for some cold sits!

I wear a pear of wigwam thinner socks, with thick smart wool socks over those. Muck arctic pro boots those kept the feet warm this weekend. Helly Hansen long johns with my snow mobile mid layer, Klim Inferno pants with huntshield insulated pants over those. The bottom half of me is locked in warm. Top half I get sloppy. I should have bibs. I have a merino wool undershirt, browning insulated hunting shirt, Fleece jacked and a hoodie over top. got a chill in the mid rif this weekend but otherwise did ok considering.

I looked like the Michelin man up there.

hunt or be hunted

At these temps I say screw the tree stand sites and go either one of 2 options - options one is get out on foot and push bush till I find deer to stay warm moving or I get into my insulated and heated elevated box blinds - I’ve spent way to many yrs for weeks on end sitting in a tree freezing my rear end off and finally said screw that 3 years ago ! But as for layers when I stay on stand in -20’s I would base layer with helly Hanson, wool sweat pants and sweater, then a full helly Hanson bib and top wind proof suit with scent locker, Baffin winter boots with a single layer wool socks with the thermacell soles on medium heat so ur feet done sweat 💦, the only bad thing I can say after 2 full season with them is they have no cushion in them, it’s like walking on plywood - Great for sitting but horrible if ur gonna do any long distance hiking or walking but other then that I love them and the 3 heat settings !!! Awsome out ice fishing in the pop up hut as well !!! 

jonut13

I also wear the Thermacell soles, the key I found was not waiting until your feet were cold before turning them on.  Once that happens they don't really help.