• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

theo.milo

Looking for hunting buddy/mentor

theo.milo

Very new to the area and hunting. Just moved here for school. I grew up in the bush but never had family members hunt. Have spent time up the Armstrong highway with success for grouse but have had no luck in filling my deer tag. If anyone has filled their tag and wouldn't mind sharing some knowledge Im eager to learn. Happy to pay some cash or beer for your time. 

Half skill and half luck lol. I havent got a deer yet this year and they are in my yard after dark every night. Now that theres snow look for tracks, find their paths. Keep putting time in. My first year hunting didnt even hear a twig snap whole season, so dont be discouraged

Silver

Got my first deer and moose while a student at LU many years ago. I can relate.

You need to scout and look for well used trails. Snow makes that easy.

I recommend using a tree stand once you find a good spot. Devon road area has a descent herd but check for private property. Go in mid-day, set up your stand and stay as late as you can. Go back at first light the next AM with a sandwich and a pee bottle. Stay until you're so cold you can't hold your rifle steady. After you dress out your deer, remove your tree stand.

Good luck!

naden

You can use the crown land use atlas to find crown land to hunt on and compare it to google earth imagery to find areas that have road networks and cutovers. Generally for deer the closer to town the better, the deer numbers seem to be down in a lot of areas further away from the city. As previously mentioned the Devon area is known for having deer and a lot of crown land to hunt on.