• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

jguenette31

Silver Harbour

jguenette31

I'm looking for places to ice fish that you can access by walking on the lake (I don't have a ski doo). I was told to try silver harbour, I'm just wondering how the ice is and how far out you have to go? 

Any information is appreciated. 

Thanks 

Nnev

Usually need to wait until Feb for that area to ice over.... if it does at all. We've been pretty mild this year, unless we get a brutal cold snap soon it may not get you into laker territory.  

jguenette31

Okay thank you, any other places not far from town that can just walk out on to lake and catch anything? Lake trout, walleye, perch or anything. 

Thanks,

Bobber Down

Hazelwood

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Michael J

I've been told recently Pass Lake is accessable by foot..

I'm going to check the conditions tomorrow as I live about a 15 min drive away

jguenette31

Okay please let me know, as well as how ice is and all.

Thanks

Michael J

I wasnt able too access....the snow was just a little to high for me to get threw

Michael J

Stopped at Pass Lake this evening and walked out about 20-30 feet,cleared 6 inches of snow....no slush,ice is pretty solid...going to try for a few Splake tomorrow morning 

Michael J

Thanxs

..and I'm not sure,i didnt get my auger in today

Fishog

Its going to a long wait before even going out just from shore. Ice was breaking up and down with thundering noises LOL 

Won't catch me out there for some 

33OaX5Z.jpg

• Like 1

Michael J

Thanxs for the photo and info/advice! 👍👍👍

Mr. Canoehead

I was at Silver Harbor once on a very windy day and my buddy and I sat in the car to finish our coffees before heading out...looking out towards the giant...noticed the ice starting to move up and down way out there.  Sat in the car and watched the ice all break up and wash in over the next 30 minutes or so. was about 8" of ice . Couldn't even tell there was any open water out there to begin with.

• Like 1

ottoman82

Still open water.  You can hear the ice crashing in the wind and waves.

20200121_132316.jpg

jguenette31

It hasn't been too cold this winter, starting to think may not even freeze

Fishog

Someone was walking out yesterday. Heard they caught a few fish but never heard what kind. Info came from a visitor to the landing taking pictures. Said ice was 3-5 inches. Not thick enough for me. One strong wind and I have seen it break up in a flash.

WoUJHR7.jpg

fishman1

Had a friend tow his ice shack out there one winter, used it for a month or so, fished, left and came back the next day, the ice was gone, broke away and the shore, shack went with it never t be seen again. Be careful on the big lake.

CountDupu

Anyone know ice conditions with the last few days of cold ? Worth even driving out? 

Thefishleclair

My bro went out on Friday. Said ice was waving and made him motion sick. It was also cracking lots. It’s not a place to play on till it’s locked solid. Don’t take much to break it up if the wind is the right way. 

• Like 1

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

ottoman82

Has anyone been out this way yet and have any updates on ice conditions?  

CountDupu

I was out last sunday there was 8" of ice. Few ice ridges to cross and at the time were popping and cracking pretty good. I spoke with a buddy who was out yesterday and was told it was much thicker than when we had gone and seemed safer to him.  

ottoman82

Thanks for the update CountDupu.

• Thanks 1

ottoman82

I was out tuesday and the bay seems locked up pretty decent.  There was no movement or waving of ice.  The first pressure ridge is passable just to the left from shore. There was 14-17" of ice in various spots all the way out to 90 FOW.  The ice is partially covered with a light skiff  of snow so it is slippery.  Fishing was good and I was targeting lake trout.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

CountDupu

Thanks for the update! Probably heading out there this weekend . 

ottoman82

Has anyone been out this weekend?  Looking for ice conditions since all this warm weather.  I am looking to head out tomorrow morning. 

Cheers