• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Bobber Down

Province bans camping on crown land

James01

Isn't "Province bans camping on crown land" the theme of the thread? I like discussing politics more than most, but slandering and calling names isn't really discussing politics - it just shows the limited depth and grasp people really have. Its easy to be a critic, even easier if it only amounts to being critical and negative. Some people here should stick to arguing about the steelhead run, or being less-than-helpful and obtuse to those asking for advice and information on fishing spots. (Or, go and argue on the "off topic" page.)

Snowball, thanks for the link … I was unaware of Trudeau's actions. I don't find them surprising. That being said - and back to the topic of the province banning camping on crown land - I am intrigued by Sport's idea of buying "a Wagner pass and go camping on private land." More information on that would be helpful and welcome.  

• Like 1

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

crisop

Here is the link to Wagner forest management page.  There is nothing on there for the Covid 19 virus so not to sure if they are allowing camping this summer but call them and find out

http://www.wagnerforest.com/

• Like 1

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Bobber Down

Locations to buy permits and cost http://www.wagnerforest.com/recreation-a-sport

IMG_1070a.jpg

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

James01
58 minutes ago, crisop said:

Here is the link to Wagner forest management page.  There is nothing on there for the Covid 19 virus so not to sure if they are allowing camping this summer but call them and find out

http://www.wagnerforest.com/

Thanks...

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

sport

Glad we are back on topic fellow sports people 🤗

I believe there is only 2 places to buy your yearly pass .

D & R which is closed

Fantasy Falls ---- Shell gas station -- ???  name changed again ....

in Kakabeka Falls  .... We used to get them at the store in Shabaqua but I think they stopped selling them .. might be a place in Ignace also for those who may live out that way . lots of parcels of land in their properties . use your provincial maps to locate the old abitibi  ( sp ) cuts which are now wagnor owned I believe . I hunt them every year and miles of roads for ATV and many lakes can be accessed as well .

crisop

It shows right on bobbers picture where to buy them. There is 6 spots but only two local places

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

nunez

If things don’t change Wagner has plans to close down lots of there access roads to anyone who isn’t a land owner/land lease/trapper. 

Wopfisher
6 hours ago, sport said:

Glad we are back on topic fellow sports people 🤗

I believe there is only 2 places to buy your yearly pass .

D & R which is closed

Fantasy Falls ---- Shell gas station -- ???  name changed again ....

in Kakabeka Falls  .... We used to get them at the store in Shabaqua but I think they stopped selling them .. might be a place in Ignace also for those who may live out that way . lots of parcels of land in their properties . use your provincial maps to locate the old abitibi  ( sp ) cuts which are now wagnor owned I believe . I hunt them every year and miles of roads for ATV and many lakes can be accessed as well .

I believe D&R is open again they closed for two weeks and just reopened last week I picked up some stuff last week there 

MetalFishing
On 4/16/2020 at 9:55 PM, Wopfisher said:

I believe D&R is open again they closed for two weeks and just reopened last week I picked up some stuff last week there 

9-3, one person in the store at a time 

• Like 1

Porkchop21

Heard from a CO that Wagner may be following suit with the crown land rules.....

PajamaSquirrel

I am also concerned that camping on Crown land may be restricted, although I speculate it would be based on numbers of people gathering for the camping activity, rather than the activity on Crown land itself.  

If camping does becomes prohibited on Crown land yet still permitted on private land and Wagner were to take advantage of it on their "property", that would be a selfish and irresponsible decision on their part -  in my opinion.  Meet the intent of social (physical) distancing whether there might be a loophole or not.

Going sideways for a moment - is anyone else still bothered by this whole "private property" b.s.?  From my research, the former Grand Trunk Pacific Railway was given the blocks of land by the Ontario government in 1905 as a construction subsidy.  They sold the land to Abitibi in 1951 - I've always known it as the Abitibi Freehold blocks.  At the end of 2005, this private forest land was sold to NorthStar Forest Ltd., a subsidiary of Wagner Forest Management Ltd (American company), who now allows recreational access to the land through a purchased permit system.  Ontario actually tried to outbid NorthStar and purchase the land back, and offered more money - but terms and conditions including an environmental assessment took too long and the sale went through for less money - $55 million for 196,000 ha.  Imagine the Province of Ontario being unable to take back, never mind buy back Crown land that they gave away for free.  This still bugs me, it should all be Crown land.

• Like 3

mad scientist
8 hours ago, PajamaSquirrel said:

Imagine the Province of Ontario being unable to take back, never mind buy back Crown land that they gave away for free.  

The Province gave away all kinds of land in Northern Ontario ("New Ontario") in the early 20th Century, in order to stimulate settlement and economic development in the Region.  And what they didn't give away, the sold dirt cheap (see what I did there....?).  

This is from 1914:

image.png.424461190c86df4c99424ed3c494f49d.png

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3

fishman1
10 hours ago, PajamaSquirrel said:

I am also concerned that camping on Crown land may be restricted, although I speculate it would be based on numbers of people gathering for the camping activity, rather than the activity on Crown land itself.  

If camping does becomes prohibited on Crown land yet still permitted on private land and Wagner were to take advantage of it on their "property", that would be a selfish and irresponsible decision on their part -  in my opinion.  Meet the intent of social (physical) distancing whether there might be a loophole or not.

Going sideways for a moment - is anyone else still bothered by this whole "private property" b.s.?  From my research, the former Grand Trunk Pacific Railway was given the blocks of land by the Ontario government in 1905 as a construction subsidy.  They sold the land to Abitibi in 1951 - I've always known it as the Abitibi Freehold blocks.  At the end of 2005, this private forest land was sold to NorthStar Forest Ltd., a subsidiary of Wagner Forest Management Ltd (American company), who now allows recreational access to the land through a purchased permit system.  Ontario actually tried to outbid NorthStar and purchase the land back, and offered more money - but terms and conditions including an environmental assessment took too long and the sale went through for less money - $55 million for 196,000 ha.  Imagine the Province of Ontario being unable to take back, never mind buy back Crown land that they gave away for free.  This still bugs me, it should all be Crown land.

I suggest that you and several,other put on their glasses and read the thread, Wagner to ban overnight camping.

• Like 1

Bobber Down
11 hours ago, PajamaSquirrel said:

I am also concerned that camping on Crown land may be restricted,

May be restricted?? Read the title of the original post.

Bans: officially or legally prohibit  or an official or legal prohibition

• Like 1

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

PajamaSquirrel

Everyone that jumped on my statement is obviously correct - Crown land camping is currently prohibited.  I was thinking ahead to the May long weekend and the traditional start of camping season and whether there would be continuation of the ban. 

As for Wagner banning overnight camping, I must've missed that somewhere - is there a link?

At least for now it looks like fishing can carry on: https://oodmag.com/news/no-changes-to-fishing-premier/

tbayfinn

1711131486_Annotation2020-04-23215919.thumb.jpg.8ea4d753ddbd335fdc7fc37ddb4d2539.jpg

On 4/19/2020 at 11:13 PM, PajamaSquirrel said:

Definitely an issue for me. The biggest land screw up in Ontario history and then repeated when the government didn't buy it back from Abitibi before Wagner scooped it. I'm sure a good lawyer could find that the original "sale" to Grand Trunk Pacific was likely flawed. But it's northern Ontario and no one in Toronto cares...

A snippet from Grand Trunk Pacific Railway history attached.

1711131486_Annotation2020-04-23215919.thumb.jpg.8ea4d753ddbd335fdc7fc37ddb4d2539.jpg

Dale

Such a contrast between Canadians and Americas , in Michigan protests have already begun against the bans on recreation,and Canadians are so eager to be good little citizens and obey government.if you are an adult you should be able to make proper decisions to keep yourself safe without the government dictating what we can and can't do, and if you can't it's probably best if you do stay home . Come on sheepeople grow a spine and stand up for your rights, after all this is still canada isn't it? Remember when the government says they're going to keep you safe you're about to loose your rights and when they're gone they're usually gone forever!

• Like 2

James01
14 hours ago, Dale said:

Such a contrast between Canadians and Americas , in Michigan protests have already begun against the bans on recreation,and Canadians are so eager to be good little citizens and obey government.if you are an adult you should be able to make proper decisions to keep yourself safe without the government dictating what we can and can't do, and if you can't it's probably best if you do stay home . Come on sheepeople grow a spine and stand up for your rights, after all this is still canada isn't it? Remember when the government says they're going to keep you safe you're about to loose your rights and when they're gone they're usually gone forever!

Do you remember the following? gm_morans_png.jpg

I believe the American flag bandana wearing, mullet sporting Cardinal fan was engaged in a protest (in the U.S.) over rights. Follow their example, I think not - because this is the kind of person protesting in Michigan and elsewhere. And it isn't just 'The Government,' its health experts - and its almost everyone in the know telling us to distance and isolate. What the virus and isolation/distancing is not is a conspiracy to rob us of our rights. I bet the guy in the photo used terms like "sheep peeple," "grow a spyne," and "stand up for y'all rights" as well (grammar corrected to reflect the 'iddiot' in the photo ;)). 

• Like 1

- Henry David Thoreau

oyo

Lol, anyone who thinks we don’t need social constructs is a moron. Like if people were just completely left to their devices we would all be killing each other. You get a good 50 years of civilization with minimal wars, suffering and poverty in the western world and all of a sudden we need to tear it all down because “muh rights”. We truly are lucky to be alive during this time in history, instead of literally any other era. 

• Like 1

FishinFinn
1 hour ago, oyo said:

Lol, anyone who thinks we don’t need social constructs is a moron. Like if people were just completely left to their devices we would all be killing each other. You get a good 50 years of civilization with minimal wars, suffering and poverty in the western world and all of a sudden we need to tear it all down because “muh rights”. We truly are lucky to be alive during this time in history, instead of literally any other era. 

I think you meant to say “moran”